General Election 2015

Ludo*1

Labour and their supporters patting themselves on the back constantly about the minimum wage really isn't too impressive, imo.

Don't get me wrong, it's great that they brought it in but it was 15 years ago and practically every comparable country has a nmw and/or (for the countries lucky enough to have proper unions) collective bargaining.

They ought to come up with policies that folk might bring up in 15 years, not weaksauce pish like a mansion tax and a 2020 £8 NMW.

Mansion tax is a good policy, imo.

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How is it pure speculation that we'll be able to borrow money? If we get to the extent of negotiating FFA, we would undoubtedly have some form of borrowing powers. Ideally, we wouldn't need to borrow. Ideally the UK wouldn't need to borrow. But they do. I trust them, as I believe they want what is best for Scotland. Which straight questions have they not answered? Generally, politicians don't like answering straight questions. You see how difficult it is to get a simple yes or no response.

We're often told that we have too many old people. I'm easy about a few immigrants rocking up. We're open to allcomers from the EU now and we're hardly overrun. Where do you live and is immigration there a huge concern for the population?

Have they admitted they will need to borrow £8bn via FFA? All I've heard from Sturgeon is Labour are scare mongering, that to me is denial and deflection, certainly not being straight.

Let me assure you, Edinburgh is overcrowded. The population is vastly higher than it was when I was a kid. You can't get a council house, primary school place, doctor, property (let or buy) is prohibitive. The schools are rammed with migrants, at least my old one is.

Have they admitted they will need to borrow £8bn via FFA? All I've heard from Sturgeon is Labour are scare mongering, that to me is denial and deflection, certainly not being straight.

Let me assure you, Edinburgh is overcrowded. The population is vastly higher than it was when I was a kid. You can't get a council house, primary school place, doctor, property (let

or buy) is prohibitive. The schools are rammed with migrants, at least my old one is.

I live in Edinburgh and you're talking utter bollocks.

There is plenty housing and whilst the sight of a migrant might not be a completely unusual event, it certainly isn't abnormally high for an inner city area.

Let me assure you, Edinburgh is overcrowded. The population is vastly higher than it was when I was a kid. You can't get a council house, primary school place, doctor, property (let or buy) is prohibitive. The schools are rammed with migrants, at least my old one is.

How many Edinburgh schools are running over capacity and by roughly how much on average? How much has the population risen since you were a kid.

This all sounds like interesting stuff.

No, but I fail to see how my views on Blair's union policies has anything to do with your claim that Blair didn't want the minimum wage.

Glad to hear it. I'll endeavour to find some sources to back up my other assertion which I fully believe to be true.

Let me assure you, Edinburgh is overcrowded. The population must be near double what it was when I was a kid, easy. You can't get a council house, primary school place, doctor, property is prohibitive. The schools are rammed with migrants, at least my old one is.

1. The house I live in now - "it was all fields when I was a lad". Its called progress. I see you support Hibs as well. No irony there.

2. Whose fault was that? At least the SNP are ending the right to buy scheme.

The real disaster was that, along with standard housing, councils have also sold off pensioner / disabled bungalows. 25 years later these properties are being purchased by first time buyers / property speculators, looking for a cheap home. This has led to disabled folk getting punted into unsuitable accommodation with some of them inevitably getting hit with the bedroom tax.

The UK has a deficit. Scotland would have a deficit. Not ideal, but hey ho. I would be interested to hear what we'll do to cut any deficit from FFA, but I'm not exactly shitting it, given the UK have been borrowing 8-10 billion a month for years now.

I work in Edinburgh, have a flat which I rent out and lived there from 2004 to 2007. Can't say I've noticed a huge issue with immigration. I lived in London from 2002-2004 and 2007-2009. If you mentioned London, I could possibly see that people had a point, but I'm struggling to see the major impact immigration has had in Edinburgh. When did this happen? I got a doctor no bother in Edinburgh back in 2004 and that was during the boom years. Didn't have a problem renting either.

And it's accurate we will have a zero immigration service if the SNP have their way, no need for asylum applications because they will all be granted, no need for any security at all, no checks, no controls and zero deportations. Security in general will be non existent, e.g there will be no intelligence service to monitor terrorism or other jihad activities. But hey, you want this right? It's racist to be concerned about immigration even though 6.8 out 10 want it reduced according to the BBC poll on Wednesday.

there won't be open borders at all. We will have exactly the same immigration policy as the rest of the UK so we can maintain free movement between Scotland and the rest of the UK, as happens with the UK and the republic at the moment.

Torygraph on Labour's wipeout...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/11527524/Labour-dead-in-Scotland-MP-says-as-candidates-turn-to-Gordon-Brown-to-save-campaign.html

MPs who did “f*** all” campaigning at the last election because of their large majorities are unable to tell what is happening in their seats because they have nothing to benchmark canvass returns against, The Telegraph has been told.

Candidates are also worried that four months after Jim Murphy was elected Scottish Labour leader voters have failed to see him as a man who can stand toe-to-toe with Nicola Sturgeon.

:o

I saw that quote re "f**k all" yesterday. That sums up the problem with seats that have been safe for decades. The sitting MP just does not give one solitary f**k. He (or she) knows it's a job for life and he doesn't have to try a leg.

Scottish Labour MPs are calling for Gordon Brown to become the face of their campaign as they admitted a “catastrophic” new poll suggested the party was “effectively dead" in Scotland.

The former prime minister is “without doubt the best orator of his generation” and can win over Scottish voters where Ed Miliband is failing to have “cut through” according to senior figures.

MPs fear the SNP has now become “untouchable” north of the border and think the scale of defeat at the election could be worse than the Conservatives’ wipeout in 1997.

There were panicked calls between candidates fighting re-election last night as a new YouGov poll gave the SNP a 24-point lead over Labour with less than a month to go.

The poll overshadowed Ed Miliband’s first campaign appearance in Scotland since parliament dissolved and forced the leader to answer questions about whether he was a “hidderance” to his party in the region.

:lol:

Wheeling out Broon again because Milliband has all the charisma, communication skills and leadershipability of a fucking urinal.

Archived