General Election 2015

Ludo*1

Erm no, no it wasn't. The part omitted was a ramble that said absolutely nothing about what qualifies a candidate in terms of 'life experience' and to successfully deal with the challenges - or what any of these challenges are - in such a role.

Must try harder.

No, the part omitted pointed out that his focus for all his adult life has been his own development. To expect him to suddenly shift to being motivated by a desire to represent others would be naive at best. To expect him to be able to understand the myriad issues which trouble constituents of all ages would be unrealistic in any case.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really: what skills equip a 40 year old candidate to handle the apparently huge challenges of representative politics, when are they conferred, and once again, do they come with a wee 'life experience' certificate?

I'd suggest that someone with a credible legal background, in this case, would actually be far better qualified to help out their constituents with their problems* than most beetroot-faced nobodies standing for election. Why do you think otherwise?

* Assuming that they get past the word salad dissertation that would accompany every communication.

I'd prefer fewer lawyers in politics, but of course that's just a personal preference.

No, the part omitted pointed out that his focus for all his adult life has been his own development.

Really; based on what detailed, biographical knowledge that you possess?

To expect him to suddenly shift to being motivated by a desire to represent others would be naive at best. To expect him to be able to understand the myriad issues which trouble constituents of all ages would be unrealistic in any case.

As opposed, of course, to the range of altruistic fonts of wisdom standing in every seat across the country. :1eye

Which "myriad" issues are these anyway - seeing as the term has been used about 25,000 times without anyone explaining what they are - and what qualifies a candidate to deal with them. Legal qualifications? That life experience certificate?

In any case it seems that some of the more venerable posters on here are confusing the work of an MP with that of a professional psychiatrist or social worker.

I'd prefer fewer lawyers in politics, but of course that's just a personal preference.

I'm certainly not a fan. But if the ability to handle the problems of constituents is a high priority of an MP - which the life experience crew have deemed it to be - then possessing credible legal qualifications is actually far more useful than having spent 25 years working in any form of lay employment.

Which blows a hole in their otherwise convincing argument well below the waterline.

Indeed. A candidate who had openly stated that he disagrees with "his" party's policies doesn't seem the most credible person I'd want to represent my interests though.

Isn't that a good thing? I'd prefer a candidate who can show he thinks for himself over a party drone who blindly thinks whatever his party tells him to think.

I'd settle for a few less crooks.

Tell you what though, I think it's irrelevant what age someone is. It's about their ability and passion to do the job that counts.

No argument from me there.

I'd say an empathy with their constituents should be pretty high up the list as well. Not something evident in the majority of MPs we've already got, but following their example ain't going to get my vote. We need a reconnection with the electorate, not another raft of those who believe only they know what's best for the people.

Isn't that a good thing? I'd prefer a candidate who can show he thinks for himself over a party drone who blindly thinks whatever his party tells him to think.

So would I. Is the option to stand as an independent candidate not available to this young man?

Is someone able to tell me which current high profile politician first stood for election at the age of 22 in a seat that they had absolutely no chance of winning (Glasgow Shettleston) in 1992?

Nicola Sturgeon?

I'm certainly not a fan. But if the ability to handle the problems of constituents is a high priority of an MP - which the life experience crew have deemed it to be - then possessing credible legal qualifications is actually far more useful than having spent 25 years working in any form of lay employment.

Which blows a hole in their otherwise convincing argument well below the waterline.

I don't necessarily agree. 25 years worth of experience in any job can be incredibly beneficial.

I'd love to see a parliament more connected with ordinary people in this country.

What about we force members of the public to do their stint in parliament? A bit like jury duty?

The Westminster political system is rapidly following that of Washington dc, utterly disconnected and corrupt as hell.

The roman empire collapsed, partly due to similar issues.

Isn't it strange how so many posters on here equate "life experience" with employment? I'll stick my neck out here and say there are people in this country who have not had paid employment for decades who have infinitely more "life experience" than the majority of the Party drones elected to represent them.

Has David Cameron ever tried registering at an NHS dentist after moving house?

Harriet Harman - when was the last time she had to choose between keeping her family warm or fed?

Has Nick Clegg ever had to accept a job where traveling to it takes up nearly as long as his paid shift, and costs upwards of fifteen per cent of that pay - or face having no income at all?

Does any MP know - or care - how it feels to be on a demand contract at minimum wage?

I don't necessarily agree. 25 years worth of experience in any job can be incredibly beneficial.

25 years working as an admin assistant isn't going to be any use in a constituent's complex legal issue, is it? Nor would time spent sitting on their hole watching Judge Judy.

So in which task of political representation, specifically, does experience trump qualification, or indeed any other quality of a respective candidate?

Isn't it strange how so many posters on here equate "life experience" with employment? I'll stick my neck out here and say there are people in this country who have not had paid employment for decades who have infinitely more "life experience" than the majority of the Party drones elected to represent them.

Harriet Harman - when was the last time she had to choose between keeping her family warm or fed?

Has Nick Clegg ever had to accept a job where traveling to it takes up nearly as long as his paid shift, and costs upwards of fifteen per cent of that pay - or face having no income at all?

Does any MP know - or care - how it feels to be on a demand contract at minimum wage?

Since when did the above constitute the sum total of "life experience" though? Studying at university is a life experience, campaigning on the streets for election is a life experience; just because they don't mirror the 1950s benchmarks set by an embittered old male culture doesn't actually disqualify them.

25 years working as an admin assistant isn't going to be any use in a constituent's complex legal issue, is it? Nor would time spent sitting on their hole watching Judge Judy.

So in which task of political representation, specifically, does experience trump qualification, or indeed any other quality of a respective candidate?

MPs represent constituents. They don't give them legal advice.

Their job is not necessarily to solve the problems, but to listen, ask questions, and try to bring about change.

I want trade union reps, teachers, doctors, social workers, businessmen and many of the other jobs that have no legal experience.

Good points.

Reminds of a bit in Brooker's Weekly Wipe last week where young folk were questioning the leaders and one guy asked Miliband if he'd ever done anything ordinary outside politics. In short, he hadn't and the closes he came to it was 'lecturing in government and economics at Harvard'.

Watch him squirm around the 28m mark:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b052sl0y/charlie-brookers-weekly-wipe-series-3-episode-3

Archived