General Election 2015

Ludo*1

So the 45 year old admin assistant runs the company then? A simple yes or no answer will suffice.

I'm sensing that chip on your shoulder beginning to tremble. Nobody is impressed by your philosophising now, given that you couldn't even explain what your term 'life experience' actually means.

Are you sticking your hat in the ring for position of pedantic arsehole on the off chance that ad lib gets elected?

Life experience is a perfectly acceptable term to be using and some jobs need it more than others. I'd suggest members of parliament should definitely have some.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My constituency!

Do you live in the seat?

I don't live in the constituency, no. I have close links with the constituency party though. I was asked to put my hat in the ring and obliged as they are a decent enough bunch and would benefit from some fresh blood if they are to rebuild the party infrastructure. I'm under no illusions that it's anything other than an historically unfruitful seat for Liberals, having last been won by one almost a century ago.

Are you sticking your hat in the ring for position of pedantic arsehole on the off chance that ad lib gets elected?

Life experience is a perfectly acceptable term to be using and some jobs need it more than others. I'd suggest members of parliament should definitely have some.

What, then, is a working definition of 'life experience', and what qualifies a candidate in this respect?

Be extremely specific, given the disastrous efforts of oaksoft so far.

Is that a serious question?

Anyone under 40 who hasn't had at least a decade working outside politics is a bare minimum requirement for credibility.

22 years old we're talking here. Someone else is standing at the age of 19.

That is just absolutely fucking ludicrous.

At that age you've barely started shaving.

There's a very good reason why virtually every single company in the country makes young people start at the bottom of the pile and why people between 35-55 basically run everything important.

At 22 you've barely started shaving? Whit? You were defo a wee skinbaws at the school.

Considering how utterly dreadful some politicians are with whatever the hell life experience is. It maybe isn't the worst idea to shunt the baby boomer generation to the curb where they belong.

It is pretty brave to put your neck above the line and run for public office. You do have expend a lot of time and energy as well as risking making a tit of yourself. It's certainly a lot easier to hide behind a screen and bitch about those meddling kids.

You admire them for applying for one of the cushiest jobs in civilian life with a gold plated pension?

I'd admire Ad Lib more if he had the self awareness to realise the gravity of the job position required someone who had genuine life experience to be able to do it properly.

Instead he's thinking only of his own career without giving a second thought to the constituents who may end up with a total novice to turn to when they have problems which need attention from their MP.

For a potential public servant, that's a bloody awful personal characteristic to have.

Do you really think I'm doing this to further my career prospects? What possible career advantage is to be gained from standing in a seat that the Liberals haven't won for a century? If I was doing this for career advancement I probably wouldn't be in the Liberal Democrats.

I'm certainly not doing it for the money. Money doesn't motivate me. If money motivated me I wouldn't be in academia just now. I'd be onto my legal traineeship by now if that was important to me. I live comfortably with my stipendiary scholarship and tutoring pay and do what I do because it's something I care about and am interested in.

If the constituents of East Renfrewshire think I lack the experience or advocacy skills to represent their interests and values in the national legislature it is entirely their prerogative not to vote for me. I do believe, however, that I am a capable, diligent and politically aware individual who, if called upon, would do no worse than many of the existing elected representatives at protecting and furthering constituent interests.

Thanks for your support.

As I said elsewhere, good luck mate no matter what happens. For all the folk that moan and greet about politics, it takes someone with a fair set of baws (or in your case, a death wish ????) to put their head above the parapet.

I will personally pay yer fine if you lob an egg at Spud ????

Our current First Minister stood for election in Glasgow when she was 22. She seems to have done alright :P

Ability, not age should be the defining factor in any career. Suggesting otherwise is Alan Hansen "you'll never win anything with kids" logic.

if called upon, would do no worse than many of the existing elected representatives at protecting and furthering constituent interests.

Please put that on your leaflets.

Good luck with it all anyway, I think it looks like a lot of fun and something I would seriously consider doing in the future but not before google get that erasing your history thing sorted out. Also think it takes a bit of balls to get up there and do it.

Maybe do a sponsored P&B phrasedropping exercise in your concession speech.

Do you really think I'm doing this to further my career prospects? What possible career advantage is to be gained from standing in a seat that the Liberals haven't won for a century? If I was doing this for career advancement I probably wouldn't be in the Liberal Democrats.

I'm certainly not doing it for the money. Money doesn't motivate me. If money motivated me I wouldn't be in academia just now. I'd be onto my legal traineeship by now if that was important to me. I live comfortably with my stipendiary scholarship and tutoring pay and do what I do because it's something I care about and am interested in.

If the constituents of East Renfrewshire think I lack the experience or advocacy skills to represent their interests and values in the national legislature it is entirely their prerogative not to vote for me. I do believe, however, that I am a capable, diligent and politically aware individual who, if called upon, would do no worse than many of the existing elected representatives at protecting and furthering constituent interests.

Handy Tip No1. Try not to call any black or asian kids "the ghetto brigade", if you get onto the subject of class or race.

You admire them for applying for one of the cushiest jobs in civilian life with a gold plated pension?

I'd admire Ad Lib more if he had the self awareness to realise the gravity of the job position required someone who had genuine life experience to be able to do it properly.

Instead he's thinking only of his own career without giving a second thought to the constituents who may end up with a total novice to turn to when they have problems which need attention from their MP.

For a potential public servant, that's a bloody awful personal characteristic to have.

While I'm against people going from school to uni and straight into politics. It doesn't mean to say that someone in their early 20's shouldn't be running for political office, as long as they have at least some degree of experience in the free market. Preferably a job that is a wealth creating one and not a wealth destroying one. Mind you we have MPs who show up for votes. Not knowing what they're voting on; hardly ever show up for debates and don't respond to e-mails sent by their constituents.

Archived