St Johnstone v St Mirren - 04/10/14

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was the first match I've seen since mid-August. Obviously it was a poor performance and the loss of Steven MacLean has clearly been detrimental, but I didn't leave McDiarmid Park with any real feeling of disappointment like I usually do after a defeat.

Maybe this is because I've already experienced the disappointment of hearing about everything seemingly falling apart at Saints and I was therefore expecting another defeat yesterday before the match had even begun. On the other hand, as is more likely the case, I think my expectations were lower than what I actually ended up seeing yesterday afternoon. I've been told that our performance against Dundee was considerably worse than yesterday and my opinion has maybe been swayed by not being around to witness the last few performances, but I still firmly believe that there is a lot of promise in this team.

The match was frustrating more than anything else, because of our waste of potential. We have some very good players in that squad and we should be getting better results, but they will come. Something just isn't clicking at the moment. Whether it is down to a lack of confidence or something else, I'm not sure. Our passing was off-kilter in the first-half and O'Halloran had a poor game, costing us their first goal and then missing a fantastic opportunity of his own, but what do you expect from a winger playing out of position? I thought McFadden should have maybe started the game instead of him, although it soon became clear that he is lacking a fair bit of match fitness. His flashes of quality are undeniable though and we'll undoubtedly become a far stronger force when guys like him, Simon Lappin and Murray Davidson are fully match-fit.

It was my first time seeing Brian Graham and he offered more than I expected in the second-half particularly. He certainly seems to be a player who would thrive from playing alongside another striker (most likely McFadden).

So, yes, a poor performance but I'm not worried yet. The team is lacking a bit of awareness. The midfield isn't creating enough for the strikers and the defence is getting caught out on the counter-attack far too easily. But we know the quality which some of these players possess. Once we get a couple of decent results on the trot, we should hopefully see a new lease of life within the team. Hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later and there will be no need for me to re-evaluate my opinions by the time Christmas arrives.

the poster was laughing at the size of support its just a case of pots and kettle . and some fkn wino from the gibby would know about c..nts

He was laughing because it was quite obviously nowhere near 800

Again, I know you love to over simplify things but I didn't say that. I dont think our poor form was purely because of TC, I just don't think he's that good a manager and we could be doing better regardless.

He might not actually be that bad behind the scenes but certainly his media appearances don't give off an air of competency and authority. Certainly more results like today and I couldn't give a toss what he says to the press.

What other factors contributed to our poor form, that are no longer applicable?

It's good you're retreating from your point of view. TC took plenty of criticism when we were doing badly, it was appropriate given the terrible results, he deserves praise when he manages to get excellent results like this. The pendulum swings both ways.

Just watched the highlights there...that o'halloran miss is ridiculous!

From the highlights it looks as if st Johnstone were a bit hard done by, particularly with Graham's disallowed goal.

Still, it's another game where we've sneaked a goal near the end. It's nice that late goals are going for us, rather than against us, this season.

I'd be raging if I was a StJ fan.

Totally inept officiating.

I thought there was more of a foul on Kello for the Anderson goal than there was for the disallowed one.

9 times out of 10 the refs don't like any contact on the goalkeepers. I think Kello made an arse of the first one.

I'd be raging if I was a StJ fan.

Totally inept officiating.

I thought there was more of a foul on Kello for the Anderson goal than there was for the disallowed one.

9 times out of 10 the refs don't like any contact on the goalkeepers. I think Kello made an arse of the first one.

That's my view of it. I can't see how Graham could challenge for that any more cleanly and Kello wasn't nearly strong enough. Is Graham meant to just let him catch it? Poor decision IMO. Offside is a shambles too.

Frustrated at how poorly we played but equally we've scored (IMO) three perfectly good goals and created two absolutely glaring chances. There's no way we should have lost, that's for sure.

Archived