Dumbarton v Alloa Athletic 27-9-2014

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That was a good game today. I expected a bit more from Alloa, frankly, because of the decent results they've had so far. Not sure if they had an off day but I'll take that result. We're now starting to put a good run of results together so long may that continue. And with know it's early doors but we're 5th!

The Alloa goal was without a doubt the pick of the goals. A thing of beauty.

We seemed to chase nearly everything today. I can't remember the last time we got so stuck in to a team and I hope this continues.

Hardest decision was MOTM. It could have been almost anyone in the team. It was fair enough that Gils got it, but any one of about six players merited the MOTM today.

Roll on next week.

Todays results now means the big five teams in the league now occupy the top five places while the five diddy teams take up their rightful place in the bottom five positions.

:lol: I fully expect to see an East Stirling fan refer to other teams as diddies one day. I think this is the record so far though, nice one.

Big game for us. The 4 points against Hibs and Rangers are great but we really need to ensure we do well against the other part-time teams in the league. Dumbarton were a team against whom we didn't do ourselves justice at all last season. I think a bit of that was down to getting games against them at a time when the confidence was flowing out of the team but we also turned in a flat performance against them earlier in the season when we were actually playing very well. Very frustrating and we can't afford to have such a poor record against them this season.

Hopefully we can take the form from the Rangers game into this one. Does the manager stick with the same team or does Buchanan come back in having done well since coming to Alloa? It would be an equally tough call to drop Tiff.

Is that six times in a row now, that Alloa haven't done themselves justice against us in the last year? We must be the luckiest team in Scotland then.

No failures at all in our ranks today. Rogers had a couple of truly excellent saves, Megginson looked much more like the player we know he can be, Agnew had possibly his best game of the season, Kirkpatrick in a more advanced role in the second half, was almost back to last season's form having misfired for much of the season, Gilhaney always hard working and unselfish deserved his MOTM, but then again, so could a number of others who I haven't even mentioned yet. If Turner and Kane are both fit for next Saturday, it will give the manager a couple of tough decisions to make.

Is that six times in a row now, that Alloa haven't done themselves justice against us in the last year? We must be the luckiest team in Scotland then.

No failures at all in our ranks today. Rogers had a couple of truly excellent saves, Megginson looked much more like the player we know he can be, Agnew had possibly his best game of the season, Kirkpatrick in a more advanced role in the second half, was almost back to last season's form having misfired for much of the season, Gilhaney always hard working and unselfish deserved his MOTM, but then again, so could a number of others who I haven't even mentioned yet. If Turner and Kane are both fit for next Saturday, it will give the manager a couple of tough decisions to make.

No one is saying it's a luck thing some teams just have a team who they don't play well against and ours happens to be Dumbarton for whatever reason but that isn't taking any credit off of you.

No, it's 13 times since 2009 :P .

Seriously, the original comment was not having a go at Dumbarton, the Sons are an excellent team. It shouldn't be too hard to understand that there is some frustration that we have managed to go 13 games without a win against a team who have been at a very similar level to us over that period. I expect now that you could field Vale of Leven Girls U12's against us and still get the 3 points.

As far as yesterday goes, I believe we actually played pretty well for a chunk of it but gifted the Sons an opening goal. Not the first time that's happened this season. We simply cannot afford to miss chances and gift goals in this league (except against Hibs, who we gifted an opener to and still beat).

Thought Archie Campbell had his best performance for Sons yesterday, an all-round team performance done the business for us though. Alloa started well and were knocking the ball around nicely, considering we were missing Turner & Kane it was great to see us get into Alloa and take our chances with aplomb.

Megginson & Kirkpatrick starting to play like they can is also a bonus, roll on next week.

We are an absolute shambles at the back! Bring in a new goalie and get shot of Gibson from what I've seen of him this season the guy is hopeless. Why is he coming charging out like a headless chicken for the first goal stay in your 6 yard box and they don't have the square pass option, 2nd goal again from a set piece do we not practice these in training? Our defence are all big guys but we can't win a ball in the air? 3rd goal everyone might aswell have been off the park apart from Gibson they just ran through us like a hot knife through butter.

Only positive for us was the Simmons goal which was a belter.

We are an absolute shambles at the back! Bring in a new goalie and get shot of Gibson from what I've seen of him this season the guy is hopeless. Why is he coming charging out like a headless chicken for the first goal stay in your 6 yard box and they don't have the square pass option, 2nd goal again from a set piece do we not practice these in training? Our defence are all big guys but we can't win a ball in the air? 3rd goal everyone might aswell have been off the park apart from Gibson they just ran through us like a hot knife through butter.

Only positive for us was the Simmons goal which was a belter.

think youre being a bit harsh on your keeper based on that performance...I would have said it was your defending that left him exposed

also didn't think you were biggest team at the back that ive seen this season.....we just don't score goals from corners....and certainly not from free headers

think youre being a bit harsh on your keeper based on that performance...I would have said it was your defending that left him exposed

also didn't think you were biggest team at the back that ive seen this season.....we just don't score goals from corners....and certainly not from free headers

Maybe I am being a bit harsh on the keeper but it's not the first time he's been caught in situations where he's unsure to come for the ball or not his decision making IMO is poor and he didn't have to come out that far for the first goal again IMO. I don't necessarily think we are a huge team but our guys at the back aren't small guys and we should be defending set pieces better than we are it's disappointing to see us losing the two goals the way we did, It's hard to tell how bad the 3rd goal was because it's not caught the start of the play on that video but we were severely out done by pace at the back which is no surprise but it's still disappointing how easily we were broke through.

Gibson wasn't at fault for any of the goals on Saturday. Blame lays totally with Kyle for the first goal for his poor clearance

Fair enough I'm only going by what I can see on the highlights which doesn't show the clearance but it doesn't look like we played well at all going by those highlights apart from the peach from Simmy.

Archived