General Election 2015

Ludo*1

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe they feel they can persuade the "red Nats"(SNP no voters) that the only way to prevent independence is to keep the SNP out.

Kind of difficult to do. I am sure that those that vote for the SNP and are against Independence will be sure that if the vote ever arose again that it would go a similar way.

Kind of difficult to do. I am sure that those that vote for the SNP and are against Independence will be sure that if the vote ever arose again that it would go a similar way.

Are there people out there who normally vote SNP but who are opposed to independence?

If so, how many?

Are there people out there who normally vote SNP but who are opposed to independence?

If so, how many?

I am not sure how you could calculate the number but they certainly exist. If I remember correctly H_B stated he was an SNP voter at the last Holyrood elections, so they certainly do exist. I would expect they are the minority in much the same way as myself, who supports independence and votes SNP and will do so only until we achieve it.

Maybe they feel they can persuade the "red Nats"(SNP no voters) that the only way to prevent independence is to keep the SNP out.

That would mean trying to win over votes from the likes of my own sister. Won't happen.

I am not sure how you could calculate the number but they certainly exist. If I remember correctly H_B stated he was an SNP voter at the last Holyrood elections, so they certainly do exist. I would expect they are the minority in much the same way as myself, who supports independence and votes SNP and will do so only until we achieve it.

I'm in that category too and wouldn't have thought it would be much of a minority - in fact I was always under the impression that independence was the SNP's raison d'etre.

That H_B doesn't see see it that way isn't particularly surprising.

not a hugely beneficial calculation that, given you've got 37% of Labour voters voting yes.....

Now this, this would be sensational.

The SNP would be looking at 48 seats, Labour losing all but 6 of their seats. Crazy. That would be an absolute landslide. Jim Murphy would lose his seat to the Tories, who would gain a couple of seats. The Lib Dems would retain the Northern Isles, of course.

I can't see it being replicated on the day, but it would be an absolute kicking for Labour and prove that whilst the majority of voters here don't want independence, almost all of "the 45" and a good portion of the No voters are happy to back the SNP as the natural party of Scotland.

Also with the "Shy Tory" factor, we could be looking at the unbelievable scenario where the Tories overtake Labour in the popular vote into second place.

naughtymrchips1.gif

My parents are red Nats. They voted SNP in 2011 because they trusted their competence, but they don't believe Scotland should be independent.

Given that only around 20% of the electorate voted SNP in 2011 I'd guess that at least half of " the 45" did not.

My parents are red Nats. They voted SNP in 2011 because they trusted their competence, but they don't believe Scotland should be independent.

Given that only around 20% of the electorate voted SNP in 2011 I'd guess that at least half of " the 45" did not.

You don't really need to guess do you?

The Lib Dems will get wiped out everywhere, not just in Scotland.

Plenty of former Labour voters in England opted for them in rural swing seats to try and keep the Tories out, as many of them always have.

Should be an interesting election, UKIP will be taking votes from both the Blue and the Reds everywhere, probably in too small numbers to make a difference but it will establish them as contenders next time round.

Do you not imagine that a high percentage of the welfare vote will have listened/heard about Camerons clear message and think, sod that! You'd have to say that fear will drive a large percentage of these people to labour. If the vow is not implemented and understood do you not think fear north of the border will do the same and drive the votes back towards pushing labour. The inde Scotland dream, without the torries has gone now and the new reality awaits. Same could be said for the public sector workers who gambled on lib dem last time.

Saying that, I think the torries will walk it duu to the ridiculousness of the labour top team and Red Ed.

Do you not imagine that a high percentage of the welfare vote will have listened/heard about Camerons clear message and think, sod that! You'd have to say that fear will drive a large percentage of these people to labour. If the vow is not implemented and understood do you not think fear north of the border will do the same and drive the votes back towards pushing labour. The inde Scotland dream, without the torries has gone now and the new reality awaits. Same could be said for the public sector workers who gambled on lib dem last time.

Saying that, I think the torries will walk it duu to the ridiculousness of the labour top team and Red Ed.

It depends, the poor don't generally vote. Hell, even in the recent referndum's massive turnout, that still lagged behind the national average in places of lower income. So from a Tory point of view, pissing on people who generally don't have a say in how things work is good politics (and is one of the very good reasons, as a Scot, I voted Yes - but anyway).

As for up here, I think Labour used a shed load of their remaining political capital up here in the referendum, something that had been ebbing for years. They are up against an organised party number 7 times their size up here, with their heartlands having defied the party over Indy and with huge swings to the SNP previously in 2011.

It depends, the poor don't generally vote. Hell, even in the recent referndum's massive turnout, that still lagged behind the national average in places of lower income. So from a Tory point of view, pissing on people who generally don't have a say in how things work is good politics (and is one of the very good reasons, as a Scot, I voted Yes - but anyway).

As for up here, I think Labour used a shed load of their remaining political capital up here in the referendum, something that had been ebbing for years. They are up against an organised party number 7 times their size up here, with their heartlands having defied the party over Indy and with huge swings to the SNP previously in 2011.

Jimmy Reid even came over to SNP when he was alive a political giant

I've not seen the stats over vote solits/low turn out per region. Have they been released yet?

I only ask out of curiosity as to the university towns voted?

Dundee and Glasogw went Yes, Edinburgh and Aberdeen No. Not seen St Andrews but that was definitely a No, should be renamed Richard Curtis land.

Archived