Are all these countries wrong?

Casual Bystander

The Republic of Ireland's a small, largely peaceful country that sits near the top (and ahead of Britain) in practically index of successful nation states.

They play to their strengths and instead of wasting money pretending to be a superpower, they've went about creating a wealthier society than Scotland with a smidgen of the natural resources.

Yeah.

Shame these strengths don't involve actually having jobs for their citizens.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

August 27 2014

Laura Harmon, president of the Union of Students of Ireland, said the figures showed graduates still faced major obstacles in trying to get on the career ladder.

We know that youth unemployment is 26% so there really is a lack of job opportunities here,” said Ms Harmon. “Graduates have not seen any sort of recovery yet in the jobs market.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Playing to their strengths.

Yup,they're all truly independent in every sense of the word

Also, here is a list of those who share Sterling as their currency..................

I'm sure the people of Jersey would be upset about not getting a mention.

Read back and see who it is who has mentioned colonial power. I certainly haven't. If anything I have made it quite clear that the British Empire didn't exist when the vast majority of these countries became independent.

The countries you mentioned were all UK colonies. Scotland isn't a UK colony. Scotland is part of the UK.

The only country that you can compare to Scotland is Republic of Ireland. Even the likes of Guernsey aren't true independent countries.

I'd imagine its fairly important to the people who want a job.

Aye and the people here who work and still need state/charity intervention to get by probably feel that's pretty important as well.

It's all relative. Ireland isn't the blueprint but neither is staying in the UK and I can guarantee most Irish wouldn't want back in.

It seems as long as a Yes voter says it'll happen, then its on. It doesn't matter what the parties at Westminster say nor what the electorate would no doubt say to the notion.

Yup, that seems to sums it up pretty well.

Anything that contradicts their views is Scaremongering, Lies and Isn't Best For Scotland

Aye and the people here who work and still need state/charity intervention to get by probably feel that's pretty important as well.

It's all relative. Ireland isn't the blueprint but neither is staying in the UK and I can guarantee most Irish wouldn't want back in.

Ireland has also suffered a large "brain drain" to the UK (London in particular)........Scotland too. I very much doubt this would change after independence but at least as part of the UK we'd indirectly benefit.

A ridiculous list, ridiculous thread. I shall add to it mind you.

United States - 'This level of inequality offends the very basis of society' - Alex Salmond

Ireland - going ok, going ok, going ok, going ok, adopts monetary union, going ok, goes tits up, back to going ok

Cyprus - Richard Gough, 97 minutes. Get it up ye!

Jordan - a country? Better known for being a big titted slapper than a sovereign state.

Sri Lanka - moves from Empire, continues with cricket a serious sport.

Malaysia - has airline 'difficulties'.

Tuvalu, Kiribati and Vanuatu - about the size of Perth. Good for answers on Pointless.

Tanzania - difficult to spell properly.

Jamaica - best known for reggae music and people who can run fast. Add other Caribbean nations to said factors.

Zimbabwe - ran by a lunatic.

Uganda - once appointed Bobby Williamson as coach of national football team. Awful decision makers.

Iraq - about as stable as a one legged chair

Trinidad and Tobago - Dwight Yorke. Fucked another country. See above.

Malta - Maltesers. Great chocolate sweetie.

The Gambia - a psychic once said I'd live there in two years. That was in 2006. Never have.

Kenya - coffee and marathon runners.

Sudan (South Sudan) - that good it split again.

Swaziland - Richard E Grant. Nob.

Qatar - bribes to host a World Cup. A lesson an independent Scotland could follow to qualify again.

Swaziland - that awesome it made the list twice.

Brunei - sounds like a part of an arse.

The unemployment rate isn't a great measure of things when we have so many people in poverty with jobs.

Ireland has major problems but it's doing better than us.

I'd argue we make much greater provision for people in terms of things like public healthcare in the UK than they do in ROI. I'd agree it is a reasonable comparison, although saying that Ireland, while nominally part of the UK, was really an oppressed and disenfranchised colony. Scotland isn't

The whole thread is completely ridiculous though, it's a meaningless argument.

I'd argue we make much greater provision for people in terms of things like public healthcare in the UK than they do in ROI. I'd agree it is a reasonable comparison, although saying that Ireland, while nominally part of the UK, was really an oppressed and disenfranchised colony. Scotland isn't

The whole thread is completely ridiculous though, it's a meaningless argument.

Spot on. Was it not the 'Scots' who proposed the union in the first place?

Interesting fact about Swaziland.

The King (the last king in Africa - perhaps more progressive than Europe) of Swaziland, Mswati III introduced a chastity law in a bid to curb the highest HIV rates in the world (approx 40% of the population).

Shortly after, he chose himself a new wife (he already had dozens). The citizens weren't impressed.

So he fined himself one cow.

The King (the last king in Africa - perhaps more progressive than Europe) of Swaziland, Mswati III introduced a chastity law in a bid to curb the highest HIV rates in the world (approx 40% of the population).

Shortly after, he chose himself a new wife (he already had dozens). The citizens weren't impressed.

So he divorced his new mrs then ?

Who did he pay the fine to?

Archived