Poll tax

SFLKING

... and if we apply the same logic to the councils, run by Labour and the Tories intent on chasing a 21 year old tax that had been scraped decades ago, we may conclude that they are trying to frighten folk back off the register who they think could come out and vote for someone who isn't them, 7 months from now.

Simple fact is that chasing the fucking poll tax of all things is inherently cynical.

and unlawful. Not that Gifford knows any better.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... and if we apply the same logic to the councils, run by Labour and the Tories intent on chasing a 21 year old tax that had been scraped decades ago, we may conclude that they are trying to frighten folk back off the register who they think could come out and vote for someone who isn't them, 7 months from now.

Simple fact is that chasing the fucking poll tax of all things is inherently cynical.

I couldn't care less. The fact is if you encourage people to avoid paying what they owe to their council not only does it deprive them of necessary money, it's irresponsible and sets a bad example. However the SNP don't seem to care about that

So say the SNP brought in a law that meant that the general public were to pay a tax to their local councils and it gets revoked due to protests, does that mean that citizens are exempt from paying it??? Years later they register to vote and they're found to be in arrears for this tax. Do they pay for it then??? Tell you what mate, get a grip and start looking at the World more objectively.

Salmond is doing this to make sure that he doesn't lose any votes. Plain and simple

^^^^^ knows nothing.

Given that I have already posted

20 years is the limitation on the councils to enforce the debt and they then have an additional 20 years to collect.

Prescription and Limitation (Scotland) Act 1973

How many people do the council's think they can get through reviewing the electoral register?

If the people removed themselves from the register to avoid the charge (notice the delibrate use of the word charge and not tax) and the council hasn't found them since - It cannot now be enforced

If they served them with the bill when it became due and they have not yet managed to collected it - It cannot now be enforced

So basically we are left with people who have been identified in the last 20 years. I don't see how scanning the Electoral Register is going to help.

I couldn't care less. The fact is if you encourage people to avoid paying what they owe to their council not only does it deprive them of necessary money, it's irresponsible and sets a bad example. However the SNP don't seem to care about that

You appear to miss the fact that there is no basis in law to collect this from people that have not been previously billed.

You've seen the UK tax system, I trust - more loopholes than an all hands meeting at the KKK. Successive UK governments could shut down those loopholes, could simplify the system to stpo tax evasion. They don't. That surely counts as encouragement for corporations and wealthy individuals to avoid tax, don't you think?

Correct.

Labour have moved so far to the right that they can't see the irony. They are currently shitting their breeks that their core vote is moving away from them, voted yes in the referendum and aren't likely to move back "home" anytime soon. Trying to defend chasing payment of Thatcher's poll tax is suicide.

Fact is people of a certain age (and i missed paying this by a year or two) can clearly remember old labour being up in arms at warrant sales and jail for non payers. Now they've come full circle and by backing debt collection they are now defending the community charge they spat on at the time.

Old labour voters who remember all this from the time won't be voting for c***s attempting to defend this course of action in a dose of pure revisionism.

Certainly in the case of Aberdeenshire's budget there was absolutely no poll tax collection included. They have no real expectations of getting back any of the £1.7m that they still have as outstanding.

Just to put it into context. The Aberdeeshire Chief Executive's costs are £2m per annum. Councillors renumeration and expenses last year = £2m

Yeah, the Labour party, apparently.

I was trying to be polite in leaving out 'completely fucking stupid', thus overlooking Labour.

You've seen the UK tax system, I trust - more loopholes than an all hands meeting at the KKK. Successive UK governments could shut down those loopholes, could simplify the system to stpo tax evasion. They don't. That surely counts as encouragement for corporations and wealthy individuals to avoid tax, don't you think?

Ah but according to Banterous it's a disgrace when an individual doesn't pay the Poll Tax but completely fair for businesses never to pay the full amount they owe: it's always acceptable to try and avoid paying for as long as possible then haggle when you're found out.

Absolutely spot on.

There is no way that any individuals other than those already in agreements to pay their historical dues would've been affected by this. There is no legal basis for backdating the claims and the cost in identifying and pursuing the debts would've made it completely pointless.

This was a disgraceful attempt, by the Labour party in particular, to stifle democracy and scare people who became politically active for the first time in decades to give up their vote. These same people are likely to give Scottish Labour an absolute, and totally deserved, kicking at the General Elections next May. I sincerely hope it only motivates them further.

Scottish Labour are a disgrace, only interested in their own power and couldn't give two hoots about the difficulties faced by a large proportion of the working class people in Scotland who have voted Labour for generations.

It's time to show them the door in Scotland, Good Riddance!

Menzies Campbell condemned them and both sides were at fault.

Salmond told people to ignore Jim Murphy and did that very evasive thing of bringing up events that had made him feel threatened. If he had any integrity he'd have condemned them outright but he doesn't

He brought up events such as nearly getting run over by an angry Unionist to highlight the absurdity of the media banging on about an egg for a week. I wouldn't expect you to realise that though.

Holy f**k, look who's back. Had enough of your alter ego?

?

Which councils do you think have been chasing the arrears?

I dunno - saw a quote from a Glasgow Councillor saying "we couldn't have recovered it anyway" or words to that effect.

After Jim Murphy was pelted with an egg, he instructed people to ignore him completely and when asked to condemn it, he started talking about the threats he's received.

My god this guy Salmond is the devil incarnate! Run to the hills! Run for your lives!!!

?

I dunno - saw a quote from a Glasgow Councillor saying "we couldn't have recovered it anyway" or words to that effect.

In answer to your ?, I believe you = Banterman.

The only debt they can collect on that is more than 20 years od is debt that they already have raised court action on.

In answer to your ?, I believe you = Banterman.

The only debt they can collect on that is more than 20 years od is debt that they already have raised court action on.

Erm, yes, I am...what are you on about?

I'm actually listening to Salmond on Call kaye just now - fair play to him. not really suire what to make out of all of this

Here it is. Salmond destroyed him

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p027v2p8

Listen to all 15 minutes

Gifford got absolutely torn to shreds in most humiliating fashion. I almost felt embarrassed for him. Aberdeen Council are getting quite a name for themselves nationally for all the wrong reasons. This latest public humiliation for one of its members must surely make their electorate ask serious questions of their ability.

Archived