Ayr sign Paul Slane

Well no you couldn't - most Scottish league sides have in fact won a major trophy in their existence. All significant football clubs in Scottish football have played in the top flight, sometime in the last 30 years.

The only club to fit such a 'cycle' of endless, unsurpassed failure - leaving aside the Angus village outfits comfortably pissing all over you from a great height anyway - is Ayr United. Gutted for you.

I think vikingTON, that of all of your mainly repetitive posts on the subject of Ayr United's lack of success, this is probably one of the most profound and best examples of your work.

While significance is a subjective concept, it is certainly reasonable to suggest that Ayr United are not a significant football club to you. Nevertheless, the significance of Ayr United, to those of us who support the team and club, surpasses that of every other club in the world. Strange but true.

Some people would contend that success is relative and, in the absence of a national trophy, I am content in the knowledge that I have had the good fortune to witness a large number of Ayr United matches in my lifetime that provided me with joy, sadness, frustration, exhilaration and incredible entertainment that is contained within the rich tapestry that is scottish football. I have never seen Ayr United lift a national trophy but I possess vivid memories of great matches that go way back to the nineteen sixties. I don't feel deprived because of the lack of silverware. I am philosophical about the fact that I was born in Ayr and comfortable with my decision to support my local team.

I'm sure that you witnessed some wonderful Morton top-flight matches 27 years ago and more and of course the recognised criteria for a club being considered 'significant' is the well-known 30 year rule. So, congratulations on your contribution to that wonderful achievement.

That is not the sole source of satisfaction for you however. No, you can be rightly proud of the famous Greenock Morton winning a national trophy, the only true measure of success for scottish football clubs. I cannot look back to a year that Ayr United won the Scottish Cup and indeed,you have the bragging rights on that one.

I envy your experience and I'm certain you often have moments of nostalgia when you rewind back to that day at Hampden in 1922. No doubt you can still smell the air on the slopes of Hampden Park on that special day, see the team run out in those famous colours, hear the noise of the crowd that filled the old ground, feel the blood quickening in your veins at the very thought of the goal that brought the trophy back to Cappielow and of course indulge yourself in the memory of the trophy being lifted above the head of your team captain.

Tell everyone in this forum vikingTON old friend, what was it really like ? How did it really feel ? describe the scenes for all of us, mere mortals who have never experienced the overwhelming euphoria of true success. Having had your telegram from the Queen a number of years ago, I genuinely hope that you are still sound of mind and able to recall the events of 93 years past.

I suppose I'll have to satisfy myself with the forlorn hope that maybe one day Ayr United will win that elusive first trophy. However, the chances are that I'll probably have to settle for the memories I have accumulated to date. It's really not that bad. In fact, I wouldn't change it for the world.

I'll be honest, I've never quite understood your fixation with Ayr United but be assured, nothing you can type in your incessant posts will take away the enjoyment that our team has given us Ayr fans throughout the years.

So, to conclude, gutted for you, thanks for playing, blah, blah, blah.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ayr fans what was the deal with Paul slane always thought he would be a crackin player?

Barely saw him play but that was due to a run of injuries plus his suspension. Had an ongoing groin issue though hopefully some rest will have settled that, but said rest also led to a drop in fitness. Those who knew him at Celtic speak very highly of his commitment and supposedly we haven't seen the best of him yet. Still time for him to be a cracking player I reckon!

Archived