Nope

forever_blue

I watched a little jumping spider demolish every ant in it's path yesterday. This thing seemed to operate at a speed which was not of this world - it's movement was imperceptible to the human eye. Rather than watch it jump from one place to the other it just seemed to disappear then instantly reappear a short distance away to dispose of another ant. 

Even though it was tiny it looked hard as f**k and was definitely the top boy of any similarly sized creature. 

Thanks P&B. Today I learned there's a type of arachnid called the Cannibal Spider  :shutup

Looking forward to taking KnightwoodBear to see the inevitable Cannibal Holocaust sequel starring these buddies...

21291808.gif

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Moomintroll
Moved to a new house in April and for the next few weeks I was putting out at least three spiders a day outside. One was a female giant house spider that made its home behind the toilet, I wish I had taken a photograph to show as it was one of the biggest spiders I've seen ever. Never caught it, it managed to escape through a hole in the wall where the pipes come through and later on I could hear it moving around in the cavity. Never saw it again.
End of summer the male house spider starts invading the house looking for females and so again back to chucking out two or three a night, often catching them running across the floor. You recognise the males as they have longer legs and what looks like two little arms with boxing gloves on the ends of them on each side of the head called palps seen here in the photo below. They are very fast, totally harmless, and don't build webs as they are constantly on the move. I've watched one methodically running from one corner of the living room to another checking every nook and cranny, underneath tables and chairs then back out into the hall.
image.thumb.png.a0b94fd8a58a89c420b470a218af4a88.png

They are very easy to catch on the ground not so up high, I keep an empty coffee jar handy to catch them. You can handle them but they are fast and could get injured so not touching them and using the coffee jar is the safest option and remove them from the house. Two days later possibly the same wee b*****d has found his way back into the house and so repeat.
That is all well & good but@KnightswoodBear

I don't know how unusual they are but I've found loads of false widows in my shed and garden. They have been in the news lately but its probably just the usual scaremongering pish.

They seem happy to just make a nest under or between anything and I had to remove a few pulsating eggsacs as i really don't want them in the house. 

Another one out the door just a few minutes ago, this one was running around my feet as I was on the laptop. Must have got in the bathroom and then climbed the stairs into the den. Must have been in a fight only seven legs, still fast.
DSC_0064.thumb.JPG.e253791073b56f7d2d7f685cef0e302f.JPG
There's the resident spider a female not that big, who's made itself at home on the pipes in the corner of the work top, haven't decided to put her out yet. Maybe I'll leave her where she is over winter and see how big she grows.
DSC_0063.thumb.JPG.a2711bd67d74a8c3b6c2a08be2ac9f11.JPG
I've never stayed in a house with so many spiders.
Burn down your house.

On 23/09/2019 at 18:08, Dee Man said:

I watched a little jumping spider demolish every ant in it's path yesterday. This thing seemed to operate at a speed which was not of this world - it's movement was imperceptible to the human eye. Rather than watch it jump from one place to the other it just seemed to disappear then instantly reappear a short distance away to dispose of another ant. 

Even though it was tiny it looked hard as f**k and was definitely the top boy of any similarly sized creature. 

When I lived in OZ as a small kid 6 to 10 year old, me and me sisters used to steal the loaf of bread and sit it in the middle of the garden and watch the mayhem that would provide. On one occasion a blue tongue lizard appeared and eat the whole loaf, we followed it to it's resting place, which was under the car port/garage. I shat myself., here's a photo of a blooie lizard.

. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2YNewPn8Vqs9TMrZhPWI

Back to recent, rainy reason is in full flow, that means bugs. Saturday evening there was a cockroach in the house, but this time it looked a little bigger than usual.  When I opened the front door and got he broom to usher  we man out, he saw the light and took off in flight......never seen that before.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR-ZsknR73hgr5NpEb-l3L

Edited by SlipperyP

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Swarley said:

Huntsman’s nest discovered inside shelter for pygmy possums

https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/animals/huntsmans-nest-discovered-inside-shelter-for-pygmy-possums/news-story/1826564a32d3e7821ca20591bc36d9c7

Merry Christmas [mention]KnightswoodBear[/mention]

Nightmare fuel.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...