General Election 2015

Ludo*1

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no, UDI, were it so enacted from Holyrood would not directly lead to Scottish independence unless Westminster decided to aquiensce. Alternatively you could try and get other countries to recognise your seperation but ultimately the only way UDI works is if Westminster decides it's not worth the hassle trying to hang on. Now, back in the old days, pre-devo, when the SNP winning a majority of Scottish seats could reaosnably be seen as a change in public perception towards Indy then there is a clear route via UDI. Now, there is not that same link, obviously and particularly post indyref1.

But to be absolutely clear, throughout history a unilateral decleration of anything has always required the other interested party's aquiescence to that decleration, otherwise you have a bit of an impasse.....

Might as well have a UDI, only took the Dutch about 60 years to get the Spanish to accept theirs.

Regardless of your political persuasion is Nicola Sturgeon's boast of locking the Tories out of Downing Street even if they are the largest party bitter and undemocratic it is it perfect democracy in action ?

No. Given the system of elections we have for Westminster, a system that all the main parties support, then it is fair and reasonable that two or more parties who can command a majority have the right to exclude a party or parties who don't. Perfectly democratic.

Bear in mind that until the SNP surge, it was common and accepted knowledge amongst the Westminster chattering classes that Ukip having as many as two elected MPs meant that the Country Had Spoken on immigration and that it was essential that all parties concede to the new political norm represented by Nigel Farage.

Regardless of your political persuasion is Nicola Sturgeon's boast of locking the Tories out of Downing Street even if they are the largest party bitter and undemocratic it is it perfect democracy in action ?

That means nothing in our FPTP system. If the Tories didn't like it, they could have done something about it years ago

I don't see how it could even be remotely described as undemocratic.

We don't live in a perfect democracy. The SNP locking out a party who on their own will manage about 37% of the vote isn't really that big a deal tbh

...in English, please.

That means nothing in our FPTP system. If the Tories didn't like it, they could have done something about it years ago

Exactly. f**k them. If they don't like the system, they've had plenty time to change it. Maybe they should have used that time to do so.

Is it me or have the Tories up here started using "Conservative and unionists" a lot this campaign. I know it's the party name, but they usually just say Conservatives. There logo doesn't even say Unionists

SC_Logo-300x300.jpg

What do you not understand. Everyone else who has replied seems to have grasped the question fine. :)

You've got accept as soon as you go against the grain you will be pounced upon from all angles and ridiculed. When one of the own calls someone a mincer though, no comment.

For what it's worth, f**k the Tories. It's the system they champion because they've benefited from it in the past. They can hardly moan when they don't get the outcome they want from the same system.

You've got accept as soon as you go against the grain you will be pounced upon from all angles and ridiculed. When one of the own calls someone a mincer though, no comment.

For what it's worth, f**k the Tories. It's the system they champion because they've benefited from it in the past. They can hardly moan when they don't get the outcome they want from the same system.

This could hardly be a more inaccurate description of P&B. Are we all nodding along and agreeing with Fuzzy's drivel? It's the complete opposite, Yes leaning folk on here actually debate each other all the time.

Let's not forget what it was like before all but two or three No voters shat it and ran off. The thickest, most racist loon was positively worshipped, with a wee sycophantic chain of idiot command below him.

There's plenty folk capable of sensible, objective debate. Try and be one of them instead of this whinging about the big, bad Yes meanies.

This could hardly be a more inaccurate description of P&B. Are we all nodding along and agreeing with Fuzzy's drivel? It's the complete opposite, Yes leaning folk on here actually debate each other all the time.

Let's not forget what it was like before all but two or three No voters shat it and ran off. The thickest, most racist loon was positively worshipped, with a wee sycophantic chain of idiot command below him.

There's plenty folk capable of sensible, objective debate. Try and be one of them instead of this whinging about the big, bad Yes meanies.

This is very true

No voting unionists are the ones with the closed minds

Is it me or have the Tories up here started using "Conservative and unionists" a lot this campaign. I know it's the party name, but they usually just say Conservatives. There logo doesn't even say Unionists

SC_Logo-300x300.jpg

They've been branded as the "Scottish Conservative & Unionist" Party for a long time. It's just a branch office, like "Scottish Labour Party"

When Murdo Fraser ran against Ruth for the leadership he wanted to split away from the main party.

Excellent and exhaustive article on the Guardian website today on what to expect if there's a hung parliament...

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/22/a-hung-parliament-dont-panic-democracy-will-take-its-course

They still have the SNP predicted to get 55 seats.

I'm hoping for an outcome like Ireland had in the 1918 election - without the war that followed, obviously :huh:

I'm not whinging especially. And you're right, there are many good posters on the Yes side. I agree with a lot of what is being said. That said, fuzzy is basically undefendable he's that extreme.

Maybe I over reacted here, but I did load up the page before and the first message I saw from last night was that Arbroath kid call someone a mincer for liking flute bands or something, nobody picked him up on it, then this guy asks a perfectly understandable question and with in no time there's ridicule from 2 or 3 regulars.

Archived