Gotham

Ira Gaines

Yeah I saw it too. Wasn't sure whether to start a thread or put it in spoilers in the comic book one!

Really liked the opening episode - looks like Oswald could be a major character,

building towards him becoming mayor like he is in the Earth One comic it seems to be based on

I know Bruce and Alfred are meant to be side characters, but I doubt Sean Pertwee is there to be an extra in a couple of scenes per episode.

Fish looks a good character, and it will be interesting how much we see of Falcone and his running of his crime syndicate.

Ben Mackenzie was good as Gordon, but I kept equating his voice with Bruce/Batman after the Year One animated movie.

Looking forward to the rest of it - there's a part of me wonders why no-one ever thought of doing it before!

Very good, this could be excellent!!!

The Penguin is very good, a more believable, seedier version of the character, but not quite as out there as the DeVito version, still handy with a brolly though!!!

Any Vikings fans recognising Harvey Bullock???

And the stand-up comedienne being auditioned is, or will become The Joker, right??? Very Killing Joke!!!

If so, that's the "Big Four" all seen in the first episode and it didn't feel shoehorned at all!!!

Very good, very promising will be keeping with this and Sean Pertwee is going to steal this every week isn't he???

Edited by King Kebab

Ivy felt a bit shoehorned in for me (I know she's not part of the big 4), but the rest were good. I'll be interested to see if Tommy Elliot appears at any stage.

Agreed, a bit unnecessary, even introducing her was a bit needless, surely enough to be going on with, what with The Penguin and the Falcone Empire imploding/exploding and the omnipresent Catwoman stalking young Bruce and generally lurking about, but perhaps she has been brought in to bring in someone perhaps closer in age to Bruce, someone for him to relate too perhaps as the 2Big 4" are obviously all a lot older than him!!!!!!

Do think The Riddler storyline will be good when they eventually get round to it, really, really enjoyed the wee snippet of Edward Nigma we did get and think that could be really entertaining, thought the guy portrayed it well and realistically , not as "comic book" as Jim Carrey, if you know what I mean???

Edited by King Kebab

It starts on C5 later in the year, if that helps...

ETA: October in the UK apparently.

FFS, to see it legally I need to use the C5 website or buy a TV license?

Why can't c5 just stick to shit tv that I have no interest in or at least set up a streaming service that actually works.

Agreed, another good episode, The Penguin is a bit if a mentaler isn't he???

But a believable mentaler, very much suited to this Nolan-verse version of the Batman mythos!!!

I seem to be slightly less pleased than most on this thread, after the first two episodes. (spoilers on both episodes)

I know it's a comic book show, but some people need to tone it down a bit. Fish Mooney especially, holy shit, she's chewing scenery left, right and centre.

They're putting too many villains in, too quickly. Penguin is fine, let him be a more frequent background character, same with Selina Kyle. Poison Ivy and The Riddler are completely unnecessary, and the latter is also guilty of being faaar too cheesy. Dollmaker has also just been introduced. These, in addition to Fish Mooney and Falcone is just too much. It smacks of throwing names in just to try and please the comic fans.

Having said that, McKenzie and Logue are very good. It's way better than Arrow was so I'll stick with it and hope some of these flaws ease a bit. A few other good actors thrown in (Alfred, Falcone, Gilzean) so it's more than just the leading twosome.

I watched a brief snippet and it's really not for me. The trailer really put me off and I'm pretty sure I mentioned that in a different thread.

Shame, really. Taking a "Nolanverse" (or a less comic book, even) approach and making a gritty drama - with influences from something like The Wire - would be a real winner. Set with a grown-up Bruce Wayne (you don't even need to have Batman playing a prominent role, indeed I would encourage that to be the case), it could focus on the criminal underworld and corruption within Gotham, without gimmicky child villains.

You've already got several crime families existing in the Batman universe. Throw in the Black Mask as head of rising crime syndicate and you've got civil war. Blah blah blah some corruption with Gotham's corridor of powers and a mayor controlled by the main crime families. Corrupt police department with a idealistic Harvey Dent as the new guy in internal affairs trying to stop corruption, alongside Jim Gordon. You've got the basis of a semi-interesting plot that can branch out and develop. There's numerous characters that can be made "realistic" and there's scope to create new characters.

• 2 weeks later...

I really, really like The Penguin, he's been excellent so far. Not so sure about Gordon's partner, bit too much of a caricature, especially in that last episode when he was "looking for information" (food cart bit especially), but other than that I've really enjoyed the first 3 episodes. Major scope for plenty of seasons and storylines as well!