General Election 2015

Ludo*1

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByPie & Bovril1430919148.541817.jpg

f**k knows why 45ers are losing their shit about this cover it's great. The French Revolution surely the GOAT moment in history? All for Sturgeon and Salmond leading a new Terror.

Maybe cause its racist hyperbole likening democratically elected MP's from Scotland to revolutionaries who violently overthrew a government and decapitated its leaders.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe cause its racist hyperbole likening democratically elected MP's from Scotland to revolutionaries who violently overthrew a government and decapitated its leaders.

And it shows how utterly terrified they are which is hilarious. Also bonus shouts to Nicola Sturgeon bizarrely having no nipples.

It does and that is funny, but its also racist and disgraceful that mainstream UK media thinks its okay to portray us like that. Imagine the outrage if it was the other way round, say the National showing the Tories as the Nazi party in 1933, which is just as good and valid a comparison.

It does and that is funny, but its also racist and disgraceful that mainstream UK media thinks its okay to portray us like that. Imagine the outrage if it was the other way round, say the National showing the Tories as the Nazi party in 1933, which is just as good and valid a comparison.

You mean like when the National called them "The Axis of EVEL"? Tbh if the Spectator want to compare the SNP to a popular revolution that overthrew it's despotic and corrupt leaders and fundamentally changed the world (arguably) for the better then I don't see why I should be angry about it. I would be amazed if anyone at the SNP would be doing anything other than laughing at it.

Like I mean I get the problem with the Nazi jibes but the French Revolution? Isn't it generally looked favourably upon by the French?

I don't see how it's racist. The Spectator has been fairly balanced on the whole.

You mean like when the National called them "The Axis of EVEL"? Tbh if the Spectator want to compare the SNP to a popular revolution that overthrew it's despotic and corrupt leaders and fundamentally changed the world (arguably) for the better then I don't see why I should be angry about it. I would be amazed if anyone at the SNP would be doing anything other than laughing at it.

You make your point well, and I didn't know about that in the national though would say its very tame and more a play on words. The racial stereotyping is still objectionable though, and par for the course in the British press.

Like I mean I get the problem with the Nazi jibes but the French Revolution? Isn't it generally looked favourably upon by the French?

The French Revolution is one of the greatest events in human history, but it still involved significant violence and a revolution. Likening Scotland electing some MP's from a party you aren't a fan of to that is irresponsible at best.

I don't see how it's racist. The Spectator has been fairly balanced on the whole.

Kilts etc is racial stereotyping, I don't know if you haven't noticed but most people in Scotland don't go around dressed in kilts. You don't see us portraying David Cameron in a morris dancing outfit do you? That in itself is racism, and is something you see all the time in the UK media.

A bit off-topic, but I liked what Mark Twain had to say about the French Revolution and the Ancien Regime:

"THERE were two “Reigns of Terror,” if we would but remember it and consider it; one wrought murder in hot passion, the other in heartless cold blood; one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; one inflicted death upon ten thousand persons, the other upon a hundred millions...

A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief Terror which we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror—that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves."

No relevance whatsoever to this election, of course, and that cover looks badly shopped/painted. Just felt like posting it 'cos Mark Twain.

Naw I get what you're saying I just think it's so weak and counter productive there's little point getting worked up about it. If we're the revolutionaries does that make them Louis XVI and his supporters?

Lucky you. I won't be able to cast my vote until around 6.10 pm, at which time I shall enter Kingcase Parish Church, Prestwick with a pencil in my hand, a spring in my step and a poorly concealed semi in my trouser area.

Say hello. I'll be there

Naw I get what you're saying I just think it's so weak and counter productive there's little point getting worked up about it. If we're the revolutionaries does that make them Louis XVI and his supporters?

Well that's a good point. You seem to be full of them today I'm going to give you a green dot for that.

A bit off-topic, but I liked what Mark Twain had to say about the French Revolution and the Ancien Regime:

"THERE were two “Reigns of Terror,” if we would but remember it and consider it; one wrought murder in hot passion, the other in heartless cold blood; one lasted mere months, the other had lasted a thousand years; one inflicted death upon ten thousand persons, the other upon a hundred millions...

A city cemetery could contain the coffins filled by that brief Terror which we have all been so diligently taught to shiver at and mourn over; but all France could hardly contain the coffins filled by that older and real Terror—that unspeakably bitter and awful Terror which none of us has been taught to see in its vastness or pity as it deserves."

No relevance whatsoever to this election, of course, and that cover looks badly shopped/painted. Just felt like posting it 'cos Mark Twain.

Good quote tbf, I do like that despite all the violence the Revolution is still looked on fondly by the French. Wish we had done the same tbh.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jamieross/what-is-going-on-in-scotland

Wonderful piece by Jamie Ross on his time covering the Scottish campaign.

The extract below is the bit that England really does not get. Scotland has awoken and it is frigging wonderful

The message from SNP supporters to Westminster is, roughly speaking: “You wanted Scotland, now you’re getting us.” The SNP are coming, in numbers, and will use those numbers to influence policy – and the choice of prime minister – as best they can.

This is an interesting little thing from the Guardian; the speech Ramsay MacDonald gave in the House of Commons when he took power in 1924, despite Labour not being the largest party.

http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/commons/1924/feb/12/prime-ministers-statement

edit- Some things never change:

The most violent efforts were made to create a panic as soon as it looked likely that we were to ft come in. I want to offer my most sincere thanks to those calm-minded, sane-minded and responsible men of business who told the country and investors not to make fools of themselves by playing into the hands of merely mischievous panicmongers.

Good quote tbf, I do like that despite all the violence the Revolution is still looked on fondly by the French. Wish we had done the same tbh.

We gave it a good try more than once, in Scotland and UK-wide, but Britain became so successful as a colonial and imperial power that the aristocracy found it easy to deport most of the potential revolutionaries (and their potential supporters) to our overseas holdings, using them instead as - very handy - colonists, colonial convicts, troops, etc.

Either that or they were starved into leaving (Ireland, the Highlands) or into joining the British army and fighting for the very system they had previously resisted.

Very clever, using the most unruly parts of the native population as a means to expand the Empire abroad and subjugate others on their behalf.

The most interesting thing about the Panelbase poll is the voting representation. More than half (532 out of 1013) voted no in the referendum, and still the SNP sits on 48% of the vote in this poll.

Until we have a clearer picture - ie how many who voted yes are now voting SNP - we'll not know how many no voters have gone SNP, but that does seem to suggest a reasonably significant number of nos are planning to vote SNP. Unless 100% of those who voted yes are now voting SNP of course, then it'll be a very low number!

Archived