2015 Holiday/Travel Plans

Andy Dufresne

Thinking of giving a holiday a miss this year and saving up to go to Australia and New Zealand for a few weeks next year just now.

FEW weeks! Give yourself a few months. New Zealand is bigger than you think. If you're going to do down under do it properly.

Off to Amsterdam next week for a football trip.

Budapest in the summer for a week. Flying via Bratislavia for better value flights. Will get the train to Budapest. Encouraged by the positive reviews posters on here have given the city.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much would it typically cost for three weeks in Australia (in July)? We're thinking of doing it this year and we've got friends out there who would probably put us up for a week or two. Not sure just how expensive it is though...

How much would it typically cost for three weeks in Australia (in July)? We're thinking of doing it this year and we've got friends out there who would probably put us up for a week or two. Not sure just how expensive it is though...

Depends on what you are doing but it is expensive, same as everywhere though you can find cheap places to eat and drink if you look for them and if you have friends putting you up most the time then obviously that will save alot

Have a look on sky scanner for flights but they're obviously not cheap either!

I went to Melbourne and Sydney for around two and a half weeks. Probably spent about £600. The wife spent approximately the same. That included doing a few trips along with food and drink. Return flights to Melbourne in July are about £700.

Same, I am flying out form Edinburgh on the 31st. Although I am not a queer, I snowboard 8)

Just booked 2 weeks in Thailand in April. 4 nights Bangkok and 10 nights in Koh Samui. Going with the wife so nothing dodgy :P

Never tried snow boarding but I do fancy it! Never actually had a skiing holiday either, me and 2 of my mates booked it cause we aren't students now so have money but one pulled out. Will be good, a few others wish they were coming now.

Have you hired your snowboard etc before going? And lift pass? Quite confused

Never tried snow boarding but I do fancy it! Never actually had a skiing holiday either, me and 2 of my mates booked it cause we aren't students now so have money but one pulled out. Will be good, a few others wish they were coming now.

I'm taking my own board etc as I'm going for a week and will work out cheaper adding it as luggage rather than hiring.

There will be lots of hire shops if your not taking your own. Last time I went for a few days in chamoix I used a company called ski set. Don't know if they operate in Austria though. There will be plenty of places to hire but may get it cheaper if you pre book.

You can buy you passes online upfront or on the day at most resorts. If there is poor snow conditions they may limit day tickets but that won't be an issue looking at the conditions at the moment. You can just buy passes at the gondola or sometimes hotels sell passes.

What date are you going out?

I'm taking my own board etc as I'm going for a week and will work out cheaper adding it as luggage rather than hiring.

There will be lots of hire shops if your not taking your own. Last time I went for a few days in chamoix I used a company called ski set. Don't know if they operate in Austria though. There will be plenty of places to hire but may get it cheaper if you pre book.

You can buy you passes online upfront or on the day at most resorts. If there is poor snow conditions they may limit day tickets but that won't be an issue looking at the conditions at the moment. You can just buy passes at the gondola or sometimes hotels sell passes.

Cheers mate. We've seen a few websites of hire places and it seems pretty good prices. I think we are just leaving the lift passes until we are there though.

We fly out at half 1 ish 31st january for a week you?

My Mrs is wanting to book 5 nights in New York as she has seen an offer, i would quite like to see other places and wanted a longer trip but might not be able to see as much as possible

Has anyone travelled to Washington DC from NYC? Would a day and night at Washington be a decent idea?

I've done both a day trip to Washington from New York and a four night trip.

The day trip we left about 6am ish on an Amtrak train. It takes approx 3 hours 40 minutes on a northeast regional leaving Penn Station to Union Station. Spent whole day in Washington and returned to New York about 7pm. This was fine for a quick day trip to see some sights but Washington is so interesting that it's not nearly enough to enjoy it properly. Not even an overnight stay would be enough plus it could take potential time away from being in New York!

I've done both a day trip to Washington from New York and a four night trip.

The day trip we left about 6am ish on an Amtrak train. It takes approx 3 hours 40 minutes on a northeast regional leaving Penn Station to Union Station. Spent whole day in Washington and returned to New York about 7pm. This was fine for a quick day trip to see some sights but Washington is so interesting that it's not nearly enough to enjoy it properly. Not even an overnight stay would be enough plus it could take potential time away from being in New York!

Thanks - my mrs keeps changing what she wants to do but now wants to book a 5 day trip to NYC that includes hotel and flights then we sort out spending money so either a day trip as you said or go to Washington for a full day and a night and properly look around.

Would you have said 5 nights in NYC was a good idea? The two of us have lived in London and Sydney among other cities and i would rather do some sight seeing where as she seems to want to just see NYC. I would probably rather stay longer and travel up the east coast but money is a bit tight as i am a student! She wants to book right now which i find annoying as we haven't properly agreed on what to do

I've been to New York 3 times now in the last 3 years. Spending a week at a time there and I haven't done or seen nearly enough! There's so much to see and do but for your first time 5 days will be fine to get all the iconic things done. Don't bother with East Coast, do that when you have more money and time.

When are you planning on going? Just book it, you'll not regret it. Wish I was going this year. Think we will go next year though.

I've been to New York 3 times now in the last 3 years. Spending a week at a time there and I haven't done or seen nearly enough! There's so much to see and do but for your first time 5 days will be fine to get all the iconic things done. Don't bother with East Coast, do that when you have more money and time.

When are you planning on going? Just book it, you'll not regret it. Wish I was going this year. Think we will go next year though.

Well I'm a student but will be able to work the summer so thinking about September so can save up for spending money. Due a tax rebate in April and might get 2 weeks work at Easter so might be able to have flights and accommodation paid for by then so in the summer will just need spending money which won't be a problem to save up for!

Some people say New York is great but say its good to see other places i would like to see a few places up the east coast but your obviously talking more money and more time which I'm not sure we will have! Think will do 5 nights and one of which spent in DC seeing the tourist shite and i'll be happy but there are a lot of places i want to see!

Dusseldorf for a football weekend with a few mates in March for four nights

Barcelona with the GF in May for three nights

Dublin for a couple of nights for the Ireland-Scotland game

10-14 days of a summer holiday with the GF end of August/start of September most likely, probably all inclusive somewhere, not booked yet

A few nights in the Algarve for Gibraltar-Scotland in October but that hasn't been booked yet

I love spreading different things out over the year, keeps me going at work.

Hamburg for a weekend in mid-August, then spending a few nights at the beginning of the week in Berlin. Been to Berlin and it's quality, but looking for a few tips for Hamburg:

IS the Reeperbahn good? And how much is a prostitute? Also are the prozzies in Hamburg nicer than the ones in Amsterdam? Most of the ones in the Red Light District were a bit grotty looking. Also how much is a pint in Hamburg?

IS the Reeperbahn good? And how much is a prostitute? Also are the prozzies in Hamburg nicer than the ones in Amsterdam? Most of the ones in the Red Light District were a bit grotty looking. Also how much is a pint in Hamburg?

All the important questions

Was booked to be going to Ireland for the Scotland game, but due to a shift in Rota at work I can no longer attend. On the plus side, my new rota means I can go to the Algarve for Scotland Gibraltar in October.

Currently Booked for the year is;

Ibiza first week in June for a mates Stag do

Thailand for 3 weeks on the 28th of June.

It's also looking like I'll be getting 8 weeks off from the 25th of June to the 21st August, so I'll try and get away again before the end of the summer.

I love holidays.

Archived