Aberdeen vs St Mirren - 30/09/14

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought we played really well in the first half some of the one touch football was good to see just a shame about the lack of clinical finishing plus a few good saves from Kello.

2nd half when you go 2 up then you would expect to sit in for the next 5-10 minutes to settle down yet Taylor and Logan are out of position pushing for the 3rd goal then all of a sudden Wylde is free down the left and puts one across for Ball to finish.

If you don't take your chances you will get punished so it was no surprise to see St Mirren get the penalty, even after that Aberdeen still had a couple of chances and why Rooney tried to square it for Goddwillie when he was in the box and could quite easy score himself i'll never know.

We need Anderson and Jack back to shore it up. I have to say i thought Robson merited his Man Of The Match award.

Marwood is probably the poorest of all the new signings at the moment. The others (with the obvious exception of Ridgers) have all contributed something, be it a goal or a decent performance. Can't think of Marwood doing much, although could be an assist I'm missing.

Marwood is rubbish, i can't believe he plays ahead of Caldwell. He's done absolutely nothing in every game he's played for us, no assists no goals.

There was only 1 fan boy raging last night and that was Willie Miller.

We all know he is a Dons legend and were not expecting him to be 100% neutral but if he can't hide his rage he's best not working at Aberdeen games. We were all howling at Chick Young at Ibrox the other night for doing the exact same thing. Willie Miller is right, we were poor and the Dons had enough chances to bury us but they made 2 defensive mistakes, something which he criticising StMirren all night for.

Aberdeen had a few chances to win it but didn't. We have had that story all season and have took pelters on here, rightly so, because we have been rank. When we get a cracking result with so many injuries and being 2-0 down against an on form Aberdeen we still get pelters :lol: .

So you don't think that two strikers on decent wages and decent ability should be scoring at least one of the numerous chances provided to them? Astonishing.

But they obviously didn't have enough ability to score, did they? Or they would have done. (Unless you're suggesting they chucked it?) You could have won by more, but that scenario would have relied on events that your players simply weren't capable of making happen on the night.

Your famous team met its match: that's the end of the story. I dread to think how much we could have won by had the game been played shortly after one of your taxing European adventures. You're lucky we agreed to reschedule, TBH.

Re the Barcelona thing, that's a totally different scenario and simply isn't comparable. I knew you'd struggle to get your head round this.

There was only 1 fan boy raging last night and that was Willie Miller.

We all know he is a Dons legend and were not expecting him to be 100% neutral but if he can't hide his rage he's best not working at Aberdeen games. We were all howling at Chick Young at Ibrox the other night for doing the exact same thing. Willie Miller is right, we were poor and the Dons had enough chances to bury us but they made 2 defensive mistakes, something which he criticising StMirren all night for.

Aberdeen had a few chances to win it but didn't. We have had that story all season and have took pelters on here, rightly so, because we have been rank. When we get a cracking result with so many injuries and being 2-0 down against an on form Aberdeen we still get pelters :lol: .

And we even had the audacity to cheer at the end. :(

As I said last night Marwood was a total passenger, waste of a jersey. Only my 3rd game this season but he's been completely anonymous every time.

Agree with Lex, no idea why Caldwell or even Drury aren't starting ahead of him.

Surprised to see the Dundee game thread up already and has more replies than this.

Robson could still play but only for a half. His delivery is useful but he is pretty much past it apart from that.

I'd be happy with the team from Saturday. It should be a home win certainty but we don't often get 4 in a row so who knows?

We've not drawn yet so maybe this could be the first.

Now there's a man that knows his team. ;)

And we even had the audacity to cheer at the end. :(

As I said last night Marwood was a total passenger, waste of a jersey. Only my 3rd game this season but he's been completely anonymous every time.

Agree with Lex, no idea why Caldwell or even Drury aren't starting ahead of him.

Drury hasn't done much either (although I accept he's scored) and is injured I think

Caldwell isn't going to be able to play right mid like Marwood? I thought Marwood was good against Motherwell actually but has been a bit disappointing in the other games. Not sure right wing is his thing at all.

I still think Marwood is a second striker. Marwood and Ball upfront might be good, but we tend to go 5 in the middle stopping that.

I thought we played really well in the first half some of the one touch football was good to see just a shame about the lack of clinical finishing plus a few good saves from Kello.

2nd half when you go 2 up then you would expect to sit in for the next 5-10 minutes to settle down yet Taylor and Logan are out of position pushing for the 3rd goal then all of a sudden Wylde is free down the left and puts one across for Ball to finish.

If you don't take your chances you will get punished so it was no surprise to see St Mirren get the penalty, even after that Aberdeen still had a couple of chances and why Rooney tried to square it for Goddwillie when he was in the box and could quite easy score himself i'll never know.

We need Anderson and Jack back to shore it up. I have to say i thought Robson merited his Man Of The Match award.

That's a pretty fair assessment. I was vastly unimpressed with Saints in the first half and in fact I reckon we only started playing after going 2-0 down. Aberdeen really should've been home & hosed before the penalty but I ended up with a pride in my team I didn't think was possible at half time.

For saints to be so blatantly lacking a strike force to come back from 2-0 down to get a point was extremely pleasing. Reckon this might be a bit of a schizo season.

Drury hasn't done much either (although I accept he's scored) and is injured I think

Caldwell isn't going to be able to play right mid like Marwood? I thought Marwood was good against Motherwell actually but has been a bit disappointing in the other games. Not sure right wing is his thing at all.

I still think Marwood is a second striker. Marwood and Ball upfront might be good, but we tend to go 5 in the middle stopping that.

Can't see Caldwell doing much worse wide right than Marwood tbh. At least he's shown flashes of potential which (in the games i've seen) Marwood is yet to show.

Reily could go wide right as well with Caldwell playing more central. Nothing much to lose from dropping Marwood though imo.

What was Reynolds doing with the hand ball? He looked like he was trying to win a tip-off in Basketball!

Very happy with getting a point last night, I thought that after Wylde missed and then McLean hit the bar that we'd be in for a long night, but it turned out quite nicely. Aberdeen were clearly quite a bit better than us (particularly in the middle), but we're beginning to show some fight and I'm glad we managed to fight our way back into the game. If that was a month ago we would've lost without a doubt.

Miller doesn't always blow smoke up us on Radio Scotland, so some of the comments possibly a wee bit unfair.

Last night was one of these weird games.............yes we played some scintillating attacking football at times and were wasteful, but Smurn hung in there and have some reasonable forward players in particular.

For some reason I just knew the script would end like it did - there was just something in the air, and Reynolds obliged with a moment of inexplicable lunacy.

The reason we are looking a bit less solid at the back is due to having one less in midfield. It's a dilemma for McInnes as it's difficult to advocate dropping Goodwillie or Rooney.

I think it's increasingly hard for teams to play 4-4-2 at this level unless you have the ability to switch it during the game. Saints got away with it last season as May could shift out left (as happened in the semi-final, for example) and hopefully if we sign McFadden, the same will apply. Both Rooney and Goodwillie are out-and-out strikers though and not being able to get that extra man into midfield when you are under a bit of pressure can be costly.

Although it doesn't solve the issue of trying to get both into the team, if McInnes does want the team generally to be more of a threat and use 4-4-2, would going back to using McGinn as a striker - who can then obviously drop wide too - be an option? He scored a lot of goals that first season and it would maybe rejuvenate him a bit (certainly sounds as if he needs it, going by your reports on him) if he had more freedom to get into attacking areas and get back in amongst the goals more regularly?

Either that or a switch to a back three that would let you get five in the middle again. Aberdeen actually have the players for that system when you look at the squad.

Everything about Marwood screamed poor signing. A bang average career at an extremely low level, and we appear to have signed him off the basis of one good season. I was more underwhelmed at this signing than by Guy, who also looked as bad as he turned out to be.

If, by signing him, we got Drury and Plummer then fair play. He will surely be gone at the of the season.

Just seen the highlights, how on earth did Reynolds get in the Scotland squad? :lol:

And why wasn't he booked? That's as clear a deliberate hand ball as you'll ever see. Disappointing from the ref.

For us, we seem to have found some decent form. Last 3 league games have been a win at Firhill, a narrow home loss to Celtic and a point at Pittodrie. Any side in the league would take 4 points from those 3 fixtures.

5 goals scored in the 3 games aswell, which is pretty decent considering we had scored just 1 in the previous 5. The turnaround :)

Exactly. Reynolds is a hopeless player every time I've seen him.

What a pass from Wylde for our first goal by the way. Anyone else think Ball looks a mile offside? I don't think Langfield is to blame for the goal. The ball was perfect, thats a keepers worst nightmare.

Can't believe Reynolds was trying to say he was shoved into the ball for the penalty :lol: .

What a pass from Wylde for our first goal by the way. Anyone else think Ball looks a mile offside? I don't think Langfield is to blame for the goal. The ball was perfect, thats a keepers worst nightmare.

Can't believe Reynolds was trying to say he was shoved into the ball for the penalty :lol: .

Amazing pass, but yeah, Ball looked offside.

I think Reynolds knew what he'd done, but hit the deck trying to claim he'd been clattered. Don't blame him for trying it, TBF.

Even just watching the highlights, you can see how much we missed a stabilising force in midfield. They had so much time and space to pour forward and pick their passes. How long til Osborne is back? (Or Plummer, so Goodwin can move forward again?)

Amazing pass, but yeah, Ball looked offside.

I think Reynolds knew what he'd done, but hit the deck trying to claim he'd been clattered. Don't blame him for trying it, TBF.

Even just watching the highlights, you can see how much we missed a stabilising force in midfield. They had so much time and space to pour forward and pick their passes. How long til Osborne is back? (Or Plummer, so Goodwin can move forward again?)

I actually prefer Goody at the back, and I think Cheesy does too. No idea when Ozzy is back, don't think we've really heard anything about the injury.

C'mon Saints fans.

Get a grip.

We should be happy just to be on the same pitch as a team that could score two goals that were such works of footballing beauty.

The Aberdeen team don't have players, they have artists.

Personally I feel ashamed that we stole two points from them.

Archived