Nope

forever_blue

I was out this evening but received a series of increasingly hysterical texts from Mrs Shotgun after she discovered this charmer in the house. For perspective, that's a curtain rod he's sitting on and it has a 1 inch diameter. Fortunately it hadn't moved by the time I got home so I was able to capture him with the aid of a paper towel and a small bucket. Took him down the road and saw him off on his new life in the forest.  I don't mind spiders as a rule but this one gave me the heebie-jeebies.

unnamed.jpg

1 hour ago, Shotgun said:

I was out this evening but received a series of increasingly hysterical texts from Mrs Shotgun after she discovered this charmer in the house. For perspective, that's a curtain rod he's sitting on and it has a 1 inch diameter. Fortunately it hadn't moved by the time I got home so I was able to capture him with the aid of a paper towel and a small bucket. Took him down the road and saw him off on his new life in the forest.  I don't mind spiders as a rule but this one gave me the heebie-jeebies.

unnamed.jpg

@KnightswoodBear

On 15/10/2020 at 14:29, WhiteRoseKillie said:

moths-and-butterflies.jpg.da3e810ff73be0cdac8ac3a12317b010.jpg

Either this is a for-real beastie, in which case, "Why, God?", or some sick fúck has been at the photoshop to turn up the shivers for lepidopterophobics like YT, in which case, "God, Why?"

Nothing to worry about. It's just off to a George Clinton soul and funk all-nighter.

101783ef1710cf7934c3e6d1c1b067a9.jpg.ee16e7ecb72f30686b3a90fb31c5d630.jpg

On 15/10/2020 at 21:29, WhiteRoseKillie said:

moths-and-butterflies.jpg.da3e810ff73be0cdac8ac3a12317b010.jpg

Either this is a for-real beastie, in which case, "Why, God?", or some sick fúck has been at the photoshop to turn up the shivers for lepidopterophobics like YT, in which case, "God, Why?"

It's a real beastie - The Rosy Maple Moth apparently.

On 25/10/2020 at 21:38, Zetterlund said:

This beastie has been unmoving, daring me to drop the blinds for nearly 48hrs now.

I'm thinking of selling the house.

20201025_105625.thumb.jpg.3ef9199e98af8f7de6697244ac8104d8.jpg

Fucking size of that thing, it looks like a huntsman. Check if he has the correct visa documents and you may be able to get immigration officials to come and deport him back to Oz. 

8 hours ago, Snafu said:

This is a crab spider, identified by the front legs being longer than the back and their ability to move sideways. Many of these species don't build webs but wait to ambush prey, often on flowers or under leaves on bushes off the ground, they are all sizes and can be very colourful with their camouflage. Not usually found in homes they can be useful pest control as they will catch cockroaches and termites. Their fangs are quite small and its rare for them to bite and if they do it's not serious.

It's unusual for one especially this big to be out in the open like this, their instinct is to hide. Either it's got its self stuck on the rail and is trying not to fall off or probably an old one given its lack of urgency to find cover. Or maybe it's just behaving as if it's on a tree branch by staying still, thinking it's perfectly camouflaged here.

Fascinating stuff. I'd never heard of this beastie before. For the record, since posting that, I've re-measured the curtain rod and it's only 3/4", so the spider isn't as big as I was first saying. Still big enough though. Hope he's doing well.

• 2 weeks later...