Boycotts

___

Our democratic right to choose to use whatever services we want. I hope every single no voter is by some twist of fate hit harder with the impending cuts than yes voters.

Yes, but you are exercising that right based on how a particular service opined on the referendum. That too me seems rather churlish.

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are there any Scottish-owned banks who did not threaten to leave? Would like to support them.

The Dunfermline Building Society

“Your society remains financially strong both in terms of capital and available liquidity. The directors believe the society will retain its strength whatever the outcome of the referendum.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/savings/11090067/What-next-for-Scotlands-last-building-society.html

Ah, the 2 Month Boycott Thread.

That said, what are the actual laws regarding folk checking your TV licence? I'm sure I saw a thread on it ages ago with folk saying "they can't do f*** all unless you invite them in" but trusting word of mouth / finger? on a football forum isn't a confidence filler. Any solid evidence?

The pathetic thing is that companies tried to influence the vote using various threats. The fact that I can choose not to use them is, as I said, cathartic.

Why should they not have made statements on what they thought ?

Would companies saying independence would be good for them have been wrong to do so ?

Ah, the 2 Month Boycott Thread.

That said, what are the actual laws regarding folk checking your TV licence? I'm sure I saw a thread on it ages ago with folk saying "they can't do f*** all unless you invite them in" but trusting word of mouth / finger? on a football forum isn't a confidence filler. Any solid evidence?

Type in BBC license goons to youtube and you'll see.

Would companies saying independence would be good for them have been wrong to do so ?

They are entitled to say what they like just as I am entitled to choose whether to use them or not.

I think in the case of RBS whether they thought it was right or not was irrelevant. They were told to say it and became a mouthpiece for the UK government. The fact that they were given promenance was clearly orchestrated so that could then opine 'Oh no a company that has been registered in Scotland would have to leave after so many years'. It was pathetic.

Absolutely but my guess is that you would stop using them cause you either think they lied or were opposing your view ?

In the case of Asda I think they tried to influence the outcome. Other supermarkets chose not to go down that route. My choice is now to stop using Asda.

I think in the case of RBS whether they thought it was right or not was irrelevant. They were told to say it and became a mouthpiece for the UK government. The fact that they were given promenance was clearly orchestrated so that could then opine 'Oh no a company that has been registered in Scotland would have to leave after so many years'. It was pathetic.

It was a bit weird that the Treasury leaked it to the BBC before RBS had even had the Board meeting to decide it.* And of course Cameron's meeting with the supermarket bosses just before their warnings of price rises should we vote Yes. John Lewis was the most disappointing, thought they were a workers co-op or something like it. And conversely having the evil Tesco saying that BT were talking shite.

*Forgot about RBS being mainly owned by the Government..

Do you remember the 1997 referendum?

There were man y companies came out and predicted doom then too. They lied - for political reasons.

f**k them.

Edited to ask - did you vote in that referendum? I've met two folk on here that would get rid of the parliament even today...

Do you remember the 1997 referendum?

There were man y companies came out and predicted doom then too. They lied - for political reasons.

f**k them.

Edited to ask - did you vote in that referendum? I've met two folk on here that would get rid of the parliament even today...

Yes I remember it and yes I voted

I just did my weekly shop at ASDA and have recently opened an RBS account. Neither decision was directly or indirectly linked to the vote right enough.

I am doing it wrong yes warriors?

Except you haven't really done either of those things. Nice try though, champ.

Archived