General Election 2015

Ludo*1

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly think all this could lead to a bit of violence.

i also think very strongly if it had been a yes the no side would have engaged in siginificant violence and we would be dealing with that right now. They were even violent when they won FFS and have been utterly seething ever since.

The yes campaign deserve enormous credit for never once stooping to their level.

An egg was literally as bad as it got, whereas a pregnant yes campaigner was kicked in the stomach, an old woman yes campaigner had her wrist broken when pushed to the ground. And a yes themed shop was burned to the ground. All not reported on the MSM obviously, but we got days about the egg.

Then there was George Square, and that was from the winners. Can you imagine if they'd lost? Incredible.

I honestly think all this could lead to a bit of violence.

i also think very strongly if it had been a yes the no side would have engaged in siginificant violence and we would be dealing with that right now. They were even violent when they won FFS and have been utterly seething ever since.

The yes campaign deserve enormous credit for never once stooping to their level.

An egg was literally as bad as it got, whereas a pregnant yes campaigner was kicked in the stomach, an old woman yes campaigner had her wrist broken when pushed to the ground. And a yes themed shop was burned to the ground. All not reported on the MSM obviously, but we got days about the egg.

Then there was George Square, and that was from the winners. Can you imagine if they'd lost? Incredible.

Its a credit to the Yes side that there was very little issues.

It is, they really do deserve a lot of credit. But obviously haven't had any, and a narrative has been built about nat bullies and threats and aggression etc.

Watched a couple of videos on youtube about that a while ago actually, that really is the story being told, people afraid to say they were no voters and intimidation etc.

Indeed. And as if he couldn't become more like a pantomime villain he was a known backer of Gavin Masterton and even stated that Dunfermline fans owed Masterton an apology.

This also happened: http://thomasdocherty.org.uk/news/devastation-as-scottish-government-closes-pitcorthie-after-agonising-wait/

Whereupon he was put firmly in his place by a very angry parent:

"As a member of the Save Pitcorthie Primary School campaign, I was saddened to learn last week that the ministerial call-in had been unsuccessful and that the closure is to go ahead. The pupils and parents of Pitcorthie are understandably devastated at the news and there is a lot of uncertainty and anxiety for us. I am therefore disgusted at the actions of two of our elected officials, Thomas Docherty MP and Cara Hilton MSP.

As news of the inevitable closure spread, a Courier photographer asked a member of our campaign to organise for some parents and children to gather outside the school gates for a photo to accompany the following day’s article. When the photographer arrived he was accompanied by Mr Docherty and Ms Hilton, which was a complete surprise to the parents. Over half of the next day’s article was devoted to Mr Docherty and Ms Hilton completely misrepresenting the facts of the matter and trying to place the blame on the Holyrood government rather than on Fife Council’s executive committee, who were responsible for the final decision to close.

This is a matter of public record and the names of those who voted to close the school (eight Labour councillors, one Lib Dem councillor, two Independent councillors and two unelected religious representatives) can be found on Fife Direct website in the minutes of the executive committee meeting of 15th April.

These statements by Mr Docherty and Ms Hilton were also published on the Dunfermline Press website on Thursday 2nd October.

As Ms Hilton and, to a lesser extent, Mr Docherty both worked with our campaign, I would expect them to be familiar with the guidelines for ministerial call-in and to understand that there is a very narrow set of circumstances under which the government can overturn a closure decision. These circumstances are all procedural and as long as Fife Council had followed procedure, which they apparently had, there was nothing the government could do. For Mr Docherty to suggest that the ministers could easily have overturned the decision is patently ridiculous and it would have been an act of political corruption if they had disregarded the rules in order to save our school.

At no point did Alex Salmond or Mike Russell promise to save our school, as Mr Docherty claims, and we never even met with Nicola Sturgeon. All Mr Salmond could do was listen to our concerns and sympathise and Mr Russell made very clear that he could not hear any of the details of our situation but could advise us on how the call-in procedure works. I, and many others, feel that Mr Docherty and Ms Hilton have used what is a very distressing time in our children’s lives to further their own political agenda. Within hours of the announcement that the call-in had failed they were both busy trying to shift blame from the Labour-led council who made the decision to the Scottish Parliament who were unable, as a legal matter, to overturn that decision.

Mr Docherty took to Facebook to repeat his claims and when I posted the facts of the matter he deleted my comments and blocked me from further posting, as he has done with several others. He has since claimed that he was only deleting abusive comments, which mine certainly were not. This is no way for an elected official to behave. We are now left with the job of reassuring our children and helping them through the transition to their new schools. We will be working closely with staff to ensure that the transition goes as smoothly as possible. In the meantime, our Parent Council will ensure that all our usual discos and other events go ahead as planned in order to give our children the best final year at Pitcorthie PS that they could possibly have.

Shirley MacDonald"

In short, he's a fud. I will be stunned if he is voted back in at the General Election.

This is the sort of thing that has left Labour in the state it is currently in. Douglas Alexander was at it a wee while ago as well, claiming he had helped prevent a hospital ward from closing. In reality, he just rocked up for the photo opportunity. Pretty poor all round but they should really be hauled up for it.

The BBC coverage from that night is on You Tube. Almost 40 glorious segment there for your viewing satisfaction.

Highlights include every word of Magrit Curran's verge of a nervous breakdown night, Lib Dems, Tories and Labour Branch office representatives being the proverbial baldies fighting over a comb, the SNP reps basically being pleasing gifs all night, and then at 6 am in the morning the show being handed to Jackie Bird who was to say the least a tad upset.

A night of fucking monumental proportions. Just imagine if May the 8th is the same. SCENES!!

Definitely worth a look if you are interested in this sort of thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0VIU9a_uwA

christ is it sad that i'm watching the whole thing on a saturday night?

christ is it sad that i'm watching the whole thing on a saturday night?

Not really, it's pretty hilarious. Labour appear to be in denial about what is happening and every seat they lose you get the impression they're thinking the voters are in the wrong.

Plus you hear a lot of the usual pish about "we need to learn from this, come back stronger" etc... etc...

Not really, it's pretty hilarious. Labour appear to be in denial about what is happening and every seat they lose you get the impression they're thinking the voters are in the wrong.

Plus you hear a lot of the usual pish about "we need to learn from this, come back stronger" etc... etc...

The most telling thing is that until the true extent of their battering is revealed every single one repeats the line about the Lib Dems getting pummeled and says nothing else. The party line was utterly divorced from the election itself, with strategy being entirely dependent on pushing an irrelevant Westminster image. Then all of a sudden they're getting cleared out in utterly safe seats and nobody has a cluie what to say. Except the SNP, who were the only ones with their eyes on the actual game.

The 2007 coverage was entertaining as well because the initial results from the Glasgow area were not that good for the SNP, so Curran and others thought Labour had won and were crowing about it. Salmond then got interviewed with a line of questioning that implied he had lost but answered that all the indications he was hearing suggested otherwise and his body language told you he believed it. The disbelief as it all unfolded was if anything greater than in 2011, because Labour still had the aura of invincibility in Scotland.

Probably the wrong place but how the hell can Cameron say that he will not do all the television debates? At the end of the day does he not work for the public? I guess in the bubble of politics there is nobody that can get him telt.

Probably the wrong place but how the hell can Cameron say that he will not do all the television debates? At the end of the day does he not work for the public? I guess in the bubble of politics there is nobody that can get him telt.

Didn't bother debating Salmond pre referendum either. Knows he doesn't come across well and could end up doing more damage to his re-election hopes. He also knows labour and Milliband are a bit of a shambles so should get away with it. Pathetic, really

The 2007 coverage was entertaining as well because the initial results from the Glasgow area were not that good for the SNP

It required a recount in the Highlands and Islands for the SNP to be shown as the winners. An election official had "forgotten to scroll down" in order to count their votes.

After the true result came through, Sally Magnusson asked Alex Salmond: "What message do you have for people who are scared tonight"?

Scenes!

Archived