Alloa v The Rangers

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a surprise. When there were rumours of him coming to Tannadice I really wanted him to sign - is it a problem with service to him or he just showing signs of being past it?

It's difficult to say, he's had some great chances fall to him over the last two weeks and has fluffed all of them. If I had to put it down to one thing it'd be a lack of confidence.

That feels like a defeat tbh. Really should have been 2-0 ahead when spence was clean through, haven't got any idea what he was doing when he slowed it up. Was impressed with Holmes today and sparky was decent along with Big Ben (some header when he wiped out Clark). Wee Kevin was disappointing for me. He couldn't control the ball, always looking for fouls when he lost it and was letting the ball get away from him all for to often. The rangers goal came from kev losing the ball in midfield and a bit of pin ball in the box before they bundled the ball home.

The number of rangers fan in the home end clearly celebrating their equaliser and still being allowed to watch the game was disappointing.

Might be the biggest weakness in his game. He really seems to struggle in one-on-ones.

It was real chance to kill the game, tbf he did alright up against Moshni and McCulloch.

Gordon should have been off, that was assault.

It was never a red card. Yellow was spot on.

We have been pretty poor, while Alloa have moved the ball about well, we are really missing Wallace and Macloed, now that Clark is injured a pairing of Boyd and Daly does not inspire me with confidence.

Clark was certainly causing our defence more problems than Boyd, who looked short on confidence. McLeod going off was a plus as well. With them absent and Wallace not starting, Rangers seemed completely devoid of creativity.

Tremendous performance from all the players today. We were the better team in the first half, playing some good stuff with the move and finish for the goal topping it off. They put plenty dangerous balls in the box, but nearly all of these were from free kicks (of which we gave a few away needlessly) and corners; the defence, however stood firm, with Ben Gordon turning in a huge performance IMO.

Second half we started well and Greig Spence should have scored when he cut in from the left, beating his man but firing straight at the goal when he had time to pick his spot. Generally I thought Greig had a good game.

Tiredness began to take the edge off the team's play and Sevco became more desperate, pumping balls in for Boyd and Daly. There was always a chance one of these would lead to a goal and it duly did.

Apart from Ben I thought Holmer had a very good game, with Cawley and McCord not far behind. Tiff also did well. Benedictus did OK too, althought I'm assuming he isn't left footed.

Well done to the management and players. Great point.

Points dropped, Hearts gaining momentum and 2 injuries that we didn't need. What a pishy week.

Boyd and Daly upfront now, more high baws is just what we don't need and Macleod will be a big miss if he's out for long.

It sounded like Alloa were really up for the game and we were pretty clueless at times.

Another lovely sunny day at the Recs Indodrill Awesomedome; seemed like the Rangers fans were well behaved and the closest I heard to any sectarian nonsense was a brief chorus of 'Rule Britannia' at kick-off. Pleasing.

Rangers had a few quick probing attacks at the start that came to nothing, but Alloa held solid and came into the game more as the first half went on. Barely a pass went astray, and we generally continued the good passing play that we've been growing into so far this season. We're gradually looking more dangerous in attack, and still taking our time in making shots on goal, which is starting to look like good strategy rather than a lack of ideas. By the time our lovely wee sex offender put us ahead, it was already looking like the opener was going to be ours.

Rangers' only response was heavy-handed, with some robust challenges flying around, including a petulant bit of all-in wrestling from the big Mohsni Monster, which somehow didn't result in a card of any colour. Ben Gordon (who appeared to have picked up some kind of injury early on, judging by the constant clutching of his abdomen whenever the ball went out of play) was handed a mystifying yellow almost immediately afterwards for a powerful headed challenge contested with Nicky Clark, who picked up an injury in his fall. The referee certainly seemed to have a poor game, and didn't seem capable of handling the increasing physicality of the match. Thankfully neither side got too out of hand.

If the first half was Alloa's, the second half certainly belonged to Rangers, with the Wasps pushed back further into their own half. Counter-attacks were still a regular occurrence, but lacked the threat present in the first, although Greig Spence did end up with the best (but unsuccessful) chance of the game for either side, a one-on-one with Steve Simonsen that fizzled out due to a strange decision to slow down rather than attack the goal. The pressure was dealt with comfortably for the most part, despite a short period of sloppy passing, but Alloa looked more stretched and tired as the final whistle neared, and it wasn't a surprise when Rangers finally managed to scuff the ball over the line towards the end.

The worst thing about the day came when Rangers appeared to have managed to force a winner at the death - groups of suspiciously quiet gentlemen in the home end suddenly found their voices and decided to taunt the home fans, only to lose their nerve and leave quite quickly afterwards . Surely murder is acceptable in these situations, or banishment from the human race at the very least. p***ks.

Other things of note:

- Steve Simonsen's glorious piece of ball control that almost resulted in a successful long-range punt into his empty net.

- A couple of lovely police gee-gees outside the ground, leaving large quantities of jobby all over the shop. No idea why, but this made me very happy, and I'm now of the belief that every wee club should have it's own polis horse allocated for reasons of morale :thumsup2

- I'd hate to be a Rangers player - I was too far away from the away fans to hear what was being said to their players, but the tone sounded quite vicious. The team may not be very good, but they certainly seemed to be trying.

Archived