Ski Holidays

orlandoblue

Ski runs are graded from beginners, intermediate and hard by colour (blue/red/black) Your best bet is to look for a resorts ski runs, they will always display them in colour and you can see how many blue they have.

From experience, i found Seefeld in Austria and Saas Fe in Switzerland to be quite good for beginners/intermediate.

Any experts on here ? Do most resorts cater for complete beginners and where's the good places to go?

Anywhere in Aosta Valley (Italy) is a safe bet for beginners, nice and high so the snow's usually fairly reliable. Steamboat in America's a good laugh if you can handle the brutal jet lag.

The vast majority of the "mainstream" resorts cater for complete beginners, although your as well to learn the basics of skiing in Scotland first before you go abroad. If you learn to Ski in Scotland, you'll be able to handle anywhere in the world nae bother. Trust me, it doesn't get any worse than the lecht or indeed Cairngorm.

If you can afford it I'd go for a quiet hotel in Norway with its own ski lift, somewhere like Geilo. The worst thing for a beginner is carrying the equipment about, skis poles and boots. If you can leave them at the hotel exit, put them on and cruise gently to the ski lift, it makes learning a lot easier than having to scramble onto buses poking everyone's eyes out.

Most package holidays offer lessons and hire etc. They're not cheap, but then it's not a cheap hobby.

As mentioned, Aosta Valley is certainly easy for beginners. That's where I learn to board, but that was almost 15 year ago. Was mostly school kids back then.

My last trip was Mayrhofen, which is relatively party orientated, but there's some reasonable beginners slopes too. Plenty of others here though who are more travelled on this kinda thing than me though.

Cheers,

What's the usual script for beginners? Can you buy a sort of package holiday incorporating lessons and slope time or do you need to sort all that sort of stuff when you get to a resort?

Crystal do a Ski Plus package which is the package hotel plus and lift passes,, just book your Ski gear online before you go (from one of the umpteen places in the resort) ..

check out a site called Skiclubgreatbritain or Snowforcast. They have resort reviews etc..

There's some awesome resorts here in the Canadian Rockies...

I was a complete beginner before moving here, got donated a set of skis from a workmate and a couple of lessons (like $25/hr) and then just went for it, learning as I went not to go through trees too often as the snow is thick and deep :lol:

• 4 months later...

Archived