Pyramid Schemes

Six women have been jailed today for a pyramid scheme that conned 10,000 members of the public into parting with around £3,000 each, with the promise of quickly and legally converting the money into £20k. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29250910

While I have every sympathy for people, especially older folk, falling victim to confidence trickers and the like, I have little sympathy for the 10,000 (TEN THOUSAND) people who fell for this. As the saying goes, you can't con an honest man.

Have any of our P+Bers invested in a pyramid scheme / been a fucking imbecile?

Six women have been jailed today for a pyramid scheme that conned 10,000 members of the public into parting with around £3,000 each, with the promise of quickly and legally converting the money into £20k. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-29250910
While I have every sympathy for people, especially older folk, falling victim to confidence trickers and the like, I have little sympathy for the 10,000 (TEN THOUSAND) people who fell for this. As the saying goes, you can't con an honest man.
Have any of our P+Bers invested in a pyramid scheme / been a fucking imbecile?

'No' voters? :P

We had a group of folk try and start one at work many many moons ago, I'd never heard of one before but kinda cottoned on to the maths of it fairly quickly - it wasn't the organisers that got annoyed with me though it was the folk that thought it was a brilliant idea !!

I genuinely believe that the organisers back then thought that it was a fail safe way for everyone to make money !!

Multi-level marketing is similar but legal. It involves you signing up to sell some product (e.g. juice or skincare products). Although you earn money by selling the product (and part of the sale goes to the person who introduced you into the scheme), you only really make money by recruiting new members - you then get a percentage of their earnings - and of course, they are encouraged to sign up more people etc etc.

A complete stranger tried to sign me up for one once, can't honestly remember the product (and the product doesn't really matter anyway). I tried to explain the mathematics of why it was never going to work but failed miserably.

Isn't Sevco a pyramid scheme making gangsters rich?

No. A pyramid scheme is where an endless stream of gullible people "invest" in something which returns little or nothing on their investment, whilst the instigators of the scheme make a great deal of money for very little effort.
Oh wait... :D

I had an ex workmate/friend who got heavily one of these schemes (a multi level marketing one) 20 years ago. It changed him from a confident chap into an ego maniac. He used to constantly listen to the motivational cassettes in his car and said he would be able to stop work in 5 years. Needless to say he is still working.

Some of the pish he would spout was verging on madness.

I completely lost respect for him during the last year or so he still worked here. It's a shame really as he was a nice bloke.

Edit for fat fingers

Not a pyramid scheme as such but as one who is fairly scunnered at the thought of spending 100 billion of taxpayers' money on Trident I thought it would be an interesting idea for a Mark Thomas style stunt to start a crowd funding scheme for a nuclear submarine and see how much money I actually raise...

A girl I knew at uni got involved with one and was really excited about it, explaining how she could make a fortune.

I asked her why she didn't start her own if it was so good so she'd be top of the pyramid and not have to pay a penny to someone else.

The daft bint couldn't answer but still joined and tried to encourage anyone else to do so.

Archived