General Election 2015

Ludo*1

Also, do you have some links to these claimed costs and who claimed them?

Yes.

"the Government has spent more than £100,000 of public funds going to the Court of Session" - Herald editorial, later editted to £12,000.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/comment/herald-view/salmonds-darkest-day-in-government.19227838

"More than £100,000 of public funds has already been spent on this case alone" - Scottish Conservatives:

http://www.scottishconservatives.com/2012/09/salmond-challenged-to-reveal-nato-advice/

Mike Crockart, Lib Dem MP, claimed the legal costs were £100,00 in the House of Commons during PMQs

http://news.stv.tv/politics/196596-salmond-i-was-right-to-withhold-legal-advice-on-eu-and-ill-do-it-again/

"Mr Salmond... has essentially responded by sticking two fingers up at that electorate while handing them the bill (which will be upwards of £100,000)" - Sophie Rodgers, Huffington Post

http://archive.is/xmFir

My original point stands.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The complete and utter fail of Busted Flush is captured in one article.

Official election returns show Jardine's campaign splashed £42,454 between December and polling day, compared to £17,511 spent by Salmond and his team.

The LibDem outlay in Gordon was just £100 less than the party spent in five Edinburgh seats.

On a campaign blog on May 3, Jardine wrote: "We've never produced so many leaflets, letters and postcards. We've never raised (and spent) so much money. And it's all been worth it."

How did that work out?

Four days later Salmond increased the SNP vote share by 25.5 per cent to win by 8,687.

post-41030-14361760845819_thumb.jpg

To be fair they offset in other ways. The Liberal Democrat candidate in Ayr Carrick and Cumnock officially spent the grand total of £0. But £42k is an outrageous figure to spend.

Wasn't just the Lib Dems though. Sandra Osborne spent over £13k fighting her losing battle, compared to IIRC £3k for her SNP opponent.

Just goes to show spending the most doesn't necessarily win you elections.

All election expenses freely available to view at your local council offices if you are so inclined

Very, very pleasing article.

They ran a disgraceful, gutter campaign in Gordon and it was so pleasing to see Eck trounce them.

Mundell spent almost £47000 (£13000 more than the opposition combined) and won by 700 votes so so considering he's now on a ministerial wage it would be money well spent for him. Imagine the scenes if he fell.

The SNP were comfortably third in spending in both seats and romped home in one and narrowly lost in another. Which in a very Britnat region is just ridiculous and shows how well the SNP grassroots is currently working.

Russell Brown spent over 24 grand out of 28 on leaflets. Why do political parties think people actually pay attention to these things when the internet exists?

I see wee fat Salmond copping some flack in several pages of the press yesterday for squandering thousands of taxpayers money on a slap up meal at the Champany near Linlithgow.

Wonder if him and his cronies attending have anything to do with them having their Michelin Star revoked?

Sure you'll have some evidence of this "thousands squandered by fatty and his cronies" and you're not just making a fool of yourself as per.

Sure you'll have some evidence of this "thousands squandered by fatty and his cronies" and you're not just making a fool of yourself as per.

Why is it that unionist Salmond detractors are always so keen to fling shite about?

It was £1000. Not "thousands". And during his time as First Minister.

Fair enough I'd say. Though amusingly the kind of fat cat extravagance the plaid-wearing clowns would denigrate in an Osborne or Cameron.

Only thing I can find about this Salmond meal is behind a paywall.

What's the story here, who was the dinner for? I really don't know any of the details here - asking with genuine curiosity. If someone can provide me the details, I'll criticise him if I think it sounds dodgy.

What's the story here, who was the dinner for? I really don't know any of the details here - asking with genuine curiosity. If someone can provide me the details, I'll criticise him if I think it sounds dodgy.

It was a bit of a going away party for him. What sounds dodgy is his getting one of his underlings to pay for it, so it didn't appear on his expenses and he could try and hide it.

A bit of a jolly around Ryder Cup time after his referendum defeat, and he'd announced he was going.

http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx

I'm like you. The only thing you can read is that it was during the Ryder Cup and he spent just over a £1k for ten people

I'm like you. The only thing you can read is that it was during the Ryder Cup and he spent just over a £1k for ten people

That's right. On a jolly.

Doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. Salmond is a known trougher, that will happily spend our money on himself. Not exacly news to anyone really. Total non story.

ffs, a ton a head is nowt compared to the tens of billions that have been screwed out of the UK in recent times..

ffs, a ton a head is nowt compared to the tens of billions that have been screwed out of the UK in recent times..

Indeed.

Known trougher politician spends taxpayer money on fancy meal.

Dog bites man.

It was a bit of a going away party for him. What sounds dodgy is his getting one of his underlings to pay for it, so it didn't appear on his expenses and he could try and hide it.

A bit of a jolly around Ryder Cup time after his referendum defeat, and he'd announced he was going.

http://www.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/viewer.aspx

Only article coming up on that for me doesn't specify who the meal was for or provide any evidence at all that it was a "leaving do" for Salmond.

I wouldn't put it past him and if it was a jolly, then that's not on.

Only article coming up on that for me doesn't specify who the meal was for

It does for me... it was for him, 3 civil servants, and 6 Ryder Cup officials (non players).

He got one of the civil servants to chuck it on his taxpayer credit card, rather than paying for it himself and it going through as FM expenses.

"Three senior Scottish Government civil servants and six officials from the European Ryder Cup golf team helped run up the eye-watering £1,064 bill."

"And, rather than pay for it using the First Ministerial account, the bill was instead put on a civil servant’s taxpayer-funded ‘electronic payment card’ – which could have led to the event escaping public scrutiny."

"Guests at the dinner included representatives of the European team, although Scottish Government officials said no players were present.

It is not the first time that Mr Salmond has come under fire for his lavish lifestyle while First Minister.When he led a delegation to Medinah, near Chicago, for the Ryder Cup in 2012, they spent a staggering £470,000. He has regularly chosen to stay at upmarket hotels during overseas trips and, in 2011, he charged the taxpayer more than £250 for a pair of tartan trews on a visit to China – then fought for seven months to keep secret his failure to pay back the cash. Last month, it emerged that he spent nearly £6,000 on his last trip to the US with his wife, Moira."

A spokesman for Mr Salmond said: ‘This event was a reception dinner for the European Tour executives who were the Scottish Government’s key partners in the Ryder Cup. It was entirely appropriate for the First Minister to host the dinner and for it to be at Champany Inn, one of Scotland’s showcase restaurants."

A jolly. And fair enough too. Was hardly going to take them to McDonald's. Ace troughers like Salmond are past masters at this.

Salmond's barnstorming result and victory speech was definitely up there as one of the moments of the night for me.

I wonder if H_B could see through the tears at that point or if he had the telly switched off long before in a fit of pure rage?

Archived