Jack Harper

jamiefitz

On 11/08/2019 at 17:25, Marshmallo said:

I think we can safely categorise this wee chump playing in front of a smaller average crowd than Falkirk as being not worth keeping an eye on.

He's playing at a level very similar to the English Championship, better than the Scottish Premiership and miles better than the level Falkirk are at.  He is still worth keeping an eye on.

Got an assist 

I know it's not worth keeping an eye on him or whoever else isn't playing at a high level.

But it's literally a couple of minutes out my day once a week

I don't see why it's such a bad thing. It's not like I'm watching him or gauld in the belief that they're going to win us the world cup. It's just interesting to follow someone's career when they follow an unusual path.

Don't know why I'm justifying myself to crowdwanking Falkirk cretins but there you go. Happy Sunday

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Also lol this is great

Undefeated and undisputed

Oh my. So Bates has been injured at Sheffield Weds for a few months and this somehow means he's a dud?

https://www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/cardiff-city/preview/preview-cardiff-vs-sheffield-wednesday-prediction-team-news-lineups_375166.html

"David Bates will also have to wait for his league debut under Monk as he continues to nurse a groin problem that has kept him sidelined for most of the season"

Silly billy.

2 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Your one man crusade against any foreign based players is every bit as tragic as the people who think abroad = good.

And the fact he's blind to the irony is very, very amusing.

• 4 months later...
Any word on how Harper is doing? Would he be a good shout for the playoffs this month? I appreciate there's only about 700 folk watching his games week to week so might be difficult to offer an opinion.

Hasn't played since November. I presume a bad injury but why wouldn't he just return to Getafe if that's the case? Maybe he has, there's very little info.

Will have a look on YouTube at the last game he played (was subbed off late, so presumably that was when he got injured)

Edit: Someone asked him on twitter and he said he was injured.

I am quite sad really and keep a close eye on virtually all young Scottish players.  I think Harper still has more of a chance than people think.

He was a first choice at Alcorcon at the start of the season, played about 13 games and got one assist. Was getting reasonable reviews.

His club Getafe are an outstanding side that are having the best time in their short history right now. Last season were 4th most of the season, looked nailed on to claim the last CL spot then lost it on the last day to Valencia.

This season they were third briefly at the weekend and now 4th I think.  They also just put out Ajax in the EL.  In short, they're a quality side.

They're shite to watch, big, strong, aggressive, direct, scrappy and with a bit of pace. Quite defensive.

They only have five forwards in their entire first team squad. One is 37 turning 38, one is turning 33, and another 31.

So they will have room for one more next season.  They don't have much money to spend, the £1.5 million they spent on him is actually a decent investment for them, and he fits the profile of their type of player - big, strong, mobile, hard-working.  I do think they obviously did/do plan for him to come back and be a first team player, but they're a seriously good side just now and not much room for him to get game time.

Last season I watched a 24 year old whose name I forget make his first team breakthrough at Betis scoring twice on his debut a few months into the season after coming through the ranks and going out on loan etc.  Harper turned 24 a few days ago, I know this as Getafe wished him a happy birthday on their Twitter feed.  So I think he still has an outside chance, we will see what he is doing next season.

So I think he still has an outside chance, we will see what he is doing next season.

Everything I read about Getafe says they are in the position they are because of their coach, José Bordalás. Other than him they're a bang average club. I know Bordalás gets a lot of stick for their style of play but surely a bigger team will try and nab him soon. When he's gone Getafe will tumble down the table and Harper will be back in the 2nd division before you know it.

1 hour ago, charger29 said:

Everything I read about Getafe says they are in the position they are because of their coach, José Bordalás. Other than him they're a bang average club. I know Bordalás gets a lot of stick for their style of play but surely a bigger team will try and nab him soon. When he's gone Getafe will tumble down the table and Harper will be back in the 2nd division before you know it.

He is bound to be a man in demand that's for sure.

But the point is its not like its a shite La Liga team he can't get game time at, its one of the best teams in the league. So people need to think of it more like Atletico Madrid just loaned him out than Leganes, cause they're much closer in standard, right now, to the former than the latter.

It won't have helped he has obviously suffered a long term injury. They will have been hoping he could go and play a full season and score a few goals, so that will have set him back a bit. 

Its hard to gauge where he is but I think he could still get his chance at that level and wouldn't completely write him off just yet.