St Johnstone v St Mirren - 04/10/14

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still think Muzz will go from strength to strength.

Think points like this are the key. Davidson should improve, Lappin should improve and McFadden will hopefully offer something if the manager shows the right faith in him. Millar and MacLean to return, Scobbie too (based on early season form) and once that happens we should be better. The ride to that point might not be pretty though and Lappin in particular could have done with a pre-season but that obviously wasn't possible with our signing policy.

Agree with the points made about Wotherspoon and Mackay too. Previously I've advocated playing Wotherspoon through any dips in form as Hibs always seemed too quick to drop him but can't see how playing him in this situation is helping anyone. As if losing MacLean and May wasn't bad enough, it's the worst time possible for our attacking midfielders to let standards slip. I think everyone was excited about the thought of Wotherspoon, Croft and O'Halloran battling for a couple of shirts in the summer but at the moment, they seem to be doing their best to try and lose the jersey. Croft was good when he came on today though and should have started IMO.

Mackay showed in the Scottish Cup final how good a defender he can be with the job he did on Mackay-Steven and he needs to make that his primary focus at the moment. He was absolutely nowhere for their winner. I don't understand why the manager is changing the defence when he doesn't need to either though. Fair enough if it's about Wright not playing 2/3 games in a week but that wasn't the case today.

I'm just hopeful that we can stay amongst whatever pack there is between 11-6/7th until we can start to bring these guys back. If we can, the second half of the season will be fine.

My only concern is if we become cut adrift from the likes of Dundee and Thistle and leave ourselves too much to do. These guys haven't previously had to fight relegation, at least with us anyway.

The Caddis for Brown substitution was bizarre btw, half getting this feeling TW is making decisions to try and prove a point to Steve Brown sometimes. I doubt thats true though

The Caddis for Brown substitution was bizarre btw, half getting this feeling TW is making decisions to try and prove a point to Steve Brown sometimes. I doubt thats true though

I hope that wouldn't be true. What seems more likely is that he's got few options as Brown has forced him to have a squad that is utterly limited in depth.

And we have had to do our transfers picking from the unwanted and the perma-crocks.

I hope that wouldn't be true. What seems more likely is that he's got few options as Brown has forced him to have a squad that is utterly limited in depth.

And we have had to do our transfers picking from the unwanted and the perma-crocks.

It was just curious as hed usually put McDonald on in that situation

I thought it was more because Brown wasn't having a great game and that Macdonald with Davidson wouldn't work in any way shape or form.

Despite our absolute abject shiteness for large periods we really shouldn't have lost that. At 1-1 we were well on top and looked like the only side likely to get a winner. A match fit and sharp Davidson would have taken one for the team and brought down the man who played the through ball on the half way line when he had the chance.

Need to see replays of the two disallowed goals but both looked poor decisions-the offside in particular. I was sitting pretty much in line with it and I don't think Graham got beyond Lappin until he received the ball. Kello made a bit of a hash of the first one as well.

Have some sympathy with a post on WAP suggesting we're not getting much of the rub just now. Today we've had a right back smashing one into the top corner from 25 yards then conceded a late, late winner on a counter attack against a team who had created nothing for the preceding 40+ minutes of the second half-all the while having two goals conceded. Frustrating to say the least.

Doesn't excuse the fact some of our players played as if they'd only just met each other for most of the first half.

O'Halloran is a particularly infuriating player right now. Not many in this league have his ability just to drift past a player at pace as if they're not there. But today he's gifted possession trying to beat a man just outside his own box resulting in a goal. He has a chance to atone for that straight from the kick off, goes clean through but takes far too long over it and spoons it over the bar. I can only assume the ball took a bobble as he hit it.as I can't see how he could physically get that far under the ball-he cleared the bar by about 15 yards.

Minutes later he ghosts his way to the by line and has all the time in the world to roll it to either Graham or Wotherspoon for a tap in-but instead plays it to the only yellow shirt in the box. I certainly wasn't surprised to see him hooked at half time. McFadden showed some good touches and was far more effective but is clearly short of

Fitness.

Did Goodwin deserve his booking for what might have been his 1st foul in the game or was it because of who he is ? Felt his booking last week against Celtic was unfair but not seen the 1 he got against Aberdeen.

Forgot to mention that! That was an awful decision. Felt it wasn't even a foul, and even if it was it certainly wasn't a booking.

That said, Goodwin doesn't take a telling. Having not got involved in anything daft before that he then dived in to two dodgy tackles shortly after. One he just nicked the ball and the other he was fortunate the Saints player managed to move the ball to a colleague otherwise it was a foul with him having gone through the back of his man!

Forgot to mention that! That was an awful decision. Felt it wasn't even a foul, and even if it was it certainly wasn't a booking.

That said, Goodwin doesn't take a telling. Having not got involved in anything daft before that he then dived in to two dodgy tackles shortly after. One he just nicked the ball and the other he was fortunate the Saints player managed to move the ball to a colleague otherwise it was a foul with him having gone through the back of his man!

Thank for your opinion :)

Did Goodwin deserve his booking for what might have been his 1st foul in the game or was it because of who he is ? Felt his booking last week against Celtlic was unfair but not seen the 1 he got against Aberdeen.

It was a stonewall booking. Clattered the boy after ball was away. Stupid and unnecessary imo.

It was a stonewall booking. Clattered the boy after ball was away. Stupid and unnecessary imo.

Did he?! Maybe I missed that as I followed the ball but the initial challenge looked like nothing? Was there something more after that?

Rory Hamilton, who does the YouTube highlights, says Brian Graham was clearly onside for the second disallowed goal. Those are the breaks though and we've still defended shockingly for the winner. Things like that annoy me more if we've played well.

I thought Goodwin's booking was harsh but agree with Jamie that he then made a couple of really risky and stupid challenges after that.

I thought the ball went backwards from Lappin to begin with anyway, so he couldn't have been offside. Still we didn't deserve the win, overall a draw would have been a fair result. Heyho I'm a saint optimist, then again at least I got to laugh at Wylde's corner, that was brilliantly amusing.

I thought the ball went backwards from Lappin to begin with anyway, so he couldn't have been offside. Still we didn't deserve the win, overall a draw would have been a fair result. Heyho I'm a saint optimist, then again at least I got to laugh at Wylde's corner, that was brilliantly amusing.

WTF was that corner about?! Outstanding.

Archived