St Johnstone v St Mirren - 04/10/14

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, he is out of position. To give him some credit, I wondered if he was struggling for a better sight of the ball, but there's no-one in his way! He can't really have expected our right-back to welter it like that, it was a one-game-in-40 shot from Naismith, but yeah, he was badly placed.

I've watched that over and over now (obviously) - I know I've bummed Callum Ball more than enough on here, but watch how his (lack of) movement buys himself so much space in the box. Three St Johnstone defenders walk past him, together, as six of them are drawn towards the ball. Callum was in a great position for a parry or if a decent cross had come in.

Yeah, he is out of position. To give him some credit, I wondered if he was struggling for a better sight of the ball, but there's no-one in his way! He can't really have expected our right-back to welter it like that, it was a one-game-in-40 shot from Naismith, but yeah, he was badly placed.

I've watched that over and over now (obviously) - I know I've bummed Callum Ball more than enough on here, but watch how his (lack of) movement buys himself so much space in the box. Three St Johnstone defenders walk past him, together, as six of them are drawn towards the ball. Callum was in a great position for a parry or if a decent cross had come in.

Ball's movement for the winner is superb too. He drags the defender out with him leaving loads of space for Drury to exploit.

Mannus's positioning is off. If he was a couple of yards to the right he may have been able to reach it. That may have put Naismith off from shooting, he does have a huge bit of the goal to aim at, he gets it right in the corner though.

Using the Lex school of thought, St Johnstone should be finishing below St Mirren every season due to budget sizes etc. it was a banker that St Mirren would win last Saturday.

St Mirren are awful and I'm finding it extremely difficult coming to terms with the fact that we might actually be competing with them this year. And no Europe? What is life.

Using the Lex school of thought, St Johnstone should be finishing below St Mirren every season due to budget sizes etc. it was a banker that St Mirren would win last Saturday.

We'd have been relegated years ago.

Thankfully, we have Hamilton to keep us up this year 8)

Still fuming from Tuesday :lol:

You might have a point if we clearly did have a bigger budget than St Johnstone, sadly for you we don't. Keep banging your head against the wall though.

Moving away from that obvious flaw though, are you arguing that budgets don't matter in football? If that's the case, then why do Celtic always win the league?

What are the respective budgets for the two saints sides then?

I don't know, it's you that keeps bringing them up.

Enlighten us all knowing one.

What are the respective budgets for the two saints sides then?

The last two PWC reports had St Johnstone spending marginally more than us on "Total Wages". Although not sure how valid they are now as that's covering seasons 2010-11(£2.71m v £2.21) and 2011-12 (£2.34m v £2.29m).

I'm sure you'll be waiting with baited breath on next months report on season 2012-13. ;)

You don't know yet you claim St Johnstone have a larger budget?

:lol:

' If we clearly did have a bigger budget ' Is what I said. We don't clearly have a bigger budget.

Unsurprisingly, and not for the first time on this thread, it would seem the facts have proved you wrong. Not more than 200 away fans indeed :lol:

Time to toddle off with your tail between your legs now, there's a good lad.

Or was that you just being a shitebag and getting the excuses in early?

So if it's as simple as that, why do St Johnstone massively out-perform St Mirren every single season with a similar budget?

So when did I say a bigger budget = definite win?

Why would you be "stunned" then?

So I never said it would be a definite win then? I was stunned that your team shat it at 2-0 up and let us get a point, an absolutely stunning result.

Toddle off now, I will see you on our next match thread.

Not sure what St Johnstone fans expect tbh.

Exactly. Can't expect to be top 6 every year. They were always going to drop down the league after a few seasons of overachieving. Same with motherwell.

Most Saints fans do expect us to drop away eventually tbh, budget restraints means its inevitable we'll eventually see the quality drop.

In all honesty I don't think there would've been as much frustration about the season so far if we hadn't had such an infuriating Summer. You can read Steve Browns actions and decision to tell TW he couldn't sign anyone in a variety of different ways, the simple fact is his actions brought a negative feeling into the club, and as such anything negative that happens since is intensified because of this. Its purely a feeling that we've forced a decline upon ourselves with our actions this Summer rather than it naturally occuring, and rightly or wrongly that feeling is shared by the majority of fans, and also seems to be shared by the manager and squad.

Or was that you just being a shitebag and getting the excuses in early?

So if it's as simple as that, why do St Johnstone massively out-perform St Mirren every single season with a similar budget?

Absolutely stunning? To get a draw at Pittodrie? Nonsense. Absolute nonsense :lol:

Why would you be absolutely stunned to get a draw at a ground where St Mirren have a decent record in recent years? That makes no sense at a all.

Still avoiding the question of why St Johnstone do massively better than St Mirren every season too.

You're stretching that phrase a bit there champ.

I missed what happened with McFadden.

How did he end up at St Johnstone - and so long after the transfer deadline day?

I assumed the only reason he was at Well last season was because he'd been with them before and that he'd be back in England this season, probably at championship level.

Think he's only about 30, but I take if the injuries have taken their toll?

Most Saints fans do expect us to drop away eventually tbh, budget restraints means its inevitable we'll eventually see the quality drop.

In all honesty I don't think there would've been as much frustration about the season so far if we hadn't had such an infuriating Summer. You can read Steve Browns actions and decision to tell TW he couldn't sign anyone in a variety of different ways, the simple fact is his actions brought a negative feeling into the club, and as such anything negative that happens since is intensified because of this. Its purely a feeling that we've forced a decline upon ourselves with our actions this Summer rather than it naturally occuring, and rightly or wrongly that feeling is shared by the majority of fans, and also seems to be shared by the manager and squad.

Random, our (near) collective off-form spell, particularly midfield, may be making it seem like the summer was the cause.

Possibly all I'd say is that it isn't ideal bringing players in as late as we did, but we have a decent squad.

We were concerned about playing one up front when MacLean got injured.

I was more annoyed that we were playing with one in midfield (Millar, the rest had been hopelessly off form, regardless of who comprised the four, until Davidson's return).

That we sat back and didn't play a pressing, high energy game didn't help, especially as it led to us conceding some very poor goals (United, St Mirren, Dundee).

Even off form, we probably ought to have taken at least a point on Saturday.

The league's tight. Still time to recover and mount a title challenge ;)

Archived