A positive for Yes voters

Ross.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another bit from Ascroft's poll, apparently they interviewed 2000 people after they voted. Looks like if no voters can be reassured about the economy they could be turned around:

post-30062-0-28328100-1411126986_thumb.j

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Referendum-day-poll-summary-140919.pdf

Well,for every factory that shuts I can now say "But we're better together"

For every statistic of low life expectancy amongst the poor of Glasgow I now can say "But we're better together"

For every low wage statistic that comes out I can now say "but we're better together"

For every Labour candidate that comes to the door at the next election I shall say "I'm voting Tory - I thought we were better together so what are you moaning about?"

and for every no voting fecker in the office that moans about the next non-existent pay rise I can say "but we're better together".

Bx5C_YgIUAAcbLU.jpg

Since the start of the referendum campaign I never expected yes to win and to get 45% support for independence in the end merely shows that this issue is not going to go away. Indeed, a clear majority of voters aged 16-54 actually voted for it, with only those aged 55 and over very strongly opposed. Those older voters - particularly those over 60 - are now the last surviving members of society born into a declining imperialist Britain.

I simply don't buy the "Westminster will never allow another referendum" rhetoric. If another SNP majority government is formed at Holyrood in 15-25 years time, then independence becomes more than probable.

The re-establishment of the Parliament in Edinburgh was always going to be the start of a long journey towards Scottish independence. Devolution wasn't achieved first time around either and once today's older generation passes on we will enter into a new era. An era where Scotland should be leading the world in things like renewable energy sources, rather than finite energy sources.

I remain positive for Scotland's long-term future.

Another bit from Ascroft's poll, apparently they interviewed 2000 people after they voted. Looks like if no voters can be reassured about the economy they could be turned around:

attachicon.gifaschroft.JPG

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Referendum-day-poll-summary-140919.pdf

In all the debates I went to EU and currency were the biggest problems people had with voting Yes. And that's been going on for the last 10 months at least.

This next generation stuff is a near certainty for Yes but anotger vote in 5-6 ears isnt impossible.

Scenario I see, a major.move to the right at the next general election UK wide, leaving the SNP in an easy position to style themselves as the only party in Scotland who can negotiate max powers from down south.

SNP do nothing at the general election, win by a landslide at the next Scottish elections, right wing government in Westminister get their EU referendum and win, giving the SNP a mandate for indy vote 2.

5-6 years of more cuts and carrot of staying in a recovering EU and bobs yer uncle.

Looking at the statistics on voting intention by age group, you're only 1 cold winter from getting another referendum.

Probably wont be long until the Westminster austerity cuts fall on the oap winter heating payment, hopefully coupled with councils not gritting the pavements and the coffin dodgers will soon be gone. :)

In all the debates I went to EU and currency were the biggest problems people had with voting Yes. And that's been going on for the last 10 months at least.

The fact that Yes got 45% and had earlier been on the brink of winning even after the electorate was told there was no automatic EU entry and they could forget about a currency union, shows that it would have been a skoosh for the Yes side to win if the UK had fully embraced the euro and entered Schengen. The UK limps on through force of habit but the unifying sense of identity and imperial mission that used to hold it tightly together has gone and if geopolitical circumstances were to change to make the economic case for separation stronger in the years ahead, it will soon be game over.

YES certainly ran the far better campaign, and they got a bigger share of the vote than I expected.

Our campaign was largely complacent rubbish, followed by a panicked last couple of weeks when the polls narrowed.

Archived