spartans

happy gilmore

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Name the 1st team regulars who has came through the ranks at spartans. Answers on a postcard

Spartans as a youth set up are actually quite young. I think they took over inverleith not that long ago. As grim says though they have put the academy together to provide first team players for other sides ;-)

Not sure what other teams in LL have a conveyor belt of consistent talent- but at least there's the feeling that they get first team opportunities there. Spartans first team policy seems to be to bring in players from elsewhere rather than blood players ( one or two one off appearances excepted).

Be interesting to see if there are at changes tomorrow as I see from twitter that The gaffer says he's mixing it up a bit.

To be honest it's none of yous lots business which team Sammy puts out against any other team that are playing us. We have our LL team squad, our EoS squad & our U20's which we can choose from. We tend to use our LL squad mainly of course but have used players from the other squads too.

Surely, I know your local team is Scotland but if your team was playing a big match against another local team, let's call them England for instance & if your manager put out a team of kids rather than his 1st team squad would you be praising him for that? Was it not Big Al who said you can't win anything with kids eh?

Course you wouldn't (unless they won).

Stop the digging & look at the bigger picture. I'll keep you updated with all the latest squad info & if it's from our wee pond or the bigger one don't worry your wee cotton socks about it.

Grimbo

To be honest it's none of yous lots business which team Sammy puts out against any other team that are playing us. We have our LL team squad, our EoS squad & our U20's which we can choose from. We tend to use our LL squad mainly of course but have used players from the other squads too.

Surely, I know your local team is Scotland but if your team was playing a big match against another local team, let's call them England for instance & if your manager put out a team of kids rather than his 1st team squad would you be praising him for that? Was it not Big Al who said you can't win anything with kids eh?

Course you wouldn't (unless they won).

Stop the digging & look at the bigger picture. I'll keep you updated with all the latest squad info & if it's from our wee pond or the bigger one don't worry your wee cotton socks about it.

Grimbo

Your own website states there'll be some rotation within the squad- I merely said I wondered what he'd do. But then you've obviously missed a few things spartans related today- what with the 20s playing uni not city too.

As for Scotland- not sure I'd be happy with the kids playing v England but id be very disappointed if the tartan spartan didn't bring through players from the 21s for extended runs in the team and this is what open mind alluded to.

Having worked at the club, the Academy has nothing to with player development. The academy is the charity concerned with helping the community. The youth section are those tasked with player development. The club's hope (not task as someone put it) is by 2025 to have 50% of the first team having come through the ranks, not 2 from every age group. If you had 2 players from each age group in the 1st team then by 2025 the whole first team would be made up of players born 1995-2005. Seems very unrealistic?

Having worked at the club, the Academy has nothing to with player development. The academy is the charity concerned with helping the community. The youth section are those tasked with player development. The club's hope (not task as someone put it) is by 2025 to have 50% of the first team having come through the ranks, not 2 from every age group. If you had 2 players from each age group in the 1st team then by 2025 the whole first team would be made up of players born 1995-2005. Seems very unrealistic?

Spot on. My day job makes me well aware of the social enterprise work branch of the spartans academy- so I know the differences between the academy and the youth section it's just easier on here to call the young teams 'the academy' due to the place they train.

I like the fact that they've set a target and would like to see more teams do the same as the game would benefit greatly. My only real issue was whether or not the manager in charge ( assuming it's not Douglas in 2025!) would play them or continue to buy players from others.

Hoping the Spartans director who I met after the Morton game reads P&B. After having to deal with a lot of angry Morton fans at full time, I got talking to him and asked if I could buy a pin badge, as I try to do when I visit a new ground. As they'd ran out he gave me a coaster, took my address to send one and refused to take payment off me as I'd calmed a couple of mates down and made his life easier.

Didn't expect to see the pin badge, but it arrived through the door today. Good to see someone going the extra mile for someone who doesn't even support the club. Well done and best of luck in the next round.

What were the Morton fans giving him a hard time for?

Nobody was giving him a hard time as such, a lot of folk weren't exactly seeing eye to eye with each other at the time and the guy was doing his best to keep order- he did a far better job than the stewards that day incidentally.

Archived