Boycotts

___

Would boycotting certain services not just encourage them to take their services elsewhere? Assuming enough people took part and led them to think "sod you then", is taking business and employment out of Scotland what we really want?

I don't think for a minute people will boycott in sufficient numbers but humour me. Genuine question, would it be cutting our collective nose off to spite our face?

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would boycotting certain services not just encourage them to take their services elsewhere? Assuming enough people took part and led them to think "sod you then", is taking business and employment out of Scotland what we really want?

I don't think for a minute people will boycott in sufficient numbers but humour me. Genuine question, would it be cutting our collective nose off to spite our face?

Supermarkets will always be here - ASDA won't leave - and if they do, someone will fill their space.

RBS likewise.

I'm not big on the whole organised boycotts in this instance - I'll just show my feelings about their intervention by shopping elsewhere (in ASDA's case).

It's inward looking and pathetic. However the vast majority of people want to work together for the good of the country.

The SNP soon to be ex-leader needs to encourage that but his words today about the WM deal "cheat" don't make me of hopeful

Good point and his boycott is equally "effective" either way

As I said, I am not planning to boycott anyone, just spend less with them than I would have. You seem to be suggesting there aren't any Asdas in Edinburgh. Not sure why. I spend loads at the one at Chesser.

Supermarkets will always be here - ASDA won't leave - and if they do, someone will fill their space.

RBS likewise.

I'm not big on the whole organised boycotts in this instance - I'll just show my feelings about their intervention by shopping elsewhere (in ASDA's case).

I do believe that strategic boycotts are only really going to be effective when massive numbers take part and I agree that, certainly in this instance, it's never going to take hold.

I do boycott certain companies where I can - anything produced or affiliated with Nestlé is mostly off the table (i have to buy Felix/Purina for that cats as other brands make them ill) and I tend to avoid anything by Coca Cola where there is a choice but I realise that these companies are hugely popular, wide-reaching and often monopolistic that it's so difficult to avoid them completely and they make so much money from others they'll never miss the meagre few pounds that they aren't getting from me. I feel better knowing that I haven't contributed to their practices though.

My husband doesn't want to use Asda again and that's fine by me. As I said before, it's a horrible place to shop and I don't go there anyway so it's not a hardship but I really don't think they'll care too much!

holy jesus fucking christ almighty. are you comparing losing a fair and democratic vote with apartheid?

No, you stupid twat, I was just pointing out that boycotts sometimes work. Sheesh.

BTW: Boycott Hearts everyone- the Hibees need as much support as possible these days!

I think boycotting Asda is a bit like pishing in the wind they are a massive company and a few folk scattered around scotland won't even scratch the surface.

However something like the Daily Record for example is a viable option. Scotlands leading home based tabloid could be severely damaged especially with large cities like GLasgow and Dundee completly shunning it.

Isn't it great that the talk of working together for a better Britain which most people will adopt has been flung to the side by petulance and a lack of dignity by some of the Yes posters on there?

Yes, it's great that we won't all get back in our boxes and that you're upset that we won't just comply? I don't believe that Scotland is Better Together. You'll have to suck that up old chap.

A boycott of ASDA or whoever is fine, so long as people doing it aren't expecting ASDA or whoever to actually notice very much. If it makes you feel a bit better about their conduct during the referendum, go right ahead.

Tesco apparently sent out letters to staff urging them to vote No, though, so where you draw the line on who to boycott and who is okay must be a nightmare? Particularly deciding who to bank with...

edit: think Clydesdale were one of the few banks during 2008 to come out with any credit as they didn't indulge in packaging up mortgage debt to sell on, so they might be alright. Or a current account with a credit union, perhaps.

Isn't it great that the talk of working together for a better Britain which most people will adopt has been flung to the side by petulance and a lack of dignity by some of the Yes posters on there?

If I were to spend less at Asda and more at local shops, how is that not at least as good as the previous case. I would like to channel my distaste for the actions of companies like Asda into something positive for the local area. It's a win-win situation for me.

I don't know how true this is, but an old school pal of mine I met a few days ago said he used to work for RBS and that keeping anything less than £250 in your current account actually costs them money to maintain the account and keep it running.

Could be shite, but maybe something to look in to.

Daily Record

I, for one, out of principle alone, will not even pick one up to read again. Regardless of whether you want to starve them of cash, they have been a fucking disgrace, as has the telegraph. But I've never bought one before and most certainly will never buy one now. I don't care if you say it would make no difference, these companies have been absolute c***s, spreading lies, deception and manipulation. That is not democracy, and as such should find out what it means when you shaft your readership or viewers. I don't plan on watching any BBC news either. This has not been a democratic process. It has been a process dreamed up by big brother, telling you the news that they want you to hear 24/7. f**k that. If you don't like it fucking do something about it. If you hate what they did but go back to them it's forgiveness and carte blanche to do the same all over again as and when it or the government pleases. f**k that an aw.

Ha ha. But but but asda pizzas!

We've got hb monitoring queues now! He'll be counting folk in and out of john Lewis as well- and feverishly checking the quarterly profit margins of rbs and standard life.

I think on this forum, the term I'm looking for is - obsessed.

Archived