NAW voters

1320Lichtie

Djibouti, then French Somaliland, voted against independence from France in 1958 and again in 1967 before eventually voting in favour of independence in 1977. It's unusual for a prospective state to vote against independence, but not unprecedented.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's pretty melodramatic in my opinion mate.

I was prepared in fact even expected, a wee hit financially initially with a Yes, but I wouldn't go as far as that(roof and food).

I do get the economic plans were a bit half baked for a lot of people, especially on the currency, but I don't think there will ever be a situation where it's all mapped out. There's always going to be imponderables in a referendum on massive constitutional change.

Perhaps so but I work in an industry that is the most suseptable to economic downturns......and very nearly lost everything in 2009.

I hope to see constitutional change but remain part of the UK.

Perhaps so but I work in an industry that is the most suseptable to economic downturns......and very nearly lost everything in 2009.

That's perfectly understandable if you've had a brush before. Most of Aberdeen and it's industries are pretty insulated from a lot of downturns, maybe I'm being a bit flippant.

I hope to see more change now as well, hopefully(in my eyes) a more gradual approach to independence. I think that's what Salmond really wanted as well tbf.

Have a look at this:

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/comment/scottish-independence-learn-from-quebecs-mistakes-and-beware-lastminute-promises-vote-yes-9737607.html

By the way, don't be surprised if Westminster pass a law to prevent any more future referendums on independence.

Interesting and further bolsters my belief that the wrong decision has been made.

None have said guarantee me more money.

Being convinced that the economic proposals were good enough to keep a roof over your head & food on the table let alone maintaining your current lifestyle weren't.

Not good enough to keep a roof over your head? Ffs :lol:

None have said guarantee me more money.

Being convinced that the economic proposals were good enough to keep a roof over your head & food on the table let alone maintaining your current lifestyle weren't.

^^

Shat it

Not good enough to keep a roof over your head? Ffs :lol:

It's quite simple really.....if the economy isn't growing Companies & individuals don't build or extend facilities with the need for Engineers & PM's vastly reduced.

I've seen Teachers and the like go on strike over having pay freezes........my rates halved and still haven't recovered to pre 2008 levels. That's life but that's also how fragile the economy can be.

^^

Shat it

Why would I shit it? I have a degree from an English University, have 20+years experience and skills required in England........if the economy in an iScotland failed I'd join others in the "brain drain" and head down South but with taxation from my earnings benefitting the UK.

Yep, this happened within the system that you have just voted to keep in place. Any evidence that this was likely to be more likely in an iScotland?

Has the UK promised that there will be no more economic downturns?

Yep, this happened within the system that you have just voted to keep in place. Any evidence that this was likely to be more likely in an iScotland?

Has the UK promised that there will be no more economic downturns?

No but an iScotland proposed to use someone elses currency with no means of controlling our interest rates or inflation.......let alone means of quanitive easing required to bail out our banks.

No but an iScotland proposed to use someone elses currency with no means of controlling our interest rates or inflation.......let alone means of quanitive easing required to bail out our banks.

You left out plan B. If we couldn't use someone else's currency with their permission we were going to stick two fingers up to our share of existing national debt then hit up the international money markets for a tap of a few billion quid. Probably trying to use someone else's AAA credit rating because we were quite happy to take that from the UK after leaving them with the debt.

Was bound to work. Salmond said it would.

You left out plan B. If we couldn't use someone else's currency with their permission we were going to stick two fingers up to our share of existing national debt then hit up the international money markets for a tap of a few billion quid. Probably trying to use someone else's AAA credit rating because we were quite happy to take that from the UK after leaving them with the debt.

Was bound to work. Salmond said it would.

That might have worked.....

That might have worked.....

Course it would. These people never look at your history of paying back borrowings or your track record in general. Even if they lent us the money it would have been at a rate that would have had pay-day loan companies feeling embarrased if we'd reneged on the national debt.

Lads no arguing/debating please, just a few quick questions after speaking to people who voted NO in work today.

Do you ever want to see Scotland as an Independent nation?

Don't know. At the moment I'm happy its part of the Union.

Did you want to vote YES this time but were not convinced by the YES sides argument?

No.

Do you think in a future referendum you could be tempted to vote YES if Westminster does not deliver or the YES sides argument is more solid?

Unless my circumstances change i won't be voting in any future referendum either. I didn't get upset with the level of devolution that was available, but independence is inevitable if Westminster doesn't deliver. I would like a federal UK, but also wasn't overly annoyed we didn't have one. For the second part - I'd have probably voted yes were I convinced in their argument and that I genuinely believed Scotland would be more successful.

Do you think regardless of feelings the Union will last forever?

I have no idea. I'd say probably not, and there's no guarantee other separatist movements would develop in an independent Scotland.

Being the only country to reject independence how do you feel about that?

It isn't, and I wouldn't have given a shit if it was. It has nothing to do with the rest of the world and I doubt most of them give two fucks about it.

What were your main reasons for voting NO in short bullet points?

Economically, I think it would've been a bad move. The proposed plan was, to me, a series of unfunded pledges and a move in cutting corporation tax would actually leave us with less revenue to fund these pledges unless taxes were raised elsewhere. The icing on the cake was the awful currency argument and the rubbish spouted over the EU. Yes, I thought that a lot of the No campaign stuff was dreadful, but even legitimate concerns involving legal problems were simply dismissed as 'scaremongering'.

OK, so the "our" in this is you, your neighbour and who else? You have no means of controlling your interest rates at the moment.

Course it would. These people never look at your history of paying back borrowings or your track record in general. Even if they lent us the money it would have been at a rate that would have had pay-day loan companies feeling embarrased if we'd reneged on the national debt.

OK so now you are telling me that the markets set the interest rates, not the government. Which is it?

OK, so the "our" in this is you, your neighbour and who else? You have no means of controlling your interest rates at the moment.

OK so now you are telling me that the markets set the interest rates, not the government. Which is it?

No.....the BoE currently sets interest rates based upon how the economy is performing as a whole.....this at present includes Scotland. It wouldn't if we were independent and merely using their currency.

The London economy is currently overheating with them desperate to increase interest rates to stem inflation.....the BoE has refused to do this as they know this will damage the economy elsewhere that is still just coming out of recession. This includes Scotland.

When you (or the government) borrow money from someone they can lend it at whatever rate they want, or not. The way these things work is the more of a risk you are to paying it back the higher the interest rate you have to borrow at. Do you think we'd have been issuing gilts left right and centre at low interest rates with no track record of paying anything back?

Lads no arguing/debating please, just a few quick questions after speaking to people who voted NO in work today.

Do you ever want to see Scotland as an Independent nation?

I have always seen Scotland as an Independent country... That is to say it's own country with it's own identity - as part of the UK

Did you want to vote YES this time but were not convinced by the YES sides argument?

It never really bothered me - I voted no on reasons I thought for the best. If I had thought it was best for Scotland to braek away from the Union I would have voted for that.

Do you think in a future referendum you could be tempted to vote YES if Westminster does not deliver or the YES sides argument is more solid?

If the reasons put forward for Independence seemed ( to me ) I would vote for it.

Do you think regardless of feelings the Union will last forever?

No. With ( If ) there is an English Parliament as well I think it will be the beginning of the end. I am 41 though and I think the Union will last my lifetime at least.

Being the only country to reject independence how do you feel about that?

I don't think that's true but I couldn't care less - Why should that bother anyone ?

What were your main reasons for voting NO in short bullet points?

I think we are better together :thumsup2 A lot to be lost and nothing much to be gained.

A quick comment though.... I find it incredible that the Independence brigade ( or at least some of them ) don't want to respect the democratic will of the people ( especially with such a high turn out ) and now want to indulge in a finger pointing exercise - whilst plotting their next campaign. Clearly, democracy is OK for them - as long as everybody goes along with their point of view...

No.....the BoE currently sets interest rates based upon how the economy is performing as a whole.....this at present includes Scotland. It wouldn't if we were independent and merely using their currency.

The London economy is currently overheating with them desperate to increase interest rates to stem inflation.....the BoE has refused to do this as they know this will damage the economy elsewhere that is still just coming out of recession. This includes Scotland.

Well hold on to your hat, 'cause those increases in rates are coming.

When you (or the government) borrow money from someone they can lend it at whatever rate they want, or not. The way these things work is the more of a risk you are to paying it back the higher the interest rate you have to borrow at. Do you think we'd have been issuing gilts left right and centre at low interest rates with no track record of paying anything back?

Well thanks for the education. It would help if the teacher actually knew what they were teaching. The government has not issued gilts left, right and centre at low interest rates - they have been buying them via the BOE. You do realise that 1/3 of our debt has been bought by the BOE through QE don't you?

Archived