St Johnstone v St Mirren - 04/10/14

Interesting game this one, for both teams.

We seem to have turned things around in the last 3 games after a terrible start. We will hopefully have at least a couple of our frightening injury list back and involved.

Haven't seen them play but from afar The Saintees seem to have had a relatively slow start to their league campaign by their standards.

Perth hasn't been the happiest of hunting grounds for us in recent seasons, so would be happy with a point.

Can't see us keeping a clean sheet so will go for another score draw, 1-1.

Kenny McLean loves a goal against St Johnstone and he's got 3 in 3 games, so will back him to get the goal for us.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Interesting game this one, for both teams.

We seem to have turned things around in the last 3 games after a terrible start. We will hopefully have at least a couple of our frightening injury list back and involved.

Haven't seen them play but from afar The Saintees seem to have had a relatively slow start to their league campaign by their standards.

Perth hasn't been the happiest of hunting grounds for us in recent seasons, so would be happy with a point.

Can't see us keeping a clean sheet so will go for another score draw, 1-1.

Kenny McLean loves a goal against St Johnstone and he's got 3 in 3 games, so will back him to get the goal for us.

We never start particularly quickly to be honest - last season being the exception to that rule.

Low scoring game on the cards - two teams who have scored 9 league goals between them so far (I think?).

Fingers crossed we'll have McFadden signed and at least on the bench. Graham needs support.

I've not seen the last 3 away matches, but it seems Wotherspoon has been struggling lately. It might be for the best to drop him and have Lappin, O'Halloran and Croft vying for the two wide positions.

A win puts us 8 clear of St Mirren again, so that would be nice.

We never start particularly quickly to be honest - last season being the exception to that rule.

Low scoring game on the cards - two teams who have scored 9 league goals between them so far (I think?).

Fingers crossed we'll have McFadden signed and at least on the bench. Graham needs support.

I've not seen the last 3 away matches, but it seems Wotherspoon has been struggling lately. It might be for the best to drop him and have Lappin, O'Halloran and Croft vying for the two wide positions.

A win puts us 8 clear of St Mirren again, so that would be nice.

11 if you include last night's result.

I'm not going into this game with high expectations, Perth doesn't seem to be an easy place to go for us. However, we've been showing a little bit more fight in the last few games (except a few times last night where Wylde looked like he couldn't be arsed running for the ball - but I suppose if Goodwin is constantly playing long crossfield balls to you for the majority of the game then it would get a little tiresome) and I wouldn't be surprised to see us get a point.

One thing I would do is change Marwood for Caldwell or Drury (if fit). Marwood seems to get pushed off the ball a lot and maybe needs to bulk up a bit.

Be good to get another home game after so many away fixtures recently. Hard to get too much of a gauge on our home form off the back of three matches. We were poor against Dundee but played well to beat Aberdeen and were pretty decent against Celtic before gifting them a goal and then suffering at the hands of the referee. If McFadden does sign, I wouldn't be too surprised to see him go straight into the side as we are lacking a spark without MacLean. Graham looks like he'll score goals but doesn't bring too much to the table in terms of his complete game. Virtually every fit player will be in the matchday squad but that doesn't mean the manager doesn't have options, especially in midfield. If Millar is fit, having him and Davidson allows us to play to two strikers quite happily though.

It might seem defeatist but like Kyle says, getting ourselves as far clear of whoever is in the bottom two places really has to be our objective at the moment. I don't think we'll make the top six this season and potential lack of goals is a concern.

Be an interesting game. Might go up for this one as it's been a while since I've been to McDiarmid Park.

Glad to see we look semi-competent now and can grab a goal. Defence is still shaky however.

Hard to see past St Johnstone as we have a poor record in Perth, but you never know.

I hope that the manager starts McFadden on Saturday. He won't last 90 minutes and it might not work but the alternative might be another match where we struggle to create chances despite having at least our share of the ball.

Mannus

Mackay - Anderson - Wright - B Easton

Croft - Millar - Davidson - Lappin

Graham - McFadden

If we can play well and get a result on Saturday, it sets us up well for what looks like a generous run of fixtures.

I hope that the manager starts McFadden on Saturday. He won't last 90 minutes and it might not work but the alternative might be another match where we struggle to create chances despite having at least our share of the ball.

Mannus

Mackay - Anderson - Wright - B Easton

Croft - Millar - Davidson - Lappin

Graham - McFadden

If we can play well and get a result on Saturday, it sets us up well for what looks like a generous run of fixtures.

I'd probably go with the same 11 to be honest. Good, honest 4-4-2 formation. It's balanced with 2 players on the wings with excellent crossing ability and McFadden will support Graham and provide the link between midfield and striker which has been so often missing lately. I'd like to see Davidson back to making late runs into the box again this season, something that brought him quite a few goals the season before last. If McFadden doesn't start, then I'd play O'Halloran in that position instead.

This is easily the most tame Saints v Saints thread of all time. Bring back Captain Sensible.

We don't have the 'trophyless diddy' angle to use against you anymore :angry:

Only been up to Perth for the footy once. Is there a pub closer to the ground than The Foundry (is that's it's name)? Was a cheery place for a few pints but the walk to the park was pretty sobering (in both senses).

Not that I know of, and bloody hope not. I don't think anybody knows if and when Plummer/Osborne are coming back, so without Goodwin we'd be fucked.

What a harrowing position that must be. :eek:

Archived