Can you change the club you support?

Club Poll  

152 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My dad has been going to Accies for 25 years and took me along to games from the age of about 5. When I reached 14 Accies were absolutely guff so (ashamedly) I decided I wanted to watch the Jambos (everyone in my school was an OF fan so wanted to be different!)

Followed Hearts up until I finished Uni, and my Dad asked me back to a few Accies games (just as Billy was leaving and Alex was coming in - we were sitting near the bottom of the Championship). I've hardly missed a game since.

Still think I will always have love for the JT's, but my Dad (quite rightly) believes in putting money into the local team (especially considering the size of our support). Living 10 mins from the ground also helps!

I think as long as the motives are reasonable there's nothing wrong with it, but success for its own sake or gloryhunting is dodge.

When I was younger I had a sort-of affiliation to Dundee United because it was the first football kit my mum bought me when I was 3, went to a handful of Raith Rovers games because I lived in Kirkcaldy, then ditto to Pittodrie when I lived in Aberdeen.

I came to support Thistle from about 2006 onwards, partly because of my dad (who has only a passing interest in football but watched Thistle games when he grew up in Glasgow) and one of his assistants, who was an active Jags fan. It was because I was starting to get back into football at all, after a spell being more into rugby because I spent most weekends playing it through school, that I properly developed the affiliation and interest again.

As someone who has been a season ticket holder for 6 seasons now, and who takes in a handful of away games whenever I can, I don't think having loosely aligned to other clubs in my childhood, least of all bigger and better clubs than the one I now support, makes me any less of a true fan. I can't see myself switching allegiances in later life but there's nothing inherently wrong with doing so.

I think as long as the motives are reasonable there's nothing wrong with it, but success for its own sake or gloryhunting is dodge.

When I was younger I had a sort-of affiliation to Dundee United because it was the first football kit my mum bought me when I was 3, went to a handful of Raith Rovers games because I lived in Kirkcaldy, then ditto to Pittodrie when I lived in Aberdeen.

I came to support Thistle from about 2006 onwards, partly because of my dad (who has only a passing interest in football but watched Thistle games when he grew up in Glasgow) and one of his assistants, who was an active Jags fan. It was because I was starting to get back into football at all, after a spell being more into rugby because I spent most weekends playing it through school, that I properly developed the affiliation and interest again.

As someone who has been a season ticket holder for 6 seasons now, and who takes in a handful of away games whenever I can, I don't think having loosely aligned to other clubs in my childhood, least of all bigger and better clubs than the one I now support, makes me any less of a true fan. I can't see myself switching allegiances in later life but there's nothing inherently wrong with doing so.

Yes there fucking is.

I'm from Glasgow and have one of those split Rangers/Celtic families. I'd been to both Ibrox and Celtic Park various times but just couldn't get into it, felt no fondness for either team. I was a total lost cause for either side of the family in that respect. Then when I was about 13 I started to see all the shite that comes with the Old Firm and my apathy turned towards hatred. The only games I would go to see were Scotland games up until I was about 17.

One of my friends is a St Mirren supporter and I started to go to the games with him, and despite being from Glasgow, Paisley is fairly close by. I think it's the closest ground to my home after Ibrox. I've grew to love the club since then, even though I've not been supporting them for long. So maybe more of an 'adopted' fan than anything else.

Perhaps you can explain, very specifically, what is "inherently wrong" with changing the football team you support?

The bold bit makes it look like take yourself very seriously. If Union flags have a particular image in Scottish football circles, "specifically" is very tainted in P & B circles as it is the calling card of pedant twats more often than not. I hope I'm wrong and I've read too much into it.

I will never do it but I do know of a guy who changed from old Rangers to Dundee United.

Born and bred Weegie, got brought up in a strong Proddy community, was punted to the Orange Walks as a kid etc.

He attended games at a time when the sectarian element was really, really rife and hated it.

Thankfully he eventually realised it for the pile of shite it all is and switched to United for reasons that I am not sure of. He's been a diehard Arab for around 20 years now and absolutely hates Sevco :)

Yes there fucking is.

It might come across as biased but I don't see anything wrong with the exception and that is lets say a young Celtic or Rangers fan who decides that supporting one of these two is not what he or she wants, so changes support to the local team.

I've explained my situation more than once on here so I will spare the details. Changing your team because the new team are winning gives good cause to be a glory hunting w****r. However if you choose to support a local side that plays a part in helping the community you live in, there is nothing wrong with that. This is my fourth season as a ST holder at Fir Park and it looks like they will be in for a long, hard season for the Well. Obviously I want them to do well and pick up the points, but if they are in the shit, then that's football. I get my football fix every other Saturday and will continue to support the team of my adopted home regardless of the circumstances.

I don't like to harp on about supporting Well as I don't want to disrespect the ones who have supported them all their lives and I do believe there should be a certain kind of etiquette for turncoat Judas b*****ds those who express their freedom of choice like me however. I comment on games as I have paid my money though and tbh the Well fans have been pretty sound with me.

I joined Steelmen online though - jeeeez. :blink:

I wouldn't ever change from Ross County, but if I was living somewhere where a home ground was easy to get to, I would find myself going there. It wouldn't be the same, but it would do.

But what I have found is no matter how shite you think Ross County are, you just never know when your next last minute winner is coming from. There is no better feeling than a last minute winner for the team you follow.

No, you can't change. I tend to have sympathies with the club of the city I'm living in - was Coventry, now Newcastle - but I was born a Saints fan and that can never change.

If I'm at a Toon game and they score, I can celebrate (I was there for the 4-4 game vs Arsenal and we went ballistic when the equaliser went in, in fairness) - but no other team gives me that horrible knot in my stomach like St Mirren do.

Archived