Alex Salmond

It bothers me when people say this. He has Scotlands best interests at heart and has only ever wanted to give us the powers we deserve. The man is a wonderful politician that Scotland should be proud of. Maybe one day you'll realise that.

According to the majority of Scottish people, he clearly doesn't have the countries best interests at heart. I acknowledge he's a good politician but I will never acknowledge his policies

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well done you, although it was a pain in the backside that everytime someone put a Facebook post up that was in anyway related to the referendum there would be at least 4 replies that were guaranteed to be from you! :lol: As you say though, very good to see the interest in it from the younger generation

Can't say I never tried!!! :lol:

nd jst started saying stupid things like the english cnt stop us using the pound, even though they obviously could b/c they control the interest rates...derp.

it doesn't technically stop us using it,

The crux of the matter.

derp.
derp.
derp.

How many times in your 22 posts since you joined the forum at 10.28 this morning have you said this?

Or was it one of your other alias's?

Tbf I did use it but I was quoting Graham's Hierarchy of Disagreement while the poster was quoting me because he's stupid enough to believe I'm innovative.

Self-deprecation can be used to insult sometimes

together weith england we british became the most influential nation on earth and lead the way for modern western society. on its own scotland is nothing, jst a pointless isolated state on the fringes of northern europe which wud struggle economically and politically.

Dear God in heaven still this imperialistic crap. Still giving it Rule Britannia. Total dinosaur.

Dear God in heaven still this imperialistic crap. Still giving it Rule Britannia. Total dinosaur.

what people don't understand is that the imperailist age bound scotland nd england way more than jst cos we took colonies etc. all of our modern political ideas wer forgd in that period. the age of enlightnment and all that when we escaped feudalism and finally began to look at the world more rationally. This is why England nd Scotland hav extremely similar political cultures cos together we pioneered 'liberalism'. adam smith is an obvious example of this.

Our shared history is much more relevent to our current cultural understandings than our separate histories. this isn't about rule britannia and all that nationalistic crap, its about our political and social understandings in the modern era. they were all shaped together and in union with England, not apart from it. All of the thing we take for granted like democracy and protection of private property and 'liberty' and all of the things that we want to try and uphold were fought for when in union with England. This is what gives us a british identity cos our forefather fought for those things together. we r virtually culturally the same as the english excepting our accents and the fact that more of them vote conservative. nd yes voters think that if we had our own independent country tht all the probs we have with westminster wudnt just repeat themselves with whatever new thing wud be made? i doubt it. only difference is tht we'd be more fucked financially.

Id you'd rather identify with the history when englnd nd scot were apart then your just identifying with a bunch of feudal lords like wallace who we have way less in common with today than the english of the enlightenment.

He would have known his time was up as soon as he won that majority in 2011.

That majority forced him into a fight he will have known he could never win.

In many ways, he's a victim of his own success.

what people don't understand is that the imperailist age bound scotland nd england way more than jst cos we took colonies etc. all of our modern political ideas wer forgd in that period. the age of enlightnment and all that when we escaped feudalism and finally began to look at the world more rationally. This is why England nd Scotland hav extremely similar political cultures cos together we pioneered 'liberalism'. adam smith is an obvious example of this.

Our shared history is much more relevent to our current cultural understandings than our separate histories. this isn't about rule britannia and all that nationalistic crap, its about our political and social understandings in the modern era. they were all shaped together and in union with England, not apart from it. All of the thing we take for granted like democracy and protection of private property and 'liberty' and all of the things that we want to try and uphold were fought for when in union with England. This is what gives us a british identity cos our forefather fought for those things together. we r virtually culturally the same as the english excepting our accents and the fact that more of them vote conservative. nd yes voters think that if we had our own independent country tht all the probs we have with westminster wudnt just repeat themselves with whatever new thing wud be made? i doubt it. only difference is tht we'd be more fucked financially.

Id you'd rather identify with the history when englnd nd scot were apart then your just identifying with a bunch of feudal lords like wallace who we have way less in common with today than the english of the enlightenment.

Great post. The modern era has seen a move towards a more inclusive union of the European countries to stave off the cycle of war. The Schuman Declaration had an eye upon the success of our union here in the UK.

History should teach of the inherent dangers of nationalism.

Archived