General Election 2015

Ludo*1

Tryfield's auld man switched to SNP at 75, pleasing, a lot of auld yins realise they were hoodwinked into voting against the interests of their grandkids and great grandkids in September.

I have little sympathy for these people. If they truly were 'hoodwinked' then they're either stupid or lazy. Stupid to believe the pish or lazy to not do even the merest of research to debunk the myths. I'm not saying all 'No' voters were stupid or lazy, as some clearly felt that a 'No' vote was best, but those who were 'fooled' are fucking morons.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have little sympathy for these people. If they truly were 'hoodwinked' then they're either stupid or lazy. Stupid to believe the pish or lazy to not do even the merest of research to debunk the myths. I'm not saying all 'No' voters were stupid or lazy, as some clearly felt that a 'No' vote was best, but those who were 'fooled' are fucking morons.

Nonetheless, there's little to be gained from holding a grudge now. The best thing that ever happened was that the 45% didn't collapse into bitter recriminations but rolled their sleeves up and got back on with it.

Surely to Christ not. After 2011 Labour won't be so stupid as to leave the list for their B team: every single one of their constituent MSPs will be on the list as backup. And they're going to get annihilated at seat level, which means the handful that get back in will be their former heavy hitters. No-marks like Dunky whose fabulous strategering has collapsed a hundred-year hegemony in nine months are going to be nowhere near the list.

Like I say, I'm sure I've seen it. I could be totally wrong, but I am sure I have.

I don't think this is true laughinglady. We have over three centuries experience of a fractious, dysfunctional, and unfair UK already, and it hasn't led us to independence so far.

Maybe a harmonious, prosperous, and egalitarian UK would actually be better for the confidence of the people of Scotland, and therefore better for the cause of independence?

A fairer division of the Union's wealth would certainly increase the desire for independence in Scotland, since it would show us clearly how much better off we would be outwith it, and would certainly cause many to realise that we should've got out of it long ago.

A harmonious UK would also be less likely to have to rely on the kind of ugly threats over the pound, passports, pensions, border guards, terror attacks, organ transplants, treatment at children's hospitals, and blood transfusions, etc. that we saw during the referendum - so the next Project Fear would be much reduced in scope and effectiveness.

Let's give a harmonious, prosperous, and egalitarian UK a whirl anyway - just to see what that might look like.

Well I've only been around for about half a century so I can't really talk about the 250 years before that, but the independence movement seems to have really got going post 2008, and especially after the election of Cameron's Old Etonians.

A fairer division of the union's wealth would mean among other things more resources being redistributed from London out to the more deprived areas like Scotland. This is right and proper since London is the economic engine of the UK. It inevitably sucks talent out of the peripheries but these people's taxes need to be redistributed around the country to support growth elsewhere. I know this sounds grim but it is true, it's a problem all over the world that mega-cities are becoming like rich countries in themselves leaving the rest of the country cut off from the bulk of wealth generation. This problem is not solved by the periphery cutting itself off from the centre, it is made much worse because then the talent leaves to make its fortune and nothing comes back. The only way to stop it would be to close the borders.

Thanks for that Effie.

I will now vote labour at this general election and no at the next referendum.

Oh, no. Wait.

Sorry.

I meant SNP at this general election and yes at the next referendum.

Silly me.

Makes me feel sick to the core, that she had to do that !!

She didn't have to do anything. Are you equally as sick when she shakes the hands of Blair a man who caused far more innocent deaths than the IRA ever could

What a bumbling fool Clegg was on Today this morning. John Humphrys wasn't even being that hard on him. Anyone who votes for the Lib Dems after this shambles needs their head examined.

Anyone wanting a laugh/cringe with embarrassment can listen here from 02.11.00 onwards:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05stg07

Makes me feel sick to the core, that she had to do that !!

Price of progress. We need to move on. Can't be stuck in a time warp singing about late seventeenth century battles forever.

If her Maj is big enough to get over it, I am sure one day you Sevconians can bring yourselves to forgive and forget. It's the good Christian way

A fairer division of the union's wealth would mean among other things more resources being redistributed from London out to the more deprived areas like Scotland.

I disagree, to me it would mean wealthy areas like Scotland no longer sending the entirety of their revenue to a Treasury in London, and letting civil servants at that Treasury (who have a vested interest in London's prosperity, but not much interest in Scotland's) decide how much we should get back. It is because of this faintly ludicrous system that Scotland has been kept in an artificial state of poverty for at least the last forty years, though evidence suggests the scam goes back a lot further than that.

If you want to run a successful business, don't let the rival company next door do your books for you. If you do choose to allow that, don't be surprised when you get ripped off.

When you discover that you have been ripped off - deliberately and consistently over many decades - don't vote to continue that situation.

That's my position on the Union.

I agree with you about the unfortunate rise of megacities, or new city-states, though. It is an unfortunate global phenomenon, but not one that I think will be solved by continuing to funnel all the cash into the centre, and allowing all the power to go on residing there.

The peripheries did not become peripheral through acts of God, but through political and economic choices made in the centre.

Archived