An open letter from Alex Salmond

Confidemus

I'd like to dedicate this to Banterous:

An open letter from Alex Salmond to Scottish voters
alex_salmond_official_portrait_close_up.

Please find below a letter to voters from First Minister Alex Salmond.

"In these final hours of this historic campaign I want to speak directly to every person in this country who is weighing up the arguments they have heard.

I have no doubt people in Scotland will look past the increasingly desperate and absurd scare stories being generated daily from Downing Street.

Those have no place in a sensible debate.

So in these last days of the greatest campaign Scotland has ever seen, I want to ask you to take a step back from the arguments of politicians and the blizzard of statistics.

For every expert on one side, there is an expert on the other.

For every scare tactic, there is a message of hope, opportunity and possibility.

The opportunity for our Parliament to gain real job creating powers, the ability to protect our treasured National Health Service and the building of a renewed relationship of respect and equality with our friends and neighbours in the rest of these Islands.

But for all that, the talking is nearly done.

The campaigns will have had their say.

What's left is just us - the people who live and work here.

The only people with a vote. The people who matter.

The people who for a few precious hours during polling day hold sovereignty, power, authority in their hands.

It's the greatest most empowering moment any of us will ever have.

Scotland’s future - our country in our hands.

What to do? Only each of us knows that.

For my part, I ask only this.

Make this decision with a clear head and a clear conscience.

Know that by voting ‘Yes’, what we take into our hands is a responsibility like no other- the responsibility to work together to make Scotland the nation it can be

That will require maturity, wisdom, engagement and energy- and it will come not from the usual sources of parties and politicians but from you -the people who have

transformed this moment from another political debate into a wonderful celebration of people power.

Does every Country make mistakes? Yes.

Are there challenges for Scotland to overcome? Undoubtedly.

But my question is this - who better to meet those challenges on behalf of our nation than us?

We must trust ourselves.

Trust each other.

An estimated 90% of the resident English in Scotland will vote no. That means that in the event of a small margin of less than 8%, they will determine the outcome of this referendum. How is that democratic or equitable? Based on recent polls the Scottish people are voting YES, it’s only the English resident in Scotland who are being joined by a minority of Scottish sympathisers that may win the day for NO. I am voting YES tomorrow in line with the sovereign will of the SCOTTISH people. I hope you do too.

Note: Ironically, the undemocratic political influence that England has over Scotland could be the very same influence that returns a no vote - how sad that would be - Vote Yes

Know that by voting ‘Yes’, what we take into our hands is a responsibility like no other- the responsibility to work together to make Scotland the nation it can be

That will require maturity, wisdom, engagement and energy- and it will come not from the usual sources of parties and politicians but from you -the people who have

transformed this moment from another political debate into a wonderful celebration of people power.

Brilliant!

Does that mean there will be no parties or politicians in the event of a Yes vote?

That might actually make me vote Yes :)

An estimated 90% of the resident English in Scotland will vote no. That means that in the event of a small margin of less than 8%, they will determine the outcome of this referendum. How is that democratic or equitable?

It's democratic because democracy involves counting the votes of all eligible voters.

It's equitable because it's treating everyone's vote equally, rather than discriminating on the basis of nationality.

An estimated 90% of the resident English in Scotland will vote no. That means that in the event of a small margin of less than 8%, they will determine the outcome of this referendum. How is that democratic or equitable? Based on recent polls the Scottish people are voting YES, it’s only the English resident in Scotland who are being joined by a minority of Scottish sympathisers that may win the day for NO. I am voting YES tomorrow in line with the sovereign will of the SCOTTISH people. I hope you do too.

Note: Ironically, the undemocratic political influence that England has over Scotland could be the very same influence that returns a no vote - how sad that would be - Vote Yes

I think if that's the case then we should bus all the English out of the country by noon.

An estimated 90% of the resident English in Scotland will vote no. That means that in the event of a small margin of less than 8%, they will determine the outcome of this referendum. How is that democratic or equitable? Based on recent polls the Scottish people are voting YES, its only the English resident in Scotland who are being joined by a minority of Scottish sympathisers that may win the day for NO. I am voting YES tomorrow in line with the sovereign will of the SCOTTISH people. I hope you do too.

Yeah, the immigrants shouldn't be allowed to vote at all.

It's democratic because they live here and therefore have as much right to decide the future of the country as anyone else in Scotland, regardless of how long they've resided here.

[/quote

f**k right off you absolute w**k!!! EVERYONE in the country has their right to vote!! English scottish Polish Indian etc etc... You are taking that on ONE non scottish group of people. Look at all the other minorities who are in the country as will be voting yes.. Take then out of the equation to get your true figures you absolute bell end!!!

]

Archived