General Election 2015

Ludo*1

It's an incredibly stupid tradition that was adopted from Westminster. You would have thought when they created a more modern Parliament in Edinburgh that they wouldn't have adopted such a stupid and archaic procedure.

"The Right honourable member for...." :lol:

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus, the troll agrees with me - although I'd like to think that there's more than blind optimism behind MacGafraidh's post.

Blind optimism so far, but I was right about the referendum result being marginally no!

The only way Scotland can be "shut out" really would be if Labour and the Tories work together

The only other nightmare scenario that could maybe see the SNP shut out would be Labour retaining 10-12 seats in Scotland and the Tories having a really disappointing night down South, opening up the possibility of a Lab-Lib coalition hitting the magic number of 321

There is a definite possibly this could happen, but they would never do it publicly. Just collude with each other in order to pass votes.

There is a definite possibly this could happen, but they would never do it publicly. Just collude with each other in order to pass votes.

Don't agree. I think if Labour and the LibDems could get 323 votes between they would enter into a formal coalition in a heartbeat. Some on the Labour left wouldn't like it but they'd suck it up.

Herald Drinking game:

http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/home-news/the-heraldscotland-general-election-drinking-game-your-guide-to-making-the-night-bear.1430931768

• A fancy graphic sticks on-screen, causing minor but professionally-masked panic Take a drink
  • Katie Hopkins tweets something offensive about a living person Take two drinks
  • Katie Hopkins tweets something offensive about a dead person Take two drinks
  • The words 'we've got a long night ahead of us' are mentioned Take a drink
  • Jackie Bird swooshes her lovely flame-coloured mane Take three drinks
  • Someone misses their cue on a live link Take a drink
  • Glenn Campbell makes a verbal slip-up, fundily-mundily style Take a drink
  • A clip is shown of George Galloway in a jaunty hat Take two drinks
  • The back of a branded laptop is covered by a funky decal pertaining to the TV channel Take a drink
  • The word 'kingmaker' is mentioned Take a sip
  • The colour of BBC political editor Brian Taylor's braces shows his party preference Take a drink
  • When a presenter thanks Brian Taylor, he closes his eyes and nods deeply Take two drinks
  • Any results that are announced in the dead-zone of 10-12pm Take three drinks
  • Someone references Scandinavian peacenik sauna republik-gate Take three drinks
  • A reporter studies their clipboard frantically when a link goes wrongTake a drink
  • Every ten times someone says 'swing' Take one drink
  • The phrase 'the most unpredictable general election in years' is mentioned Take a drink
  • A party member stamps on their rosette in frustration Take three drinks
  • Labour lose a seat to the SNP Take a sip
  • Bernard Ponsonby forgetting to enunciate a word perfectly Take three drinks

I'm generally not 'into' politics and I've never been bothered about a general election before, but I'm genuinely excited about election day tomorrow. I think it's a combination of greater involvement after getting into the referendum campaign and a genuine sense that my vote will actually count for something in this election. I'm about 95% motivated by Jim Murphy hatred but it's still a real interest.

Anyone else feeling similar?

I'm generally not 'into' politics and I've never been bothered about a general election before, but I'm genuinely excited about election day tomorrow. I think it's a combination of greater involvement after getting into the referendum campaign and a genuine sense that my vote will actually count for something in this election. I'm about 95% motivated by Jim Murphy hatred but it's still a real interest.

Anyone else feeling similar?

I've been "into" politics since I was ten years old (I was at a sleepover birthday party in '92 and cried my fucking eyes out in my pal's kitchen in the morning) but for the most part as an adult I've been more concerned with US politics where it was easier to get an online discussion and where there seemed to be a genuine chance of change, as opposed to in Labour Scotland. Only since the indyref have I been genuinely involved in the process over here. It's only going to get worse in the next few years.

Can I ask the SNP vote on here....

1) Do you really want a Labour led coalition because it would be any easy ride for wee Nicky to make Milliband dance?

2) Are you banking on a Tory led Coalition that you feel would lead to an early 2nd Ref ?

3) Both 1 and 2 are a means to the end?

1) Do you really want a Labour led coalition because it would be any easy ride for wee Nicky to make Milliband dance?

2) Are you banking on a Tory led Coalition that you feel would lead to an early 2nd Ref ?

4)Couldnt give a f**k as long as theres lots of nats at westminster

1) That's what I'd like to see. I'm hoping, of course, that Labour will be more amenable to some of the SNP's proposals than the Tories would be but I obviously understand that minority government os about consensus and negotiation. Joking aside, I don't expect the SNP to "make Miliband dance".

2) I don't want a Tory-led coalition. That said, I do want independence. And if another Tory-led government makes independence more likely then I'll view that as a silver lining.

3) Yes and no. For the immediate future, I live in the United kingdom. For as long as that's the case, I'd like to see the UK prosper. If that can be achieved whilst furthering the case for independence then that's the ideal scenario. Ultimately, it will be increased devolution of powers that leads to this more than anything else.

My preference is a Labour minority government, which the SNP might be able to exert some pressure on.

My reasoning is pretty straightforward, I think this is what would be the best possible outcome for Scotland and also actually the UK. I don't want another Tory government but I'm not all that enthused about a Labour government who - left completely to their own devices - have only a slightly less shit package to offer.

There's an honest and clear answer Rob. Now here's some questions right back at you, who do you want to win the election tomorrow and why?

Independence supporters who want Tory governments are daft. There is no real benefit at all to the independence campaign from a Tory govt. Dafties will say oh but it pisses people off makes them support independence that's shite.

We had a Tory govt that won less than 2% of the seats in Scotland during the referendum and still lost. People voted, those that we could get to ie not raging bigots or Britnats, they voted with their pockets. It was just an economic decision

If the Tories are in government there is no chance they would grant a second referendum. They have no need to we have no hold over them they don't have any seats to lose here anyway. And they are fundamentally unionist, so will grant as little more powers as possible most likely none.

So if there is a Tory govt it guarantees no referendum, brings no new powers over and above Smith and is of no real benefit to support for independence given its an economic not political decision for most.

So those independence supporters wanting a Tory govt are total numpties. The best argument you could make for it is it may make a majority next year at Holyrood more likely for the SNP. Maybe it does a little, but that is the only real tangible benefit that could possibly be gained from a Tory govt. And that could be achieved without suffering another five years of the Tories anyway.

Independence supporters who want Tory governments are daft. There is no real benefit at all to the independence campaign from a Tory govt. Dafties will say oh but it pisses people off makes them support independence that's shite.

We had a Tory govt that won less than 2% of the seats in Scotland during the referendum and still lost. People voted, those that we could get to ie not raging bigots or Britnats, they voted with their pockets. It was just an economic decision

If the Tories are in government there is no chance they would grant a second referendum. They have no need to we have no hold over them they don't have any seats to lose here anyway. And they are fundamentally unionist, so will grant as little more powers as possible most likely none.

So if there is a Tory govt it guarantees no referendum, brings no new powers over and above Smith and is of no real benefit to support for independence given its an economic not political decision for most.

So those independence supporters wanting a Tory govt are total numpties. The best argument you could make for it is it may make a majority next year at Holyrood more likely for the SNP. Maybe it does a little, but that is the only real tangible benefit that could possibly be gained from a Tory govt. And that could be achieved without suffering another five years of the Tories anyway.

You all right Fuzzy ?? I'm in total agreement even as a Labour man.Im all warm inside.

Archived