Nope

forever_blue

Anybody ever survived a 160ft fall in a bus only to be stung to death by killer bees? 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/05/09/killer-bees-nicaragua-deaths-bus-crash-hives/

Spoiler

Six killed by killer bees after bus crashes into hives

Although the coach plunged more than 160ft off the road, local reports say medics are attributing the victims’ deaths to the insect stings

By Natalia Penza 9 May 2023 • 10:34am

Six people including a mother and her eight-year-old daughter have died after being attacked by killer bees following a traffic accident in Nicaragua.

The victims were among around 60 passengers on board a coach that came off the road and ended up crashing in an area where African honeybees were being kept in hives.

The angry insects are said to have reacted by stinging 45 passengers on the bus as they escaped from the vehicle.

Although the coach was damaged after plunging more than 160ft off the road into a coffee plantation where the bees were being kept in wooden hives, local reports say medics are attributing the victims’ deaths to the insect stings.

Initial reports put the number of dead at four following Monday morning’s accident.

But it later emerged two of the most seriously-injured victims had died in hospital.

Four-year-old in serious condition

The crash happened in the municipality of San Sebastian de Yali, around 115 miles north of the Nicaraguan capital Managua.

The victims included a 47-year-old woman named locally as Eneyda Torrez Zelaya, and her daughter Andrea Carolina Garcia Torrez, eight.

Another of those killed was an 84-year-old woman named as Reyna Isabel Olivas Montalvan.

A four-year-old boy is said to be in a serious condition in Victoria Mota Hospital in Jinotega, the nearest city to the crash scene.

Photos of those injured showed the victims with dozens of red welts all over their upper bodies.

Some were filmed arriving at hospital in the back of ambulances surrounded by anguished crowds of people.

Investigation under way

An investigation into the cause of the accident is ongoing, although initial reports point to the 22-year-old driver losing control of his vehicle because of mechanical faults.

Africanised bees, also known as Africanised honey bees and colloquially as the “killer bee”, is a hybrid of the western honey bee.

They are typically more defensive, reacting to disturbances faster and chasing people further than other varieties of honey bees.

They have killed some 1,000 humans, with victims receiving 10 times more stings than from European honey bees.

The insects, which spread through South and North America after being introduced to Brazil in the 1950s and escaping quarantine, have also been blamed for the deaths of horses and other animals they have attacked.

On 21/04/2023 at 07:50, Leith Green said:

Obviously he got out, but yikes !!!

Full video below - this nugget decided to go caving on his own, as his brother couldnt make it.

If he was able to pause his escape to speak to the camera his situation can't have been as desperate as is being made out

Still rather not,mind you

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Has anybody on PnB survived having a bird drop a snake on them, the snake attacks them and then the bird comes back to fight you for its dinner? No, me neither...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/08/09/peggy-jones-snake-dropped-sky-hawk-attacked-wounded-texas/

Spoiler

Hawk drops snake on woman - and both animals attack her

Serpent attacks gardener by biting her repeatedly before bird swoops down to reclaim its prey

By Verity Bowman 9 August 2023 • 10:16am
Peggy Jones was attacked by a snake and hawk
Peggy Jones says she feels 'like the luckiest person alive to have survived this'

A Texan gardener says she is “relieved to be alive” after being attacked by a snake that fell from the sky – and a hawk that swooped down to reclaim its prey.

Peggy Jones, 64, was mowing her lawn when the passing hawk dropped its dinner directly onto her.

The serpent quickly coiled itself around her arm and bit her repeatedly. The hawk then joined the melee, attacking Ms Jones’s arm as it tried in vain to untangle the snake.

“It (the snake) was starting to dart at my face...and he was striking my glasses and he just kept on and kept on,” she said. “I just couldn’t get rid of the snake… I think I went into survival mode.”

Eventually, the hawk was able to pull the snake off of Ms Jones’s arm, leaving her husband to take her to the hospital.

Ms Jones said she had suffered deep bite and talon wounds, as well as smashed glasses which she said had been covered in snake venom.

Peggy Jones
Peggy Jones was mowing her lawn when the serpent wrapped itself around her arm and bit her

“Finally he (the hawk) got the snake and took off with the snake, and I looked down and I was covered in blood, my arm was pretty torn up,” she told a local radio station.

Ms Jones said that she prayed as the pair of animals attacked her, fearing the worst.

Advertisement

“The snake was squeezing so hard, and I was waving my arms in the air,” she told Click2Houston.

“Then, this hawk was swooping down, clawing at my arm over and over. I just kept saying, ‘help me, Jesus, help me, Jesus’.”

The incident took place in the town of Silsbee, Texas, near the Louisiana border, on July 25.

Ms Jones said that she feels “like the luckiest person alive to have survived this”, but said she has been left traumatised.

“You try to sleep at night, you can’t sleep, and you’re afraid to shut your eyes because you know if you shut your eyes you will have a nightmare and relive the situation,” she said.

“I’m happy I’m alive. I’m happy I’m here… It showed me how in a blink of an eye things can change. I feel differently about life now.”

She said she believed the hawk had saved her life.

The hawk eventually pulled the snake off of Ms Jones’s arm

“I think that was God’s way of letting me live because I couldn’t figure out a way — the snake was not letting go of my arm,” she said.

Likely a non-venomous rat snake

Though the area is home to several species of venomous snakes, Bryan Hughes, a local snake expert, said the serpent was likely a non-venomous rat snake.

“It fell on the woman and hung onto her because this was a panicked, injured animal,” Mr Hughes told Insider. “Then the bird swept down to finish what it started.”

It was not the first time that Ms Jones had come face to face with the local snake population, however.

Ms Jones survived being bitten by a venomous snake several years ago, she said.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.3be47ff27bab33ae960d95fac8c0b35d.png

7 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Has anybody on PnB survived having a bird drop a snake on them, the snake attacks them and then the bird comes back to fight you for its dinner? No, me neither...

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2023/08/09/peggy-jones-snake-dropped-sky-hawk-attacked-wounded-texas/

Reveal hidden contents

Serpent attacks gardener by biting her repeatedly before bird swoops down to reclaim its prey

Peggy Jones says she feels 'like the luckiest person alive to have survived this'

A Texan gardener says she is “relieved to be alive” after being attacked by a snake that fell from the sky – and a hawk that swooped down to reclaim its prey.

Peggy Jones, 64, was mowing her lawn when the passing hawk dropped its dinner directly onto her.

The serpent quickly coiled itself around her arm and bit her repeatedly. The hawk then joined the melee, attacking Ms Jones’s arm as it tried in vain to untangle the snake.

“It (the snake) was starting to dart at my face...and he was striking my glasses and he just kept on and kept on,” she said. “I just couldn’t get rid of the snake… I think I went into survival mode.”

Eventually, the hawk was able to pull the snake off of Ms Jones’s arm, leaving her husband to take her to the hospital.

Ms Jones said she had suffered deep bite and talon wounds, as well as smashed glasses which she said had been covered in snake venom.

Peggy Jones
Peggy Jones was mowing her lawn when the serpent wrapped itself around her arm and bit her

“Finally he (the hawk) got the snake and took off with the snake, and I looked down and I was covered in blood, my arm was pretty torn up,” she told a local radio station.

Ms Jones said that she prayed as the pair of animals attacked her, fearing the worst.

Advertisement

“The snake was squeezing so hard, and I was waving my arms in the air,” she told Click2Houston.

“Then, this hawk was swooping down, clawing at my arm over and over. I just kept saying, ‘help me, Jesus, help me, Jesus’.”

The incident took place in the town of Silsbee, Texas, near the Louisiana border, on July 25.

Ms Jones said that she feels “like the luckiest person alive to have survived this”, but said she has been left traumatised.

“You try to sleep at night, you can’t sleep, and you’re afraid to shut your eyes because you know if you shut your eyes you will have a nightmare and relive the situation,” she said.

“I’m happy I’m alive. I’m happy I’m here… It showed me how in a blink of an eye things can change. I feel differently about life now.”

“I think that was God’s way of letting me live because I couldn’t figure out a way — the snake was not letting go of my arm,” she said.

Though the area is home to several species of venomous snakes, Bryan Hughes, a local snake expert, said the serpent was likely a non-venomous rat snake.

“It fell on the woman and hung onto her because this was a panicked, injured animal,” Mr Hughes told Insider. “Then the bird swept down to finish what it started.”

It was not the first time that Ms Jones had come face to face with the local snake population, however.

Reveal hidden contents

It's not even lunchtime yet - give it time.

3 hours ago, alta-pete said:

Hide contents

Peggy Jones

Advertisement

Reveal hidden contents

Lucky white heather time.  I think the funniest bit of the story is that she was asking Jesus for help. Dunno why. Presumably he knew it was going to happen and did eff all to prevent it. Maybe He thought she deserved it.

That'll be the mysterious ways thing again.

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

GET YOUR FUCKING HAND AWAY FROM THAT FOR THE FUCKING LOVE OF CHRIST!!!!!!

Also....

@KnightswoodBear

At least they don't sting you on the arse like b*****d wasps do. I like to encourage spiders in my house to snack on wasps, flies and other such undesirables.

I've yet to be stung or bitten on the arse by a spider.

Spiders = good guys

Wasps = wanks

1 minute ago, Rizzo said:

At least they don't sting you on the arse like b*****d wasps do. I like to encourage spiders in my house to snack on wasps, flies and other such undesirables.

I've yet to be stung or bitten on the arse by a spider.

Spiders = good guys

Wasps = wanks

It wouldn't get through those leather gloves you've got on.