St Mirren ...racist shame

CELTIC ace Virgil van Dijk was targeted by a vile racist footie yob who made monkey noises and gestures as he lay on the pitch yards away.

The Dutch defender went down near the touchline at St Mirren Park when the lout hurled foul abuse.

Hoops defender van Dijk was said to be “furious” and reported the incident to cops at the final whistle. A source said: “Van Dijk made his feelings clear to the match commander and other police officers at full-time in the game.

“He was absolutely furious. It’s disgusting that this sort of thing keeps happening in football.

“The police went to one of the TV production trucks close to the stadium to request footage of the game.

“It’s now in the hands of Police Scotland — hopefully the guy who did it is quickly identified and dealt with.”

The abuse came as van Dijk went down near the west stand in the dying stages of Saturday’s Premiership clash in Paisley, which Celtic won 2-1.

A home supporter was seen mimicking a monkey and making ape-like gestures at him.

Van Dijk, who became a father earlier this month when girlfriend Rike Nooitgedagt gave birth to a baby girl, joined the Parkhead club last summer from Dutch outfit FC Groningen in a £2.6million move.

Last night he was not available for comment. St Mirren’s former ground at Love Street was the scene of another shameful racist attack, against Dutch footie hero Ruud Gullit.

The former Holland captain said the “saddest night of his life” was in Paisley when home supporters racially abused and spat at him during a game.

Gullit was a Feyenoord starlet when his side faced Saints in the UEFA Cup in 1983.

He recalled in an interview later: “It was the saddest night of my life. The Scots booed me because of my colour. I was even spat on.”

Cops are also reviewing pictures from security cameras at the ground following Saturday’s incident.

Police Scotland said: “Inquiries are continuing following a report of racial abuse of a Celtic player by a spectator during the game at St Mirren Park. We are liaising with the clubs.”

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

CELTIC ace Virgil van Dijk was targeted by a vile racist footie yob who made monkey noises and gestures as he lay on the pitch yards away.

The Dutch defender went down near the touchline at St Mirren Park when the lout hurled foul abuse.

Hoops defender van Dijk was said to be “furious” and reported the incident to cops at the final whistle. A source said: “Van Dijk made his feelings clear to the match commander and other police officers at full-time in the game.

“He was absolutely furious. It’s disgusting that this sort of thing keeps happening in football.

“The police went to one of the TV production trucks close to the stadium to request footage of the game.

“It’s now in the hands of Police Scotland — hopefully the guy who did it is quickly identified and dealt with.”

The abuse came as van Dijk went down near the west stand in the dying stages of Saturday’s Premiership clash in Paisley, which Celtic won 2-1.

A home supporter was seen mimicking a monkey and making ape-like gestures at him.

Van Dijk, who became a father earlier this month when girlfriend Rike Nooitgedagt gave birth to a baby girl, joined the Parkhead club last summer from Dutch outfit FC Groningen in a £2.6million move.

Last night he was not available for comment. St Mirren’s former ground at Love Street was the scene of another shameful racist attack, against Dutch footie hero Ruud Gullit.

The former Holland captain said the “saddest night of his life” was in Paisley when home supporters racially abused and spat at him during a game.

Gullit was a Feyenoord starlet when his side faced Saints in the UEFA Cup in 1983.

He recalled in an interview later: “It was the saddest night of my life. The Scots booed me because of my colour. I was even spat on.”

Cops are also reviewing pictures from security cameras at the ground following Saturday’s incident.

Police Scotland said: “Inquiries are continuing following a report of racial abuse of a Celtic player by a spectator during the game at St Mirren Park. We are liaising with the clubs.”

Sad that this still happens in todays day and age......Hopefully the authorities will get to the bottom of it and deal with the person.

No place for racism in football.

If proven the culprit should be banned for life from St.Mirren Park.

Every club has arseholes in it's support. If you don't think that applies to your club then you are deluded.

No place for racism in football.

If proven the culprit should be banned for life from St.Mirren Park.

Every club has arseholes in it's support. If you don't think that applies to your club then you are deluded.

Agreed. Just a shame that St Mirren Football Club seem to get dragged down by their clearly large idiot minority, certainly more often than any other club in Scotland :(

;)

Too soon?

No; the opposite. As you well know.

How about 'dredging up' the Richard Cadette abuse? Is that now time barred as well?

Dredge up whatever you want. Bigotry has no place in football and they should make an example of whoever did this. Ignorance may have been the exacerbating factor but it's clearly no excuse.

Of course, bigotry is something that the authorities in Scotland have had an issue dealing with for some time now. If St Mirren fans were alone in dishing out racist abuse in the 80s I would be fucking stunned. What took place then, in a vastly different society, has little bearing on an isolated incident in 2014.

As some have said most supports have some pretty shitty people numbered in their support, last wednesday against Dundee Utd there were Dees singing about Ciftci's nationality. Its all unacceptable and anyone caught coming out with this shite deserves to be banned from all grounds at the least. Cheap point scoring is pretty low as well, there's no mileage in singling out St. Mirren here, its more a "there but for the grace of God go we".

Archived