Up all night thread

1320Lichtie

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? The Yes party had a party planned in George Square which they embarrasingly had to cancel at dawn.

How dare No celebrate their win.

The No campaign is supposed to react to their win in a non-celebratory way, to respect the feelings of the Yes voters who feel bad.

As of course would have been the case in reverse had Yes won.

And this is why I'm not to disheartened by the result, This Vow, crap cannot and will not be delivered, which will lead to the death of Labour at the next Scottish election, and a greater win for the SNP, and I wouldn't be suprised if their was another referendum in a few years.

I think what the Tory MP is getting at is that Scotland, Wales & Northern Ireland have exclusively localised Parliament/Assemblies (albeit currently with limited powers - which will hopefully be extended) but England don't i.e: Scots, Welsh, NI MP get to vote on English matters........which I can kind of see his point.

I'd like to see more localised powers for each to help engage the local electorate more easily......and with the close result and high turnout I can see it gradually happening.

So what are they celebrating ?

Lies and Fear winning ?

Boris

Farage

English Parliament

More devolution for Wales and NI

The House of Lords

NHS workers are on strike soon in England

Seriously, what are they celebrating ? Being able to say they are British ? Thats all I can see.

We are no longer a nation. Just a region.

This. The celebrations are a bit embarrassing

I think BTUKOK having a party is JUST the right thing to do.

Celebrating greed over hope and the continuation of austerity, foodbanks and the marginalistion of the poor is just the thing to make me want to partaaaay!

And this is why I'm not to disheartened by the result, This Vow, crap cannot and will not be delivered, which will lead to the death of Labour at the next Scottish election, and a greater win for the SNP, and I wouldn't be suprised if their was another referendum in a few years.

Which would be a travesty for democracy

I agree with the sentiment but we can't do this again for another 15 years at least I think, either that or pray for a few harsh winters to "freshen up" the electorate (smiley face,).

Hopefully we get the powers promised (whatever they were) and we get a more federal UK but if not the next vote will definitely be Yes.

Without doubt this was our best ever chance, I have no evidence but suspect we might have won if we proposed a Scottish Republic with our own currency from the outset two years ago, and then set out the case for that from day one.

I'm not angry either.

I'm just.......stunned. Emotionless, really. I don't know what to think or what to say. My mother is absolutely devastated. My dad will be the same when I speak to him in a few hours.

My downstairs neighbour is nearing her 70s. She's been waiting all her life for this vote and it's just all gone to shit in the space of a few hours.

I was going to go down the "ashamed to be Scottish" route if we lost but to be honest I'm not in the mood for it. I'm Scottish and always will be and, at the end of the day, over 1.5 million of our fellow citizens saw through the bullshit and went for it. They don't deserve to be labelled in a negative way.

We can't do a Quebec and just let the appetite die away. We need to fill up that fucking shithouse with as many SNP MPs as possible, so that we can't be ignored.

So the 2 million were wrong or just happened to have an opposing view from you?

Grow up.

It's important to vote SNP in all elections. Let's send them 59 SNP members to Westminster. See how they like them apples :)

It really doesn't make much of a difference if the SNP won every seat in Scotland, as only 59 MPs is not enough to really make a difference or influence policy

:lol:

Yes, the celebrations if it had been a yes would have been quite subdued

You surely understand the difference between celebrating a new beginning and celebrating the status quo?

Celebrating a birthday and celebrating business as usual?

No Thanks won, the campaigners should celebrate their achievement, not the man on the street who voted for nothing to happen.

It really doesn't make much of a difference if the SNP won every seat in Scotland, as only 59 MPs is not enough to really make a difference or influence policy

I completely agree with this, I understand the original point but the SNP will never be able to influence change at WM.

Once the West Lothian argument is resolved whoever we elect to represent our constituencies at WM will be voiceless in devolved matters anyway.

I'll be bitterly voting Tory or not at all to so what I can to keep Labour out of power.

SNP at Holyrood though.

Why is that?

No voters did so because they wish to remain as part of the UK. That has been realised.

They were supposed to happily embrace this "new beginning" had Yes won and say "aye, well played lads" whereas them getting what they wanted should be treated with a funereal silence and no celebrations at all.

No won. They are perfectly entitled to celebrate that and a lot of people are hugely relieved that this is the case.

Archived