spartans

happy gilmore

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What price are normal League games? Might be able to make the Preston game next week.

£5/£3 or if you can look under 12 then you'll be in free :lol:

I'm away to Manc next Saturday so unfortunately will miss the Preston game, but will be back for the Ed City game the following week, I think it's an early ko that one though.

Grimbo

£5/£3 or if you can look under 12 then you'll be in free :lol:

I'm away to Manc next Saturday so unfortunately will miss the Preston game, but will be back for the Ed City game the following week, I think it's an early ko that one though.

Grimbo

How much are spartans season tickets?

£50 for the full season that includes the EoS, the Womens & the U20's teams fixtures too. cannae beat it eh.

Grimbo

Great price Grim. Guess there's a concession one, saw u12s are free. Been spartans 3 times now, decent setup & was great upset tbh.

Don't expect Berwick or Albion would have wanted this draw.

Having seen Albion win at Stirling Uni. earlier I rather hope they get through to play Spartans.

I will tip Spartans to win at home though whichever one they play.

Good Luck Spartans.

I don't think any of the clubs will be happy with this draw. Yes Spartans could go through and be the first non-league team into the quarters since whenever?? (HJ help needed on this one). However they could also be eliminated by another "miss hit cross" and nobody will remember the game in years to come even though it was in the last sixteen of the cup.

The pay day for all the clubs will also be hit. Berwick or Rovers will not bring a huge following with them as perhaps an SPFL premier club would have brought.

However Spartans have a very good chance to make another bit of history and I wish them all the best.

I don't think any of the clubs will be happy with this draw. Yes Spartans could go through and be the first non-league team into the quarters since whenever?? (HJ help needed on this one). However they could also be eliminated by another "miss hit cross" and nobody will remember the game in years to come even though it was in the last sixteen of the cup.

The pay day for all the clubs will also be hit. Berwick or Rovers will not bring a huge following with them as perhaps an SPFL premier club would have brought.

However Spartans have a very good chance to make another bit of history and I wish them all the best.

I think the players would be very happy at this draw. Gives them a good opportunity to get to the quarters. Some may have wanted Celtic etc but this is the next best possible draw.

The people looking at finances may have preferred someone else but I reckon spartans can win this one and get a real bumper game next round .

Grimbo can get himself about,hope you weren't supposed to be at work today cos you might get the bullet after popping up on BBC and STV,would have been nice to get a biggy in next round but got to have a chance of going through at home agst Berwick or Albion Rovers,you'll have all the Hoskins to look forward to if Berwick get through,lol,all the best to the Spartans.

Grimbo can get himself about,hope you weren't supposed to be at work today cos you might get the bullet after popping up on BBC and STV,would have been nice to get a biggy in next round but got to have a chance of going through at home agst Berwick or Albion Rovers,you'll have all the Hoskins to look forward to if Berwick get through,lol,all the best to the Spartans.

Erm I must have a double, make mine a brandy. I fancy a change of job anyway. ;)

Grimbo

Elgin City reached the quarter finals in 1968 and Eyemouth United reached the quarters also in 1959-60, losing narrowly 1-2 home to that year's runner up Kilmarnock.

Now for the spooky coincidence - on both occasions, they put out Albion Rovers during their cup run...

Beyond this, I could only find Armadale in 1919-20 (a year before their election to the SFL anyway) and Stevenston United in 1913-14, taking Third Lanark to three replays before going out. What made the latter even more remarkable was they were taking part in the Scottish Cup for the first time. Their Warner Park ground had to be hastily reconstructed to take in 16 000 spectators (a jump in 15 500 from their usual gate). Beith also did so as a non-league senior in 1904-05.

(Junior fans may care to note that both Arthurlie and the pre-united Bo'ness reached the Scottish Cup quarters in 1927, both however were SFL sides back then)

If you want the record for a former league club turned non-league in the cup, that still stands with former winners Renton reaching the quarters in 1906-07, putting out that year's league runners up Dundee on the way.

[That's should give you enough boring factoids for that game's programme, Grim!]

At the position Spartans are in, the old "draw a big club to get a big gate" school of accountancy becomes redundant. Every round you survive, you've another slice of prize money to look forward to, and now the £10 000 mark has been passed by reaching the fifth the incentives to stay in are bigger - at least for small clubs with lower overheards.

Moreover, as the numbers drop, the greater the chance of television coverage, which is where the real money lies. Yes, a big team draw would help there, but simply by reaching the quarters Spartans would increase the chances of that anyway and be assured more lengthy TV coverage than merely just the goals and near misses.

Spartans chairman may be feigning disappointment, but on the quiet he's probably having palpitations at the realistic chance of reaching the quarters - and all the lustre it would bring the club for years to come as more than mere occasional "giant killers"- now being within their grasp.

Archived