Detectorists

happysouth

Oh, and Mackenzie was great on RHLSTP the other week, talking about Detectorists and the suggestion that he should round up the other cast members of The Office and remake it all from Gareth's POV, given that Gareth should've been the hero of the show who was relentlessly bullied throughout. Definitely recommended, but not recommended to the point that it should put anyone off listening.

• 5 months later...
Just now, Savage Henry said:

No comedy should ever have a laugh track.

The sound guy got the insect sounds and light wind hitting the leaves as well, just right. Everyone forgets the sound guy, he's probably a bit like Mackenzie Crook's character.

Have you ever seen M*A*S*H with the laugh track on? The DVDs have it as an option. I tried it once, lasted about two minutes.

Pretty sure it's only in this country that it doesn't have a laugh track, remember seeing once in the US, where it's still broadcast with the laughtrack and it is just weird and really turns it into another show entirely!!!

Sure I read somewhere that it was a complete accident that it was first broadcast here without it and it was decided to keep it turned off!!!

23 minutes ago, King Kebab said:

Pretty sure it's only in this country that it doesn't have a laugh track, remember seeing once in the US, where it's still broadcast with the laughtrack and it is just weird and really turns it into another show entirely!!!

Sure I read somewhere that it was a complete accident that it was first broadcast here without it and it was decided to keep it turned off!!!

You may well be right. I do remember that they once showed it with the laugh track by accident and were flooded with complaints.

22 hours ago, GordonD said:

Have you ever seen M*A*S*H with the laugh track on? The DVDs have it as an option. I tried it once, lasted about two minutes.

I could have sworn that I saw it with a laugh track.  Clearly, I didn't, but I could have sworn that I did.  I guess I'm conflating it with every other show of the era which did.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 20/11/2018 at 20:05, Savage Henry said:

No comedy should ever have a laugh track.

I thought about this, just looked at Seinfeld on amazon prime, has a laugh track and possibly better for it. I don't think there's an option to remove it but I feel if you did then some of the lines would fall a bit flat. Maybe it's because it was written by a stand up comedian and his style works with laughter after each line.

I think Taxi and Cheers had laugh tracks, maybe some jokes don't work without them. I think I prefer ones that don't have them, they're usually better without it.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...