Nicola Sturgeon

ICTJohnboy

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Legislation you say?

Here is the STUC on it

http://stucbetterway.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/the-living-wage-and-eu-procurement-law.html

"So, to return to an important point. Not only, would the Scottish Government have a strong case, but it is very hard to imagine the circumstances in which its case would be tested by a commercial company in court.

"It is for these reasons that I am tempted to conclude that there are other considerations, chiefly financial ones, which are at play here. That’s a debate we should be prepared to have openly rather than relying on a single and questionable interpretation of EU law."

Dates are your friend. Look at the date of your blog and then compare it to the date of the judgement from the EU (18/09/2014).

Legislation you say?

Here is the STUC on it

http://stucbetterway.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/the-living-wage-and-eu-procurement-law.html

"So, to return to an important point. Not only, would the Scottish Government have a strong case, but it is very hard to imagine the circumstances in which its case would be tested by a commercial company in court.

"It is for these reasons that I am tempted to conclude that there are other considerations, chiefly financial ones, which are at play here. That’s a debate we should be prepared to have openly rather than relying on a single and questionable interpretation of EU law."

"I am certainly no legal expert"

Duh.

Speaking of London. There are currently 16 boroughs in London and only 10 of these currently pay the London Living Wage, 2 are promising to implement it and 4 have no plans to do so. Compare that to Scottish Local Authorities.

Also

The London Legacy Development Corporation (LLDC) requires all of its contractors on the Park to pay its directly employed workforce the London Living Wage as a minimum. It is not a requirement for subcontractors.

Speaking of London. There are currently 16 boroughs in London and only 10 of these currently pay the London Living Wage, 2 are promising to implement it and 4 have no plans to do so. Compare that to Scottish Local Authorities.

Also

http://www.theguardian.com/local-government-network/2013/nov/04/islington-living-wage-week

" Crucially,the Living wage has been a requirement in all procurement processes for all new contracts."

And, as you point out, this is without the benefit of actual legislation encouraging it in the first place.

What was the amendment on?

After section 9, insert —<

Scottish living wage duty

(1) For the purposes of this Act, the Scottish living wage duty is the duty of a contracting

authority to specify in the contract notice relating to a regulated procurement

that it intends to impose a condition relating to the performance of the contract that the

economic operator who is the successful tenderer must pay the Scottish living wage.

(2) An economic operator pays the Scottish living wage if the remuneration of each of its

employees who undertakes any activities related to the performance of the contract is at

least the Scottish living wage.

(3) The Scottish Ministers must by regulations define the Scottish living wage for the

purposes of this Act, and may from time to time as they see fit revise such definition.

Actually, i've had some very enjoyable chats on some issues - primarily devolution and this issue of the living wage. I have not once seen you have a discussion of genuine substance, which is a pity, as I'm sure you have some ideas about how to make this country of ours a better place.

All my posts are of substance. Yours consist of taking absolutely nothing on board whilst battering on with your strange little agendas.

http://www.theguardian.com/local-government-network/2013/nov/04/islington-living-wage-week

" Crucially,the Living wage has been a requirement in all procurement processes for all new contracts."

And, as you point out, this is without the benefit of actual legislation encouraging it in the first place.

Did you actually read the article?

Not wanting to abrogate responsibility for anyone working on our behalf, now, in 2013, 92% of our contractors get paid at least the London living wage as well. We have got there in some cases by bringing contracted services, like our cleaners, back in-house, raising their wages at no extra cost to our residents by cutting out exorbitant management fees.

:lol:

So where they cannot get the contracting company to agree, they take the services back in house. Not exactly forcing companies to pay the living wage then is it. :rolleyes:

All my posts are of substance. Yours consist of taking absolutely nothing on board whilst battering on with your strange little agendas.

As I said, I look forward to you contributing some worthwhile orginal thoughts. You're a funny guy,capable of empathy so I look forward to you rustling something up over the coming weeks.

Look how nice i was - not even mentioning your unhealthy attitude towards women....

Did you actually read the article?

:lol:

So where they cannot get the contracting company to agree, they take the services back in house. Not exactly forcing companies to pay the living wage then is it. :rolleyes:

Which is why i made a point of talking about legislation....

The SNP could have delivered a better set up than the one councils liket hat currently exploit. They choose not to

As I said, I look forward to you contributing some worthwhile orginal thoughts. You're a funny guy,capable of empathy so I look forward to you rustling something up over the coming weeks.

Look how nice i was - not even mentioning your unhealthy attitude towards women....

You started off so well as well.

#textbookbants

Moving a goal post there pal. You said there wasn't a vote on it - turns out there was....

I haven't moved any goal posts but I have given you the information that you were too lazy to find for yourself. There wasn't a vote on implementing the living wage, on that we should all be clear. If you don't know the difference between voting on an amendment to a procurement bill and the primary legislation then I give up.

So do you believe that contractors that employ people from countries with a different standard of living should be forced to pay them the Scottish living wage, the level of which is set based on scottish standards of living?

Which is why i made a point of talking about legislation....

The SNP could have delivered a better set up than the one councils liket hat currently exploit. They choose not to

But London are arleady doing it was your argument. Clearly they are not.

Archived