Lack of a definitive plan b for the currency

MarkoRaj

Again like a CU the EU membership is being treated like some kind of tick box - yes or no.

What the yes camp ignored was the detail, the conditions, the agreements, the responsibilities and even the costs.

How could they know the details when neither London nor the EU would negotiate before the referendum?

This IMO was a big thing and the lack of clarity was what put a lot of people off.

To me it was as simple as him saying if there was no currency union would he have then favoured using the pound unilaterally, adopting the euro or having our own currency. Which ever of these three it was would then have been pretty much what we would have got in the event there was no currency union. The public would then have been able to form a view on whether they liked that option or not. He had the ability to narrow it down to two options but left us wondering about four.

I'm not disputing bad tactics - but I don't think that registered with the electorate. I'm simply stating that the UK Government could have settled the entire issue easily, but chose not to. Only possible reason can be that they thought it might damage them. But by refusing to settle the issue they did a disservice to voters too

This was the line used in the campaign, but it really had nothing to back it up. What we're talking about here is fundamentally uncertain and nobody could have answered it in concrete terms, far less easily. The only way Scotland's EU membership could have been decided was with the unanimous consent of all 28 EU governments. The Commission can't second guess what governments would have decided. Some of the governments who would have made that call (presumably in some negotiation over the next year) hadn't even been elected yet - e.g. Sweden held an election a week before our referendum.

To imply the entire thing could be settled easily by Westminster simply requesting some information was always wide of the mark.

To imply the entire thing could be settled easily by Westminster simply requesting some information was always wide of the mark.

Fair enough Gordon - I was under the impression that the EU would have investigated the membership situation if requested by a member state.

Archived