General Election 2015

Ludo*1

• Replies 15.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't see the Bennett interview, but Neil has been a seething mess for a while. His performance in the Charlie Hebdo debate on This Week was the most ludicrous, heads gone performance by a supposedly impartial broadcast journalist I have seen.

Having said that, Bennett does come across badly every time I see her on tv.

Didn't see this interview, but Andrew Neil can be a bit of a c**t in interviews. Saw him a few times just giving the person being interviewed no chance. Just screaming question after question at them from subjects all over the place and expecting instant answers then shouting all over them.

It hasn't been utterly seething though. The Tories are delighted. They're pretending to be outraged when in fact it's given them another stick to beat Labour with.

You underestimate the amount of seethe down here in london about it. I live in a leafy, middle class area and work in a school in a solid Tory area and it really has been fantastic stuff recently.

Whatever, odds on the only reason I was attacked on this thread was because I pointed out Syriza's victory in Greece may not be a victory for SSP politics on another.

Far left of Labour. PASOK are a joke party, they're Labour's comrades.

What I suggested on the other thread was this was more a case of Michael Foot Labour reemerging and elbowing aside the Blairites to reconstitute PASOK as it used to be. Time will tell. Certainly agree with the analysis that Labour have drifted so far from their traditional base that old tribal loyalties have broken down and that has opened up an opportunity for the SNP in the urban central belt.

I live in England atm and a few people I've spoken to actually welcomed the idea of an SNP/Labour coalition. Even a labour councillor I spoke to said "it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world". It is Manchester though to be fair and even here I can imagine plenty people will seethe at the prospect.

Here is the interview.

I don't exactly see how that's a car crash of an interview. I can understand she's inexperienced in this situation, which explains her constant stuttering and rabbit in a headlights reactions. Her policies actually make sense once you look into it, but Andrew Neil being the p***k he is. Was never going to give her the chance to explain. He only brought up the policies he knew viewers may not like, and constantly interrupted her. When it was clear a long winded explanation was required. AFAIK, policies and costing are yet to be finalized, and won't be done till March. Just like all other political parties.

I live in England atm and a few people I've spoken to actually welcomed the idea of an SNP/Labour coalition. Even a labour councillor I spoke to said "it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world". It is Manchester though to be fair and even here I can imagine plenty people will seethe at the prospect.

I can understand why the rest of the UK might be a bit seething at a party in government that only claims to stand for one of the four constituent countries. I know there's the Northern Ireland argument, but the other parties at least claim to be doing their best for the entire country. In this case, though, it might be the "least worst" option.

Thing is, you can pretty much count on all but 5 of the Scottish seats. The Tories might gain a couple, and the Lib Dems might keep a couple, but the rest will be either Red or Yellow. Plaid Cymru and the SNP are a package deal, so there's another few seats, and with the Northern Irish equivalent of Labour getting their usual three, that gives you 60.

Can Labour get 265 seats in England and Wales? Not impossible, but with the way Miliband's looking at the moment, not exactly likely either.

That raises the prospect of having to find yet another dance partner. Could it be the Lib Dems with Clegg gone? I guess the SNP wouldn't be principally opposed to working with the Liberal Democrats but they'd need to prove they were ready to move on from Clegg and the orange bookers and elect a leader from the left of the party.

I still think what will end up happening is that if there's a hung parliament then the largest party will just rule as a minority and cut deals with others on a policy by policy basis. Our two biggest parties are close enough in values that they probably end up supporting one another on most divisions anyway, so it's not like we'd be likely to reach a stalemate.

I think the Lib Dems will offer themselves as part of a coalition to whichever of the big two wins the most seats, like they did last time. If that's the Tories, I could imagine them trying to promote the result as a vindication of the policies of the coalition and Clegg could stay on in his Deputy Prime Minister with Special Responsibilities for Making the Tea and Photocopying role. If Labour get the most seats, I expect they'd demand Clegg's (metaphorical) head on a spike as a pre-condition to a Lab-Lib Coalition or Pact.

The people of Hallam could just make the Lib Dems' minds up for them by booting him out of Parliament. Sizeable student population there, so it's not impossible.

His parents are from Gweedore, which is an Irish Gaelic speaking area. If they had been from somewhere like Letterkenny he might be better at writing in Scots idiom. Religion has hee haw to do with that.

Then again Gweedore Gaelic is quite close to our own Gaelic. As to Ulster Scots, it didn't exist until a few years ago. Wonder why?

Further, is Boyle from Gweedore or Glasgow? I hear Scots Asian kids in Edinburgh speak Scots everyday.

Lastly, I don't think excellence in poetry was the point of the post. Any thoughts on what he said rather than how he said it?

You underestimate the amount of seethe down here in london about it. I live in a leafy, middle class area and work in a school in a solid Tory area and it really has been fantastic stuff recently.

Oh I can imagine. The politicians will be delighted as they can whip up a frenzy amongst their supporters and other easily fooled people. In the north east press and on football forums like this one for North East clubs, I haven't seen much seethe, but more 'good on Scotland' and some of 'we want some of that' as opposed to seethe. Generally anyway. You'll get your right wing divies everywhere.

If/when push comes to shove, I suspect we'll see a Lab-Con coalition similar to what happened in Germany under Angela Merkel with the SPD, before we see a Lab-SNP one. Still a long way to go and the SNP needs to keep a sizable lead to achieve the landslide in a Scottish context FPTP given the way Labour's support is more geographically concentrated.

Archived