2015 Holiday/Travel Plans

Andy Dufresne

New York or Vegas early on in the year, Dubai for a week in may and 2 weeks in side (turkey) August.[/quote

I was in Side in late July last year it was in the high 40's for most of the holiday.

Lovely place but never felt heat like that before it was brilliant.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply
New York or Vegas early on in the year, Dubai for a week in may and 2 weeks in side (turkey) August.[/quote

I was in Side in late July last year it was in the high 40's for most of the holiday.

Lovely place but never felt heat like that before it was brilliant.

This will be my 4th year in side, absolutely lovely place. Far better than marmaris which is like the benidorm of turkey.

Japan in March for just over 2 weeks. 8)

Where are you going in Japan? Just back after my first trip, absolutely loved it, but it was a relatively short trip as my missus was speaking at a conference there, so stayed the whole time in Tokyo and its surrounds. Planning on heading back in March/April for about the same amount of time as you and fancy doing a bit of travelling about, but not sure where best to go.

Other than that, looking at long weekends in Vienna, Budapest and Berlin to catch up with pals there and get half-cut.

Where are you going in Japan? Just back after my first trip, absolutely loved it, but it was a relatively short trip as my missus was speaking at a conference there, so stayed the whole time in Tokyo and its surrounds. Planning on heading back in March/April for about the same amount of time as you and fancy doing a bit of travelling about, but not sure where best to go.

Other than that, looking at long weekends in Vienna, Budapest and Berlin to catch up with pals there and get half-cut.

There is a decent thread on Japan here where I have imparted my advice in great detail.

I've been before, I travelled across the country for two months in 2012. From Tokyo down to Nagasaki. I'm just doing a bit of a Tokyo and day trips type holiday this time round as I went solo last time so the girlfriend has never been, staying a few nights elsewhere though not venturing too far although I have fairly mad plans for a Kyoto day trip and a day trip to Osaka on the 22nd of March for the final day of that sumo basho. It's all doable. I'm more exited about next time when I fancy a February trip covering Tohoku and Hokkaido and visiting a few winter and snow festivals although that maybe a few years from now, I'd also like to see Shikoku too.

So right now my holiday is looking like so - Eight nights in Tokyo, day trips to Kyoto, Osaka, Nikko and Yamadera in Yamagata, a night in Nagoya, two in Tsumago in the Kiso Valley and the a night by Lake Kawaguchi by Mt. Fuji followed by a further 4 nights in Tokyo and a day trip to Kamakura. it's going to be a bit non stop but having had the pleasure of two months I'm trying to condense as much into two weeks as possible. I have everything booked up and I'm looking forward to spending a lot more on hotels etc than I did the first time round.

I'm going to Dublin in June for the game, but I'm currently looking into booking up for my summer fortnight off work.

I'm off on the last two weeks of August and I fancy booking up a couple of European city breaks. I was thinking Mon-Thurs for the first week, then Mon-Thurs again for the second week. I'll be going on my own (cool as f**k, I know), but not sure exactly where yet. The cities I have in mind just now are; Prague, Krakow, Split, Budapest and Gothenburg. I'll whittle it down to two when I have the chance to really look into flights, accomodation things to do etc. Any advice would be welcome.

Paris in April. Also looking at Berlin in September, but if that falls through then Amsterdam is quite likely instead.

Been to Berlin before and loved in; not been to the other two, though I have been to the Netherlands a couple of times.

I'm going to Dublin in June for the game, but I'm currently looking into booking up for my summer fortnight off work.

I'm off on the last two weeks of August and I fancy booking up a couple of European city breaks. I was thinking Mon-Thurs for the first week, then Mon-Thurs again for the second week. I'll be going on my own (cool as f**k, I know), but not sure exactly where yet. The cities I have in mind just now are; Prague, Krakow, Split, Budapest and Gothenburg. I'll whittle it down to two when I have the chance to really look into flights, accomodation things to do etc. Any advice would be welcome.

Did Prague, Budapest and Split all in the summer there but haven't been to the others so can't comment on them.

Prague is brilliant IMO and well worth a 3 or 4 night stay, great place just to walk around and there's plenty to do around the city, could probably spend a day on its own touring the different breweries (if you make it past the first one!). Bars are obviously dirt cheap and the women are incredible, if that's the sort of thing you might be after.

Would put Budapest in the same category as Prague, both were the favourites of our summer travels in Europe, and follows the same theme of architecture and things to do. Quite a few museums around Budapest about the war and stuff which would take up a day or so along with a trip to the castle and fortress etc, then an unbelievable amount of bars around the city. Spending a few nights there means you could try a different ruin pub every night, easily the highlight of the city and the Szimpla bar is a must in the city.

Wasn't a massive fan of split, polar opposite of Prague and Budapest with it's more concrete communist feel barring the old Palace walls which you could do in a few hours. Might be handy if you were wanting a couple of days by the sea as well, but if you headed to Split I'd be inclined to use it as more of a 'base' and instead spent your time on the different Islands off the coast or up to the Krka Waterfalls a couple of hours inland, not really a city break then I suppose.

I'd recommend Dubrovnik instead of Split if that's the sort of area you fancied, a bit more expensive once you're there but well worth a visit at some point. The old town itself can take up a couple days and there's quite a bit of stuff on the Croatian Wars that are really interesting. Much preferred it to Split and you'd still have the option of a couple of Island day trips.

Wherever you go I'd recommend staying in a hostel, especially if you're by yourself, gives you the freedom to still do your own thing but they'll probably organise group walks/pub crawls and stuff, especially in Prague and Budapest.

As I said I only spent a few nights in each place and others will have better knowledge about these places but give me a shout if you want to know more!

Ireland and Gibraltar games,and just sorted out Australia for march

Thought life was just one long holiday for you?

Booked up for week in Portugal that may just happen to coincide with the Scotland game. Also planning to head back over to San Francisco again next year. Looking at streching it to a 3 week trip around Thanks Giving this time.

Well I'm moving to India next week so that has changed my plans a bit!

- Agra in Feb to see the Taj Mahal for a few days.

- Bangkok for a long weekend in March.

- Maldives over Easter for up to a week.

- Goa in August for a short break before the rainy season really kicks in!

- Med cruise with the family in October.

Also planning to be back in the UK for about a fortnight too.

Taj Mahal, Thailand, Goa and Maldives are all within a couple of hours flight from where I am going to be based. I want to see as much as possible so most trips will probably be for a long weekend or up to one week. I've never been to Asia so going to try and see as much as possible whilst in India for work.

Archived