General Election 2015

Ludo*1

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deary me.

Well it's pretty clear that the myriad of young folk on here don't like being told they have to gain experience before being trusted with important work.

You want and expect everything to happen instantaneously but adult life simply doesn't work that way.

You're heading for disappointment in life because everything important is pretty much controlled by 35-55 year olds and they almost overwhelmingly think young people can't be trusted to wipe their own arses and will treat you accordingly until you prove otherwise.

I can't even print what over-55s think about you.

Personally I disagree with that but this idea that you can have what you want, when you want it, the way you want it is going to lead many of you to disappointment in your lives.

A very select few may well get very high up the tree very young but they are in a tiny minority.

Of course I may be wrong.

This forum could be full of people under 30 who run large government and private industry departments.

Perhaps we are overflowing with 25 year old entrepeneurs.

In which case let's hear from you.

Well? Where are all the 25-30 year old captains of industry and commerce?

In what way is Ad Lib getting absolutely horsed (no offence) in an election an example of getting what he wants, when he wants it?

You should definitely tell that to tobacco and alcohol firms, the DVLA, cinemas, the army, the police, life insurance companies, car insurance companies, the government (regarding the minimum voting age), the home office (regarding the minimum age for consensual sex), the navy, the RAF, private residential letting agencies, companies hiring staff, nightclubs, most pubs and those responsible for golf club membership.

Did I miss anyone?

:lol:

Can we change the subject??

Oaksoft, ffs man :lol:

How is Ad Lib or any other young candidate an example of wanting immediate gratification? It couldn't be further from the case. Presumably even getting to the candidate stage has involved years of party activism in his own time (sure being an active Lib Dem member was a fun gig as a teenager). The system of putting young folk in seats that they'll never win is a very long term process as well.

I'd rather George Foreman grill my own wang than vote for Ad Lib or any other Lib Dem but what he's doing is ultimately fairly ballsy. Getting to a certain age isn't an achievement, in fact what you're saying takes a breathtaking level of generational entitlement. The hypocrisy reeks.

And the greatest politician failed his biggest test!

You failed on September 18th. When Scotland inevitably gains it's Independence, Salmond's role in taking the SNP and the idea of Independence from the margins will be remembered as monumental.

Lucky he wasn't a shitebag that waited around until he was 40 to get going with his remarkable achievements 8)

I personally would like my elected representative to have done something else before going into politics - I'm not setting an age here.

My current representative was a career politician who came straight from student politics. He is a rip roaring c***. The last thing I want is for him to be replaced by someone else coming straight from student politics.

I've also done a PhD and spent many years in industry, brought up a family etc, and I can assure you that your guarantee is nothing of the sort.

Absolute bollocks. Most jobs, no matter what they are, you go in, do what you're told within a fairly narrow specification and repeat, especially in your first few years. In a PhD you're pretty much entirely responsible for your own work. Of course it can depend on your area but the range of things you have to learn (usually on your own) is far far greater than the vast majority of jobs.

I'm not saying a PhD counts for more than decades of work or 'life' experience but I'm pretty confident there's not many jobs I could have done for 3-4 years which would have given me better experience than doing a PhD (and the vast majority or 'average' job wouldn't have taught me anywhere near as much).

I've found moving from a PhD to a "proper" job to be incredibly restrictive.

Deary me.

Well it's pretty clear that the myriad of young folk on here don't like being told they have to gain experience before being trusted with important work.

You want and expect everything to happen instantaneously but adult life simply doesn't work that way.

You're heading for disappointment in life because everything important is pretty much controlled by 35-55 year olds and they almost overwhelmingly think young people can't be trusted to wipe their own arses and will treat you accordingly until you prove otherwise.

I can't even print what over-55s think about you.

I haven't seen anyone say that years of experience in a particular field doesn't make someone more suited to having more responsibility in that field. Of course that is usually a massive factor. But we're talking about becoming a politician. Years spent in a different job don't necessarily drown out other strengths or experiences.

I'm sure a lot of middle aged idiots don't trust young people to wipe their own arses. That's why they're viewed as generalising idiots.

You should definitely tell that to tobacco and alcohol firms, the DVLA, cinemas, the army, the police, life insurance companies, car insurance companies, the government (regarding the minimum voting age), the home office (regarding the minimum age for consensual sex), the navy, the RAF, private residential letting agencies, companies hiring staff, nightclubs, most pubs and those responsible for golf club membership.

Did I miss anyone?

Aye. You missed quite a few.

There are a number of jobs you cannot do until you reach a certain age - the most obvious of which is Driving Instructor (must be at least 21 & held a licence for 3 years)

My own job is another. If I had qualified before I was 21, I would have had to wait until my 21st birthday to be appointed.

No such argument applies to standing as a MP though. Westminster has specifically set the minimum age as 18. Accordingly, Libby has just as much right to stand as anyone else.

No such argument applies to standing as a MP though. Westminster has specifically set the minimum age as 18. Accordingly, Libby has just as much right to stand as anyone else.

I think his point is that there should be a law that says you have to be older to be an mp.

Does anyone know if any other countries have any age restrictions?

I think his point is that there should be a law that says you have to be older to be an mp.

Don't know about elsewhere, but I do know that the UK changed the law in 2006. Before then, you had to be 21.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7788472.stm

"In 2006 the minimum age for becoming an MP was cut from 21 to 18, raising the prospect of teenagers in Parliament.

Tony Benn's 19-year-old granddaughter Emily Benn has been selected as the Labour candidate for East Worthing and Shoreham."

Aye. You missed quite a few.

There are a number of jobs you cannot do until you reach a certain age - the most obvious of which is Driving Instructor (must be at least 21 & held a licence for 3 years)

My own job is another. If I had qualified before I was 21, I would have had to wait until my 21st birthday to be appointed.

Yeah I don't understand the arguement. If an 18 year old stands for election in your constituency then it is one of the many factors you can take into account in deciding whether to vote for him or her. Personally I would be less inclined to vote for someone of that age but I would not argue against them being allowed to stand.

Oh I would so love to see Ad Lib knocking on the door of some poor old widow while babbling on about the intricacies of EU legislation like some sort of demented thesaurus.

Can we discuss this? Also, Reynard's standing too. I'd like that discussed.

You must be at least 35 to be the US president. Not sure about any countries having restriction on bog standard MPs though.

Archived