Nope

forever_blue

Could be way off, but I think he means along the lines of newspaper headlines, friend of a friend type stories of people being attacked by viscous gangs of spiders etc etc.

They'd be pretty easy to outrun, wouldn't they?

Little kids have no fear of bugs and will happily handle creepy crawlies in the garden, but as they get older they "learn" that these things should scare them.

Pretty much this. An example of social conditioning would be where you weren't bothered about spiders until you grew old enough to see and hear your mother scared of them and telling you that they're horrible things which should be immediately thrown out or killed.

Dare I say it, the same could apply to many in Scotland who say they hate the Tories. They don't actually know what conservatism is or their manifesto but they've grown up being told that they're bad and as a result will vote for anyone but them. I have to admit to bring in this category once but then I read up on it all and hate them even more now.

I decided to check on Steve and Niamh in the garage today. Niamh was hiding in her(?) usual place but Steve wasn't to be seen. Instead I found a moderate sized spider on Steve's web but there's no way it was him - only half the size. I can only conclude that Steve and Niamh have been rocking the garage at night and that we've got a spider factory in the garage which is attached to the kitchen. Maybe Steve's been divorced and been sent to the house. :unsure2:

I decided to check on Steve and Niamh in the garage today. Niamh was hiding in her(?) usual place but Steve wasn't to be seen. Instead I found a moderate sized spider on Steve's web but there's no way it was him - only half the size. I can only conclude that Steve and Niamh have been rocking the garage at night and that we've got a spider factory in the garage which is attached to the kitchen. Maybe Steve's been divorced and been sent to the house. :unsure2:

Don't female spiders usually eat/kill their mates after pumping them?

R.i.p steve

Don't female spiders usually eat/kill their mates after pumping them?

R.i.p steve

vader.jpg

An Ode to Steve

Steve - you were my spider,

And just a little bit wider,

Than the biggest one I'd previously seen before,

That ran across the floor,

Whilst I watched the TV.

Steve - You were the best there could be.

You came and settled in my house,

And you were as quiet as a mouse,

Except you weren't a mouse,

You were a spider.

As I sometimes watched you make your web,

I didn't want you to end up dead,

Oh why did you have to die?

As you were excellent at catching the fly.

Oh my favourite spider Steve,

For a few days I am sure to grieve.

All because you were eaten by Niamh.

I will never forget you. :bairn

rip-clipart-halloween-tombstone-spider.p

Edited by Hedgecutter

vader.jpg

An Ode to Steve

Steve - you were my spider,

And just a little bit wider,

Than the biggest one I'd previously seen before,

That ran across the floor,

Whilst I watched the TV.

Steve - You were the best there could be.

You came and settled in my house,

And you were as quiet as a mouse,

Except you weren't a mouse,

You were a spider.

As I sometimes watched you make your web,

I didn't want you to end up dead,

Oh why did you have to die?

As you were excellent at catching the fly.

Oh my favourite spider Steve,

For a few days I am sure to grieve.

I will never forget you. :bairn

We are here for you mate during this tough time. XX

P.s Take it that it is just going to be awkward around you and Niamh now ?

Edited by forever_blue

We are here for you mate during this tough time. XX

P.s Take it that it is just going to be awkward around you and Niamh now ?

Her life is in considerable danger. I will STRONGLY ADVISE that she moves out.

I am the same mate, actually terrified of them . I hate it , it is completely irrational but I can't help it . It has calmed down a bit recently but it was dreadfull at times, used to Hoover them up and stand with the bit as far out as possible and try to not even look at it as I done it, if one was in my room I would not sleep till it was dead as trapping it and moving it was not even an option but I couldn't even go near the thing. Bed time would consist of checking under pillows , duvets and even lifting the mattress as I had experiences of the fuckers crawling about when I was in bed, it was like OCD, grim . :(

. One of my best mates thought it would be funny to try and put one on me (reasonably sized)at a house party a few years back when I was about 17 , gave him plenty of warnings as he headed over that I did not find it remotely funny and I am not a violent person and a generally happy drunk who can take a laugh aimed at me no bother but as soon as he got a certain distance I just about flew for him and had to be calmed down

Don't let anyone tell you that you're a weirdo or a pussy for having a supposedly "irrationally" fear of spiders. It's normal.

Mine is bees and wasps. Absolutely terrified of them. Was doing heavy lifting today and a bee was flying about in my face. Had no arms free to swat it away and I was freaking out. Been encountering a lot of wasps lately as well (they're really bad this year).

It's October now. Why won't they f**k off? :(

Don't let anyone tell you that you're a weirdo or a pussy for having a supposedly "irrationally" fear of spiders. It's normal.

Mine is bees and wasps.

Is this not more or less a fear of getting stung by them rather than not liking the way they move / look or whatever?

If so, does the same relate to spiders where we all know that some spiders bite and kill you (and folk apply that fear to the lot of them)?

Don't get me wrong, if I woke up in the middle of the night to see a big spider snuggling down beside me vying for the duvet, I'd shite myself.

But seeing a big spider merrily stoating around your bathroom, garage etc... minding its own business and generally just trying to keep its head down and keep the fly population down. Good luck to them.

Now horse flies on the other hand. They are truly evil b*****ds (been bitten twice on the foot.. both times my foot swelled up to twice its normal size and I had to take to my bed). Of course, good old Comrade Spider will quite happily have a horsefly for his tea. The only problem is, of course, that horseflies fly and spiders don't.

So what we need is flying spiders. There, I've said it.

Don't get me wrong, if I woke up in the middle of the night to see a big spider snuggling down beside me vying for the duvet, I'd shite myself.

But seeing a big spider merrily stoating around your bathroom, garage etc... minding its own business and generally just trying to keep its head down and keep the fly population down. Good luck to them.

Now horse flies on the other hand. They are truly evil b*****ds (been bitten twice on the foot.. both times my foot swelled up to twice its normal size and I had to take to my bed). Of course, good old Comrade Spider will quite happily have a horsefly for his tea. The only problem is, of course, that horseflies fly and spiders don't.

So what we need is flying spiders. There, I've said it.

233f94abcb39add36fc937ad1642bf3ca304959f