The Vow

ForzaDundee

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gordon Brown's reputation is mud if he doesn't get these extensive new powers.

Beat me to it! :lol:

Honestly though you couldn't make this shite up. Like Confi said "Look at the amount of No voters, even now, that think everything's just peachy."

I personally think that a whole load of them are just happy to get back into their wee apolitical comfort zone, where they're not asked to make a choice or take any responsibility.

Gordon Brown's reputation is mud if he doesn't get these extensive new powers.

Yep, probably right. As soon as he starts asking folk to sign petitions, when it was his initiative and he got the party leaders to sign up, you know he is getting desperate.

Beat me to it! :lol:

Honestly though you couldn't make this shite up. Like Confi said "Look at the amount of No voters, even now, that think everything's just peachy."

I personally think that a whole load of them are just happy to get back into their wee apolitical comfort zone, where they're not asked to make a choice or take any responsibility.

Exactly. The sort of pathetic wee shrinking violet who'd rather there never was a referendum in the first place. The fact is that we were promised a definitive timetable and quick drawing up and implementation of extra powers on the back of a No vote.

It doesn't matter that some No voters don't think extra powers are necessary, the fact is they were guaranteed with a No vote. It's a cock up, no matter how you look at it.

Has anyone contemplated what if we get everything? I know it won't happen, but it throws up a constitutional quagmire.

We could have Scottish MP's only voting on Defence & Foreign Affairs and getting the same salary as their English counter-parts.

Scottish constituent MP's could not become PM

The step to full independence becomes a very, very small step to take.

I'm sure there's more, but those few examples show why we will never get anything like federalism

Who on Earth could the Guardian editorial been referring to when it talks about a "hard on from a no vote"? :o

I think Brown's 'hard on' at the no vote has subsided a bit.

Read today that Iain Duncan Smith claimed £100 for wet wipes on his expenses. These fluckers are taking us for a ride.

Thanks no voters.

As to DevoMax. Can any no-voter here state why Scotland would be inable to handle defence of foreign affairs on her own?

I think Brown's 'hard on' at the no vote has subsided a bit.

Read today that Iain Duncan Smith claimed £100 for wet wipes on his expenses. These fluckers are taking us for a ride.

Thanks no voters.

As to DevoMax. Can any no-voter here state why Scotland would be inable to handle defence of foreign affairs on her own?

I also don't see why Scotland would want DevoMax but still want Trident in our waters.

Brown is just making it look like he's saying 'well I helped sway the vote by making promises I can't be arsed following though with, so I'll just leave Joe Schmo to do my job for me.'

Brown,s ludicrous petition is the beginning of Labour,s Pontius Pilate act.

Don't blame us, its all the fault of those nasty Tories & their West Lothian question

As I have said all along, BTUKOKNOTHANKS, and I include Labour in that, have long thought that the electorate are far more daft than they actually are. They'll realise soon that we're not all stupid.

From Pete Wishart's wordpress blog page

DEAR MR SPEAKER, CONCERNING THAT GORDON BROWN ‘DEBATE’
Posted on

October 1, 2014

Dear Mr Speaker,

I am writing to you, the Leader of the House, the Shadow Leader of the House and the Chair of the Backbench Business Committee, concerning the debate secured by the Right Honourable Member for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath on the 16th of October on the subject of the UK Government’s relationship with Scotland.

The Right Honourable Member for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath revealed to the press that he secured this debate with your kind permission and he has since described this debate as a substantial debate on the ‘vow’ made concerning the timetable on ‘more powers’ for Scotland. As you are aware, this debate is nothing other than an end of day adjournment debate, meaning that it will only last only half hour, is un-amendable and can not be voted on. These debates usually involve only the member who has secured the debate and the relevant Minister responding. In this case, this will mean that no-one but the Right Honourable Member for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath and a Minister from the Scotland Office will be given the opportunity to speak, unless granted through intervention from the Right Honourable Member himself. Mr Speaker, you know only too well, that the Right Honourable Member for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath is not exactly renowned for his generosity in debate.

Such an adjournment debate is clearly insufficient to address the full range of concerns about the issue of ‘more powers’ promised to Scotland. These ‘more powers’ were guaranteed in a ‘vow’ from the Prime Minister, the Deputy Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition and was communicated to the people of Scotland on the front page of a national daily newspaper on the eve of the referendum for Scottish independence. Many voters, in considering how they would be voting in that referendum, were influenced by this ‘vow’ and have since been following with interest the progress of how the ‘vow’ will be honoured.

Since the Right Honourable Member secured this debate, many things have happened with this ‘vow’ and the debate has moved on, making a full debate even more pertinent and necessary. The Prime Minister, within hours of the referendum result being announced, put forward plans for the voting rights of Scottish MPs to be considered concurrently with any legislation on ‘more powers’ for Scotland. This was the first time that the issue of the voting rights of Scottish MPs had been mentioned in connection with a ‘more powers’ offer to Scotland. Such is the concern that this ‘vow’ is being undermined, that the architect and organiser of ‘the vow’, the Right Honourable Member for Kirkcaldy and Cowdenbeath, himself feels the necessity for a petition signed by 100,000 Scottish to ‘guarantee’ these ‘more powers’.

A solemn vow made by the Prime Minister, the Deputy Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition must surely rank as one of the most important joint statements delivered by the House in recent times. A half hour adjournment debate is, therefore, clearly insufficient to consider all the issues concerning this ‘vow’ to the Scottish people. I am therefore asking you, Mr Speaker, with co-operation with the Leader and Shadow Leaders of the House and the Chair of the Backbench Business Committee, to cancel all other business on the 16th and give the day exclusively to the ‘vow’ made to the Scottish people in advance of the referendum on Scottish independence. The business for that day consists of backbench business debates on a ‘national pollination strategy’ and a debate on ‘a report from the all-party cycling group’. Whilst these are extremely important issues, I am sure you would agree that they can be fully debated on another day.
I very much hope that you will agree to this suggestion and I look forward to your reply.

Yours sincerely,
Pete Wishart MP

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-29433919

I wonder if, straight after the election, Cameron declares that such a vow would be meaningless? :rolleyes:

In his speech in Birmingham, Mr Cameron also said:

A Conservative government would protect the NHS budget

He would "deliver" on a pledge of "English votes for English laws"

The UK could not "walk on by" in the battle with Islamic State extremists

Immigration would be at the heart of his EU negotiation strategy

A vote for UKIP at the next election would be "a vote for Labour"

He would scrap the Human Rights Act

Every teenager could have a place on the National Citizenship Service

The more things change the more they stay the same.

Archived