What Happens Now?

Scary Bear

Well, what happens now?

45% want independence, 55% don't. No idea how many of the No vote would have voted for Devo Max as it wasn't on the ballot paper. My preferred option would have been a federal system, but as only the Lib Dems are proposing this, it's unlikely.

Thoughts?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I don't think a great deal will change - perhaps enough rearranging deckchairs to convince the suggestible.

The result is hugely saddening, but I think back only a couple of months when I hoped we'd get over 40% to avoid total humiliation.

I hope we change our 'national' anthem; but not until I get to see 60,000 No voters choke on its words at Murrayfield.

This is just getting worse now.

Lord Smith of Kelvin seems to be the top guy when it comes to deciding/chairing/consulting 'extra powers'. Some guy from the House of Lords, ffs.

FFS, Scotland! We had it all in our hands, and we appear to have handed over to this priviliged, rich Lord to decide for us.

Also, they've now had a first independence referendum. A precedent has been set. It can happen again. Might get a different result next time, when the older generation passes away. I suppose we might not, depends what happens in the interim.

Personally, I would like them to work towards a federal system. The main way you'll convince more people to vote Yes is by showing them you can manage the economy effectively.

I would also like to see the SNP getting to grips with land reform, as Labour did in the early days of the Scottish Parliament. This is an untapped revenue scheme.

Well, what happens now?

45% want independence, 55% don't. No idea how many of the No vote would have voted for Devo Max as it wasn't on the ballot paper. My preferred option would have been a federal system, but as only the Lib Dems are proposing this, it's unlikely.

Thoughts?

Partition

I think that WM will know that if they don't get it right it will only be a matter of time before the process is forced again. Next time, if they didn't get it right you'll be off.

The only caveat I'd put on that is I cannot see that happening for 20 or 30 years. As such, if some of the oil projections are to be believed that aspect of rationale for change i.e. we are loaded, might be gone.

I think that WM will know that if they don't get it right it will only be a matter of time before the process is forced again. Next time, if they didn't get it right you'll be off.

The only caveat I'd put on that is I cannot see that happening for 20 or 30 years. As such, if some of the oil projections are to be believed that aspect of rationale for change i.e. we are loaded, might be gone.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sir Ian Wood's predictions of doom don't come to pass. I've only got to wait 16 years to find out. 2030 was a key date.

It wouldn't surprise me if Sir Ian Wood's predictions of doom don't come to pass. I've only got to wait 16 years to find out. 2030 was a key date.

Aye.

"Oh it hasn't run out? Another 50 years left you say?"

But on the upside, George Galloway says he'll be dead and gone by 2030, so that's a bonus.

We take on the role of England's annoying brother We annoy Westminster until it gives us the powers they promised - the pro union parties will shit themselves cause if they do deliver there will be a huge English backlash if they don't then they are dead in Scotland. This means that Labour will never win a general election as it needs scottish MPs - it's going to be very interesting and I'll be watching them like a hawk

There's still a massive opportunity for change here. Here in Liverpool we have been getting shafted by WM since we dared put our fingers up at Thatcher and co. The geordies aren't far behind. Yorkshire was kicking off last week and Clegg was promising them a federal approach to politics in the near future.

The ball is still in play, it's just a matter if people can be arsed.

What I find frustrating is the number of no voters who seem to want the benefits of this campaign i.e voter engagement, high turn outs, additional powers etc but don't seem to realise they got that BECAUSE if the campaign and voting no has put it straight back to what it was before.

Archived