Stirling University v Albion Rovers

Admission charges will be Adults £7, concessions £3

NOTE: Only the West stand (Home) will be open, though the stewards will be hoping to direct supporters to different sides of the tunnel.

Catering there will be refreshments available inside the ground.

Programmes on sale £2

Interestingly enough... it seems that Albion Rovers are the only league club ever to have failed to beat a university club in the entire history of the Scottish Cup. Back in 1975-76 you were held to a 1-1 draw at Glasgow before scraping the replay 1-0.

Having done a quick check of Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Stirling and St Andrew's results, none seem to have managed anything other than defeats against Scottish League opposition. Could it be an omen...

Stirling were certainly top-dogs in University football last season winning the triple of British Cup, British Premier (North) and Scottish Queen's Park Shield.

Interestingly enough... it seems that Albion Rovers are the only league club ever to have failed to beat a university club in the entire history of the Scottish Cup. Back in 1975-76 you were held to a 1-1 draw at Glasgow before scraping the replay 1-0.

Yip, and highlights from the replay were shown by STV on the news that night.

Sooo that would mean that Rovers are NOT the only league club ever to have failed to beat a University club as you just stated they beat Glasgo Uni 1-0 after a replay ?

They are the only league club to have failed to win a match against a university.

Btw - I see from the sheet on the SFA website that if Sunday's match ends in a draw the replay at Cliftonhill is in very short order... 48hrs later... evening of Tuesday 7th October. Stirling have a British Premier North game the next midweek which may explain why it isn't the usual 10 days later but any reason why the clubs are playing Sunday-Tuesday as opposed to the Wednesday?

Ms. Kerr might be a breath of fresh air to some forward-thinking Scottish football fans but her side were hopeless today. Rovers were slow and defensive but very comfortable and could have won by any scoreline we liked. We were patient (to say the least) on the ball and our back four probably had a third of the possession. Josh Mullin filled Alan Reid's boots satisfactorily, his first touch and pass completion rate might have been the worst in the team but he had his opposing winger in his pocket and was excellent on the tackle when he had to be.

On the subject of misplaced passes, I have no idea what was going on for the Uni's goal- it may have been a freak accident but it wasn't in the script, and was a temporary scare before Darren Young's screamer to reclaim the lead. Not much came from the front pairing of Cusack and McGuigan, all four of our goals came from midfielders- praise to each of them.

The manager's performance was a big improvement on last weekend's, but I thought his partner in central midfield was excellent today. With the Dunlops behind him Ciaran Donnelly is a very effective midfielder- on just his second start of the season he hardly put a foot wrong, and his finish was clinical. I was especially pleased to see Chappy back in a Rovers jersey, he added the touch of class our midfield has lacked so far this season and capped off his cameo with a good goal. Another class act at Forthbank today was our very own Scottish Cup hero, James Ward, supporting the Rovers on his Sunday off. Our showing today was better than he managed in the Second Round last season, which could be a good omen, or a sign we've peaked too early.

The game today, Uni started off being pushed back in the first minute, soon went a goal down, relieved to see a second goal ruled out, Geddes scored equaliser long range lob over the keeper too far off his line, Darren young scored a cracker to put Albion back in front.

In fairness Uni rather fortunate to be still in the tie at HT. Albion enjoying the bulk of possession as the Uni midfield just couldn't get into the game, Uni playing only one upfront and not quick enough in support.

Second half Uni started better, but crucially the next goal went to Albion, from then on, good saves near misses and only one more goal to add. But really could have become a mauling.

Well played Albion dominant throughout, played good football, fully deserved the win.

Good Luck with the draw for the next round, but more importantly good luck in the chase for promotion.

Biggest disappointment to me was the Uni not being able to get a replay, as i would have got to visit another ground I've yet to go to.

A bit unfair to say Uni were hopeless!!

Scored a spectacular goal, competed well for last ten minutes of the first half and started well second half, some nice passing and a good last ten minutes.

OK Albion were a class above, give Uni some credit,no moaning at the ref from their players or coaches, thats a nice change from the usual senior sides!

I like to give credit when it's due but I don't think that team deserves any praise or defence today. They were dreadful, far worse than our HL and LL opponents from last season in terms of organisation, fitness and quality, they didn't have any sort of spell where they controlled the game and I certainly can't remember any nice passing. The goal might have been a spectacle but it was a gift, and by no means an indication of Stirling's quality.

There was probably no moaning about the ref from the students because he was so lenient to them! He showed no cards despite a number of persistent foulers and a couple of two-footers which you wouldn't get away with if the referee wasn't cutting you some slack.

Archived