Are all these countries wrong?

Casual Bystander

Are you honestly comparing the way Nations of the British Empire were Governed to how Scotland (via Westminster) has been?!

Scots and Scotland played a major part in building that Empire.

Have a look at the countries listed then the dates they left Westminster rule. The vast majority left long, long, long after the British Empire ceased to exist.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In what way? giving up their own currency for the Euro?

You know I didn't realise that Ireland started off using the Euro rather than actually using the pound for the vast majority of it's existence. 1922 is when Ireland became an independent country. It's just over a decade that it's had the Euro.

And you were stating my argument was flawed?

Have a look at the countries listed then the dates they left Westminster rule. The vast majority left long, long, long after the British Empire ceased to exist.

Yes........as part of the agreement with the US for them joining WW2 in Europe.

The following are a list of modern countries that have gained independence from Westminster control:

• United States
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • India
  • Pakistan
  • Israel
  • South Africa
  • Ireland
  • Egypt
  • Nigeria
  • Cyprus
  • Jordan
  • Sri Lanka
  • Ghana
  • Kuwait
  • Malaysia
  • Tuvalu
  • Kiribati
  • Myanmar (Burma)
  • Tanzania
  • Jamaica
  • Malawi
  • Saint Lucia
  • Vanuatu
  • Zimbabwe
  • Uganda
  • Iraq
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Malta
  • Sierra Leone
  • Barbados
  • Lesotho
  • Botswana
  • The Gambia
  • Maldives
  • Kenya
  • Grenada
  • Sudan (South Sudan)
  • Samoa
  • Zambia
  • Guyana
  • Yemen
  • Fiji
  • Papa New Guinea
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Swaziland
  • Solomon Islands
  • Bahrain
  • Qatar
  • Mauritius
  • Nauru
  • Swaziland
  • Bahamas
  • Seychelles
  • Dominica
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Belize
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Brunei

This is the list of those who have asked to return to UK rule:

No-one wants anything to do with the UK....we're horrible people and its a horrible place to live too.

Loyal is described as "giving or showing firm and constant support or allegiance to a person or institution."

You wish to remain loyal to the union.

You are a loyalist.

But you well know that that particular word has connotations, both here and back home.

I could also point out that you have tried to link the debate to the OO in the past, and have previously stated that no voters should leave Scotland, but I didn't.

If I vote no, as I suspect I will, then it will be for reasons entirely unconnected to loyalism or the crown.

But you well know that that particular word has connotations, both here and back home.

It really is irrelevant. If you are loyal to the union, you are loyalist. It is an entirely correct description.

I don't see you complaining about people calling the Yes camp as separatists yet it's the same word used for those fighting in Ukraine.

Can't have it both ways.

The following are a list of modern countries that have gained independence from Westminster control:

• United States
  • Australia
  • Canada
  • New Zealand
  • India
  • Pakistan
  • Israel
  • South Africa
  • Ireland
  • Egypt
  • Nigeria
  • Cyprus
  • Jordan
  • Sri Lanka
  • Ghana
  • Kuwait
  • Malaysia
  • Tuvalu
  • Kiribati
  • Myanmar (Burma)
  • Tanzania
  • Jamaica
  • Malawi
  • Saint Lucia
  • Vanuatu
  • Zimbabwe
  • Uganda
  • Iraq
  • Trinidad and Tobago
  • Malta
  • Sierra Leone
  • Barbados
  • Lesotho
  • Botswana
  • The Gambia
  • Maldives
  • Kenya
  • Grenada
  • Sudan (South Sudan)
  • Samoa
  • Zambia
  • Guyana
  • Yemen
  • Fiji
  • Papa New Guinea
  • United Arab Emirates
  • Swaziland
  • Solomon Islands
  • Bahrain
  • Qatar
  • Mauritius
  • Nauru
  • Swaziland
  • Bahamas
  • Seychelles
  • Dominica
  • Antigua and Barbuda
  • Belize
  • Saint Kitts and Nevis
  • Brunei

This is the list of those who have asked to return to UK rule:

Yup,they're all truly independent in every sense of the word

Also, here is a list of those who share Sterling as their currency..................

It really is irrelevant. If you are loyal to the union, you are loyalist. It is an entirely correct description.

I don't see you complaining about people calling the Yes camp as separatists yet it's the same word used for those fighting in Ukraine.

Can't have it both ways.

I don't want it both ways, I simply refer to the "yes" camp and the "no" camp, both of which have some utter zoomers.

Yes........as part of the agreement with the US for them joining WW2 in Europe.

You haven't looked have you? You've just assumed that after 1945 all these countries were given the right of independence because they fought Hitler?

Canada become independent in 1982 ffs, New Zealand in 1986 as did Australia.

I don't want it both ways, I simply refer to the "yes" camp and the "no" camp, both of which have some utter zoomers.

I am sorry you have been tainted by the abhorrent actions of those who perform terrorism, but that doesn't change what the word means.

The BNP/EDL/UKIP supporters all wrap themselves in the Union Jack. I don't see people calling for it to no longer be used.

Yup,they're all truly independent in every sense of the word

Also, here is a list of those who share Sterling as their currency..................

It seems as long as a Yes voter says it'll happen, then its on. It doesn't matter what the parties at Westminster say nor what the electorate would no doubt say to the notion.

I am sorry you have been tainted by the abhorrent actions of those who perform terrorism, but that doesn't change what the word means.

The BNP/EDL/UKIP supporters all wrap themselves in the Union Jack. I don't see people calling for it to no longer be used.

No, I'd prefer them not to use it at all, but I can't stop them.

You have the option to use less emotive language.

Dunno what it is with Yes types and comparing being part of a political union to being ruled by a colonial power.

Read back and see who it is who has mentioned colonial power. I certainly haven't. If anything I have made it quite clear that the British Empire didn't exist when the vast majority of these countries became independent.

You have the option to use less emotive language.

:lol:

Yes, because it's only me. Forgive me for using the correct term.

In what way? giving up their own currency for the Euro?

The Republic of Ireland's a small, largely peaceful country that sits near the top (and ahead of Britain) in practically index of successful nation states.

They play to their strengths and instead of wasting money pretending to be a superpower, they've went about creating a wealthier society than Scotland with a smidgen of the natural resources.

Plenty I wouldn't do the same though.

- Huge over reliance on cheap credit and construction in the 90s

- Guaranteeing deposits the Gov couldn't afford

- Far too big a role held by Church in society

- Politicians handing out development contracts to their mates

Etc, Etc. Good to look to other countries and see what they've done well and poorly. We should aim to do even better than Ireland has by avoiding the pitfalls.

Ah, nothing to actually counter the point made, just a dismissal.

You are the perfect example of those who don't live in the country and don't have a vote.

There's little point trying to counter the slavering of someone who seems to be coming more delusional and ridiculous by the day.

The Republic of Ireland's a small, largely peaceful country that sits near the top (and ahead of Britain) in practically index of successful nation states.

They play to their strengths and instead of wasting money pretending to be a superpower, they've went about creating a wealthier society than Scotland with a smidgen of the natural resources.

Etc, Etc. Good to look to other countries and see what they've done well and poorly. We should aim to do even better than Ireland has by avoiding the pitfalls.

I don't disagree with a lot of what you say but it has to be said that they "rode the crest of the EU wave" throughout the last 20-25years in that they as a Country received far more than they paid in which regenerated much of the Country.

Unemployment rate almost twice that of Scotland.

Archived